"Comedies" you don't find funny

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited February 2021 in The cake stop
Gavin and Stacey.
Just...why? There's nothing funny there.
Your turn...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Gary and Stacey
  • secretsam
    Balls. Autocorrect.
    :D

• secretsam said:

Gavin and Tracey.
    Your turn...

Agreed. Apparently making unfunny observations in a welsh accent someone counts as humour in the eyes of a lot of people.

I'll add Mrs Brown's Boys.
  • secretsam

I'll add Mrs Brown's Boys.

Obvious but justified. By not being funny.

• secretsam
    Controversially, I will also add much of Monty Python. Some gems, lots of...not gems...

• My Family.

There's very few that I'd class as actively unfunny, but this fits the bill.

Fwiw, as someone from the SE who has in-laws in South Wales, I think Gavin and Stacey is genius.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Detectorists - is it even a comedy ? I may be being unfair calling it unfunny if it's not supposed to be but it's listed as a comedy on Wikipedia. I enjoy watching it but it doesn't make me laugh.

This Country - similar to Detectorists it has all he elements you'd expect from a comedy but it's not actually funny.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • My Family.

Fwiw, as someone from the SE who has in-laws in South Wales, I think Gavin and Stacey is genius.

Somebody at work tried to insult me by saying “you are the sort of person who would find my family funny”

I had never even heard of the show so he was taken aback by the sincerity of my reply “I have never met them but yes I probably would”
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    secretsam said:

Controversially, I will also add much of Monty Python. Some gems, lots of...not gems...

I tend to agree with you. My kids have started watching it and the vast majority is...dated.

Still like the films though
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited February 2021
    secretsam said:

Gavin and Stacey.
    Your turn...

this, entirely. utterly totally shytt
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Sarah Pascoe " Out of her mind"

utter shytt.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • My Family.

Somebody at work tried to insult me by saying “you are the sort of person who would find my family funny”

I had never even heard of the show so he was taken aback by the sincerity of my reply “I have never met them but yes I probably would”
    Amazingly, there is 118 episodes of it. If I see 10 seconds by mistake when I turn the TV on, I feel worse about humanity.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Already mentioned frequently all over the forum but mrs browns boys is just not comprehensible to me as being funny on any level.

It is not a funny idea done badly, it’s just not funny.
  • morstar
    The mrs like Gavin & Stacey so I have seen the Christmas episode last year but that is all.

I just found it unfunny but not something I couldn’t watch. Some tripe the mrs watches I can’t stand to listen to. Gogglebox being one. Just people trying to get noticed.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Anything with Miranda Hart in it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    morstar said:

Already mentioned frequently all over the forum but mrs browns boys is just not comprehensible to me as being funny on any level.

It is not a funny idea done badly, it’s just not funny.

It's the sort of programme that really makes me question what 'comedy' is... I just can't work out what part of it is supposed to be funny.
  • morstar

I quite enjoyed them first time round but mrs has been rewatching. Doesn’t stand the test of time. The OTT nature is grating when the novelty has gone.

Maybe it’s an age thing.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    morstar said:

I quite enjoyed them first time round but mrs has been rewatching. Doesn’t stand the test of time. The OTT nature is grating when the novelty has gone.

Maybe it’s an age thing.

I think there is an element of that. And with older comedies where you realise you/people were laughing at things where thankfully attitudes have changed massively (e.g. blatant sexual assault in M*A*S*H).
  • morstar

morstar said:

Maybe it’s an age thing.

I think there is an element of that. And with older comedies where you realise you/people were laughing at things where thankfully attitudes have changed massively (e.g. blatant sexual assault in M*A*S*H).
    There should probably be a things that don’t stand the test of time thread.

I have many things I have loved that simply don’t stand up in later years.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,279
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Maybe it’s an age thing.

There should probably be a things that don’t stand the test of time thread.

I have many things I have loved that simply don’t stand up in later years.
    No need to bring partners into this
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    It's more fun if you list the things you enjoy - as most people don't like most comedies.

Anyway, a highlight last year was King Gary.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,589
    Pretty much any comedy in recent years. Observational comedy translates as unfunny. The only TV that made me laugh out loud recently was Cobra Kai and it's not a comedy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Funniest things i've seen lately is pretty much anytime Bob Mortimer is on Would I Lie to You.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Proud to say that I never found David Walliams funny.

Now he's been revealed to be...problematic
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The tired comic game show format created because it's cheap to make and fills a time slot.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    ddraver said:

Proud to say that I never found David Walliams funny.

Now he's been revealed to be...problematic

Has he? I don't follow celebrity gossip what's he done?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    edited February 2021
    The right-on Jack Monroe doesn't like his books.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/david-walliams-childrens-books-branded-18562259

But, yeah, Little Britain, not funny.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

The right-on Jack Monroe doesn't like his books.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/david-walliams-childrens-books-branded-18562259

But, yeah, Little Britain, not funny.

Beginning the attack, Monroe revealed: "Small Boy completed his D*vid Walli*ms book collection today, so I finally decided to take a read of the latest. (It's important to note here I've not bought a single one.) It's like Little Britain for kids. 37m copies sold? Of this sneering classist fatshaming grim nonsense?."

So mum of the year doesn't take any notice of what her child is reading, let alone not bothering reading with or to them. Does she let people just give stuff to her kids without checking or even looking? But it's ok because she gets her virtue signalling in by making it clear that she didn't buy any.

She may or not have a point about the books, I can't comment as I haven't read any of them. Perhaps others on here have.

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Most of the current lot, the world is crying out for a new incarnation of Bob Newhart.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213

Definitely. She's actually far better as a straight actor albeit most of the things she has been in aren't to my taste. She seems to think she is Morecambe and Wise reincarnated and, I believe, says her sitcom is inspired by them which is insulting to Morecambe and Wise. This is pretty bad as unlike most (old) people I don't think Morecambe and Wise were funny either. Hopefully this is a sign that I'm just about young enough to not appreciate them.

I'm really struggling to think of any comedy that has aged well. Only Fools and Horses and Blackadder still work for me but I know the gags too well. Other stuff I found hilarious at the time just isn't amusing anymore including The Young Ones. Very few modern sitcoms are amusing to me, although it is mainly obvious and cliched Not Going Out is about the only thing that raises a chuckle, I do quite like Lee Mack.

I've only seen a few episdoes of Gavin and Stacey mainly as I just cannot stand Corden.