Last Film Watched

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

1917. Don't know if it's cropped up here yet but we watched it yesterday. it starts off well enough but gets a bit silly when one of the main protagonists is given a lift to his destination (to pass a message to some troops not to launch an attack) when the whole point was the only means of getting there was on foot. The "one continuous shot" was a gimmick that actually worked and you can still appreciate the scale of the production and the quality of the acting if you can forget the gaping p!ot hole.

Yeah, I posted something above about it. Friendly planes flew over a few times. Why couldn't the message hobby plane?
    Indeed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    Can recommend the Personal Life of David Cooperfield by Iannucci. Good fun.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Can recommend the Personal Life of David Cooperfield by Iannucci. Good fun.

I managed about 10 mins before I switched it off. I just couldn't get into it. I don't know why as I love Iannucci's stuff normally.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,924
    Pixar's Soul on Disney +

Pixar knocking it out of the park again

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021

Pixar's Soul on Disney +

Pixar knocking it out of the park again

I watched the first 10 mins of it and couldn't make head nor tale of what was going on...then realised my 20 month old had switched it to the Norwegian sound track!

Gonna have to restart it in English in a day or two.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Watched a film last night for the first time in 3 or so years, not really my thing.

The Death and Resurrection Show, pretty much an autobiography of Killing Joke, one of the most influential bands of the last 40 years.

As a big fan I'm easily pleased, but I thought it was fascinating, linking together their love of the occult and how it affects their decision making and provides so much material for them to be creative from.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    Just watched Wonder Woman 84. Worthwhile for Gal Gadot in that costume but other than that really not great. There's no real relevance of it being set in 1984 and other than a bit of a scene about the fashion it could be set at any point in the last 40 years or more. The first one was one of the few superhero films I've enjoyed so was disappointed. I'll re-watch the first one if I need more Gal.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I recently became the last adult in Britain to watch "The King's Speech". Enjoyed it immensely, even felt sorry for him (the king).

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • elbowloh
    secretsam said:

I recently became the last adult in Britain to watch "The King's Speech". Enjoyed it immensely, even felt sorry for him (the king).

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good, a nice charming story with some nice performances.

Watched the new Bill and Ted film on Amazon the other night.

It's terrible, but kind of in a good way. I guess it was more the nostalgia that made it watchable.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,394
    The Dig. Ralph Fiennes Netflix.
    Pleasant, well acted, nice hats, nice house, not terribly exciting. Based on a true story.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    6 Underground on Netflix. Two hours of Ryan Reynolds action, excellent stunts and one liners. Fine if you are in the mood to disengage brain, but don't expect any more than that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Bill and Ted face the music. We’re big fans of the san dimas wasters in the gti house. This didn’t disappoint. Shaky storyline, awful acting but good fun.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Frozen 2 - Enjoyed the first one, this on lost my interest early on and never recovered. Tashgirl enjoyed it though!
  • Pross
    Watched Birds of Prey last week. I hadn't seen Suicide Squad and I'm not a comic book fan so didn't know the character back stories but it was entertaining enough nonsense plus had Margot Robbie in it.

Started watching Gone Girl on Friday but haven't had time to finish it yet. I know I'm late to the game and most will have seen it but it has been excellent so far, I'm just over half way I think.
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

Watched Birds of Prey last week. I hadn't seen Suicide Squad and I'm not a comic book fan so didn't know the character back stories but it was entertaining enough nonsense plus had Margot Robbie in it.

Started watching Gone Girl on Friday but haven't had time to finish it yet. I know I'm late to the game and most will have seen it but it has been excellent so far, I'm just over half way I think.

Went to see Gone Girl on the 2nd date with the wife. She used to find it difficult to sit through movies, but was engrossed by that one.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Gone girl is very clever.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Went to see Gone Girl on the 2nd date with the wife. She used to find it difficult to sit through movies, but was engrossed by that one.

Was she taking notes? :#:D;)
    (The book was good too.)
  • elbowloh
    Harry182 said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

(The book was good too.)
    We have recently moved...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    elbowloh said:

Harry182 said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

(The book was good too.)
    We have recently moved...
    Ominous. I’d recommend steering clear of the coeds.
  • News of the World with Tom Hanks, nice western with an unusual story line and some of the usual western scenes... available on Netflix
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney

News of the World with Tom Hanks, nice western with an unusual story line and some of the usual western scenes... available on Netflix

Good film, slow but engaging would be my summary.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Watched The Dig last night, typical British ensemble film based on a true story (that I wasn't aware of) of the self-taught archaeologist Basil Brown who discovered the Sutton Hoo ship. Nothing earth shattering dramatically or particularly original but a nicely shot and well acted tale of the snobbery Brown had to deal with from the established archaeologists who mocked his claims the boat was from the Anglo-Saxon era.
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

Watched The Dig last night, typical British ensemble film based on a true story (that I wasn't aware of) of the self-taught archaeologist Basil Brown who discovered the Sutton Hoo ship. Nothing earth shattering dramatically or particularly original but a nicely shot and well acted tale of the snobbery Brown had to deal with from the established archaeologists who mocked his claims the boat was from the Anglo-Saxon era.

We were watching that the other night, but the wife fell asleep (which she does most evenings now), I stopped it so we could watch the rest together.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2021
    If you are looking for a new action movie look no further than Extraction (2020) on Netflix. The only "Hollywood" aspect is Chris Hemsworth. Best in a while.

Edit:- Would have been so much better with the first two minutes cut completely.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    pblakeney said:

If you are looking for a new action movie look no further than Extraction (2020) on Netflix. The only "Hollywood" aspect is Chris Hemsworth. Best in a while.

Edit:- Would have been so much better with the first two minutes cut completely.

I watched this but can’t remember a thing about it 🤔 Not normally a good sign for a film.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    edited February 2021
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

We were watching that the other night, but the wife fell asleep (which she does most evenings now), I stopped it so we could watch the rest together.
    it's quite good but what I thought was a bit odd was they trailed a more interesting relationship for 2/3rds of the film but then left it well alone to go for a more conventional relationship for a couple who had not been present for the first 2/3 of the film.

might be better watched in summer as on a dark February evening it made me hanker for the long summer nights.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,610
    Finally got round to seeing Walk the Line.

Enjoyable film, if a little formulaic. Good performances as you'd expect from the two heavyweight lead actors. Live performance sections were well done.
  • elbowloh
    Haven't watched it yet, but Coming to America 2 is on Prime and considering watching it.

Has anyone seen it yet?

I know I'm going to be disappointed, but how much?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

Haven't watched it yet, but Coming to America 2 is on Prime and considering watching it.

Has anyone seen it yet?

The kids watched the first one recently and quite liked it. Read a review of the second and I’d prepare yourself to be very disappointed.
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

Has anyone seen it yet?

The kids watched the first one recently and quite liked it. Read a review of the second and I’d prepare yourself to be very disappointed.
    The Will Gompetz review? I tend to disagree with a lot of his reviews.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk