Things that have withstood the test of time

Comments

• The wheel has made a lot of things possible.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

Classical music.
    Music fads come and go with each generation but classical stays popular.

Errrr...what sort? And define "classical"? Is there a cut off date? As for music fads, plenty of those dating back centuries.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Pross said:

Sliced bread, not sure what the best thing was before it came along.

Does that not bring us back to the knives KG mentioned above?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    Amazon.com
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • secretsam

Pross said:

Sliced bread, not sure what the best thing was before it came along.

Does that not bring us back to the knives KG mentioned above?
    Which came first, bread or knives?

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    secretsam said:

Classical music.

Errrr...what sort? And define "classical"? Is there a cut off date? As for music fads, plenty of those dating back centuries.
    There are apparently considered to be 4 periods of classical music dating from 1650, which seems pretty longlasting to me.

https://medium.com/mozart-for-muggles/the-evolution-of-classical-music-a-brief-overview-d158b009c7b0
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Who knows the name Malcolm McClean? No??

Well, he invented the shipping container, pretty much single-handedly. That's certainly withstood the test of time.

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5026.html

wasn't he in the Die Hard documentaries?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,599
    Eh, me? 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    The Tamiya paint pen I just used. Bought it when I was 15, for a BMW motorbike model I was building.
    Still works! I now use it to label plugs, etc (I just turned 52...!)

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have a DJ that, tbf, I don't wear very often - but it is still in good condition and looks way better than most newish ones. I bought it from a vintage shop in the 80s, and it dates back to the 40s. Funny to think that more time has elapsed since I bought it than from its origin to that date.
  • pblakeney
    Digital memory.
    I remember having to delete photos as my HD was getting full. Now restored.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

Who knows the name Malcolm McClean? No??

Well, he invented the shipping container, pretty much single-handedly. That's certainly withstood the test of time.

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5026.html

wasn't he in the Die Hard documentaries?
    No. You’re getting him mixed up with the bloke who invented toothpaste.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Classical music.

Just cos it randomly came on the radio, but from a genre that offers very little in the way of memorable music (not least because of the mind altering chemicals consumed with it), this is just an almighty <90s> choooooone </90s>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZhC8DUD_o&amp;ab_channel=DanceNation
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

That would be 'storage' (on a Hard Drive) not memory. Memory (Random Access Memory) is volatile and is wiped when the power is removed.
    The way storage works and what it's made of has changed somewhat over the years
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

That would be 'storage' (on a Hard Drive) not memory. Memory (Random Access Memory) is volatile and is wiped when the power is removed.
    I see pedantry is alive and well too. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,691
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

The word 'pedantry' has been around for over 400 years.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Sidi's
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,691
    SPD cleats. Reckon I get 10,000 miles from a set.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Most of the stuff in my house would be appropriate for this thread apart from the kitchen appliances and digital cameras. I rarely buy anything new and never replace things unless they break. Here is my 1913 Gibson A4 mandolin and an item that was ancient when the mandolin was new. Both get regular use in the way the makers intended (at least if Gibson intended their mandolins to be played badly....). The only thing in the shot that isn't really old is the only thing that was pretending to be old when it was new - the little drawer unit. The other stuff was bang up to date when it came out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Mountains
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

Err and the M in ROM stands for?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    rolf_f said:

Most of the stuff in my house would be appropriate for this thread apart from the kitchen appliances and digital cameras. I rarely buy anything new and never replace things unless they break. Here is my 1913 Gibson A4 mandolin and an item that was ancient when the mandolin was new. Both get regular use in the way the makers intended (at least if Gibson intended their mandolins to be played badly....). The only thing in the shot that isn't really old is the only thing that was pretending to be old when it was new - the little drawer unit. The other stuff was bang up to date when it came out.

Is that a hand crank bellows?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

Read Only Memory or even Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory is not where one’s pictures are stored on a Hard Drive, these are used for other purposes
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

I'm sorry you see it as 'pedantry' but the terminology used was just plain wrong. You wouldn't say "I called into Tesco's today and filled my sump up with petrol" would you? ;) Well I hope not!
  • rjsterry said:

My set of J B Addis & Sons carving chisels. Old when my grandfather picked them up as an apprentice joiner in Chatham Dockyard.

It raises an interesting question as to what's the oldest thing that one regularly uses, in either domestic or work setting. I suspect mine would be the trumpet at the top of the thread.
    Mine is my 1957 Selmar M6 Alto Sax. Knives are generically old, but not the one in your hand, bread after knives, discovered/ invented Ancient Egypt
  • bompington
    ddraver said:

from a genre that offers very little in the way of memorable music (not least because of the mind altering chemicals needed to make it sound good)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZhC8DUD_o&amp;ab_channel=DanceNation

FTFY
  • bompington

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

Congratulations, you have passed my S2 unit on computer architecture
  • pblakeney

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

Read Only Memory or even Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory is not where one’s pictures are stored on a Hard Drive, these are used for other purposes
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Digital memory.

I'm sorry you see it as 'pedantry' but the terminology used was just plain wrong. You wouldn't say "I called into Tesco's today and filled my sump up with petrol" would you? ;) Well I hope not!
    You knew what I meant though, didn't you?
    All that matters. See the smiley? Means I'm joking/not fussed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    Is anyone else still using a Garmin Edge 800? I'd definitely throw mine into the ring. When I try and think what other tech devices I'd have been using around that time, most of them have been comprehensively outstripped yet my little edge 800 carries on just working even though it's been dropped in streams, crashed into rocks on the MTB, ridden through years of winters etc.

Garmin made a gem with that one...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Is anyone else still using a Garmin Edge 800? I'd definitely throw mine into the ring. When I try and think what other tech devices I'd have been using around that time, most of them have been comprehensively outstripped yet my little edge 800 carries on just working even though it's been dropped in streams, crashed into rocks on the MTB, ridden through years of winters etc.

Garmin made a gem with that one...

I'm still using an Edge 200 which I bought in 2012
  • ddraver
    I should add that I've just connected it to a device that I can't even imagine was on Garmin's horizons when they designed it but yet it connected first time and works fine...
    - @ddraver