Cero RC55 Comp Wheelset - opinions?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,593
edited July 2020 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I've been aware of Cero for ages - never come close to buying their wheels, although I know they are reputed to being pretty light in comparison to competitors, both at low and higher end prices.

Today randomly (Actually I realise due to a post on the bargains thread!), today the RC55 wheelset caught my eye - it's stunning, and I can't help but think my Foil would really suit them, as per the picture below.

1390g, as opposed to my 1650g Cosmic Carbon Exalith wheels, that are 50mm front and rear.

I was all set on some Scribe 65\50s, but they don't work with my C2W provider, but it looks like this place might do, which would bring them down to a very similar price.

I have mailed them to see if that is indeed the case.

Here is the link: https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/clincher/cero-rc55-comp-wheelset

From the look of it, the 'spokes' are nipple-less, which I assume means it would be a ballache, or likely completely impossible for anyone to true them if there were issues.

I suspect it would be a heart purchase rather than a head one (Weight aside) but am curious to hear what the forumites have to say about them.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited July 2020
    17mm inner rim width seems a bit on the low side these days, especially given the Foil will take bigger tyres. I also wouldnt be able to get past the fact you could buy a decent bike for similar money....though appreciate plenty of people do spend this much on wheels. I've been procrastinating for the past 3 months over a wheelset that might set me back £550!

....do look nice though
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    They look the bomb I'll give you that but I'd be wanting to read some very positive reviews before shelling out that amount of cash. I certainly wouldn't be buying them blind and crossing my fingers that they perform as good as they look.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    There's better available for less money using more standard components in my opinion.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    A set of 50mm wheels with Shimano Ti hubs, weighing in at 1495g is available from Malcolm at Cycleclinic. These will save you £200 and give you peace of mind that you will at last be able to get them serviced and repaired should any problems occur

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/borg50-carbon-clinchers-tubeless-ready-20f-24r-26-5mm-wide
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2020
    Thanks L2R, yes I did notice the internal width is not up with the current trends, but according to Sheldon Browns chart, 17mm (same as my cosmics) internal is more than comfy with 28s, and tbh (currently running 25s) that is the very widest I would go.

I fully realise there is better available for less, but as shortfall concisely hit the nail on the head, they do indeed look the bomb.
    And IF I xan get them through c2w, they end a more palatable £600 cheaper, only £30 more than the scribes I was looking at.

I've looked at Enve wheels before, which have a good rep, but they can be circa 3k I think.

Visually, these are the first wheels I've REALLY wanted to own, which is pretty much the same with the Foil, and also the Langster Monaco. Shallow as that is, I prefer a functional item if it appeals to me aesthetically, and has that special (to me) wow factor.

I know it would be nuts to buy them with seemingly zero reviews, but I am strongly tempted, and at the end of the day, I guess someone has to take the leap and chance it, otherwise new products would never get off the ground.
    Cero themselves seem to have generally good reviews, but I'll do some more research.

P.s I think I have some of Malcolms wheels bought second hand off a forum member, and they are top notch.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2020
    Watching various videos, they seem to have really good reviews - the brand rather than that wheel.

Found a thread on here about free hub failures.
    Might give them a call to discuss the wheel design.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I have a couple of pairs of Cero wheels - AR24 (so light!) and RC50 (light and fast). I have a lot of miles on the AR24s and they've been really good. The RC50s are less used so far, but they seem okay.

A couple of mates have the RC35s, which are very much like the original Fulcrum Quattro, but... and there's a theme here... lighter.

They're mass-produced, but handbuilt (to a point), from standard, available items.

I'd be more wary of something like the RC55 or a Meilenstein... what happens if you damage a spoke?

Saying all that, as my grandad always said, "you can't eat five pound notes, get it spent!"
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2020
    Cheers Ben, appreciate the feedback.

It would be a heart purchase for sure, but my Foil isn't my high mileage bike, and I tend to be fairly careful, although I appreciate accidents are named because they are unexpected!

I agree on the spoke front, perhaps that would write the wheel off, but I think I will discuss this with them when I call.

Also noticed that full price should be £2000, and they are 25% off as an introductory offer, and as my c2w scheme is not available to me again until December, I doubt it will be viable that way - sadly I am still keen though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    It seems a tech step up from CERO, which basically just assembled cheap components previously. Looks like they have hired someone from Madfiber, after they went under.
    left the forum March 2023
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    daniel_b, I have the Ar24 evo wheels and they are very light for a sub £200 wheel set. I would phone and ask for Tom as he's very open and helpful. I had an issue with odd spokes going and he arranged collection, replaced the spoke and retensioned the rest ( something I had never done do ) dropped off to me afterwards free of charge.
    He will discuss any concerns you have. I rate my Ar24s and would buy cero wheels in future. T.
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2020

It seems a tech step up from CERO, which basically just assembled cheap components previously. Looks like they have hired someone from Madfiber, after they went under.

Hi ugo, yes I gathered they basically bought the parts, although one of the reviews I watched said they had not hidden the fact that a specific wheel model came in fully assembled, and they just checked it was ship shape.

I will look up Madfiber - despite them being no more.
    tonysj said:

daniel_b, I have the Ar24 evo wheels and they are very light for a sub £200 wheel set. I would phone and ask for Tom as he's very open and helpful. I had an issue with odd spokes going and he arranged collection, replaced the spoke and retensioned the rest ( something I had never done do ) dropped off to me afterwards free of charge.
    He will discuss any concerns you have. I rate my Ar24s and would buy cero wheels in future. T.

Thanks @tonysj for that, I will likely try and give them a call tomorrow to have a chat through.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2020
    So I rang them today (Their phone line is BUSY) and spoke to Tom, who was very helpful.

In a nutshell:
    - 2 year warranty
    - Servicing of hubs can be done at home
    - If a spoke were to get broken, the wheel is almost certainly written off
    - They believe the wheel is so stiff it can't go out of true
    - They use swissstop black prince pads
    - They can't supply different colour decals, but can remove the original ones.
    - You can run clincher tyres, but they don't recommend latex tubes - which is a shame
    - They have sold a few sets already

So plenty for me to think about - it's still a tempting proposition, despite the written off wheel potential, as if something that bad had happened, I suspect it would be a properly major event.

I shall have to ponder this in detail over the weekend - I have just sold a pair of carbon zone 60mm wheels, which I need to send later, to that helps towards the cost, he said, trying to make it feel like less money.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Of course the wheel can't go out of true... this is not a wheel built with tension, it works like a cart wheel.
    If you like that sort of thing and you have that sort of money, surely you want to look at Lightweight rather than Cero?

You wouldn't buy a luxury car from Dacia, you'd get a Mercedes
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2020
    Cart wheels work for me :-)

Truth of it is, that I wouldn't buy a Mercedes, as I don't like them, and I like to get something a little bit different (If I can) from the obvious.

There are two standout appealing factors to me of this wheel.
    - Weight
    - Looks

Lightweight seem to be around £2200 - £3000, and Enve wheels fall into the higher part of that bracket, which is huge.
    If I see a bike with the above wheels on, I know they have cost a thick wedge of cash.

I like the stealth factor of these as well, and the fact that most people (If I debadge them and or put Scott or Foil decals on them) will not give them a second look.

My brother had spinergy wheels on his Caad 3 when he bought it way back when, and I guess these are in a similar vein perhaps:

Having said the above, and searched for Spinergy, I see they still make wheels, and with colour options.
    https://slanecycles.com/spinergy-fcc-47-wheelset-p-29574.html?sesid=ce2p7nprgde5drd27v6h7qihu6

Holy moly!

Shame they are 1600g.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Give Derek at Wheelsmith a shout and be enlightened.
  • daniel_b
    edited February 2021
    Just to update this thread, the Cero RC55s have vanished from the website, so I can only assume they had recurring issues, or not enough sales.

Though when I rang up they said a few sets were out there, so not sure.

In the end I stumbled on a barely used set of Enve 6.7s - maybe a bit deeper than I was planning, but the price was very good, and the weight is pretty good (1415 grams) too, so a decent upgrade over the Cosmics which are TT bike bound = tied in with an EZ Disc cover for the rear.
    Yet to fit them, but they'll be on by the summer, though have new decals to fit before then as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18