Opinions on Cannondale Topstone 1 (2021)

rsmrnd61
rsmrnd61 Posts: 11
edited February 2021 in Road beginners
Hi guys,
Looking to get the gravel bike and currently looking at Cannondale Topstone 1 2021.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-1?sku=c15701m10xs

DRIVETRAIN
Bottom Bracket
FSA Cartridge
Chain
KMC X11, 11-speed
Crank
FSA Omega AGX+ Alloy, 46/30
Front Derailleur
Shimano GRX 800, braze-on
Rear Cogs
Shimano 105, 11-34, 11-speed
Rear Derailleur
Shimano GRX 810, Shadow RD+
Shifters

Breaks
Brake Levers
Shimano GRX 600 hydraulic disc
Brakes
Shimano GRX 400, hydraulic disc, 160/160mm RT54 rotors

pretty looking bike with looks like a comfortable geometry. But, in terms of price seems a bit overpriced for the specs you get. What's you opinion on this bike? Maybe someone already owns the Topstone, please share your opinion. Also, what alternatives you will suggest to look at?
Cheers

Comments

• PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    That is just the cost of bikes now, I have seen a few bikes jump a few hundred £ recently. Halfords, Decathlon and PlanetX are all doing carbon fibre gravel bikes for less than that though, so would be worth a look.
  • Aside from having one fewer gear the Boardman ADV 8.9 is basically the same and half the price. I'd get one of those instead if you can find one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Hi there.

It's a nice bike. Lovely. £2000 is a lot for a bike, though, regardless. A lot of people who spend a lot of time on bike forums can spend more, but £2k is still £2k.

Is it double the bike of a £1000k bike? Probably not, but then, if you're going to spend hundreds of hours on it, then you will probably appreciate going for the more expensive bike.

So just be honest with yourself about what you want from the bike - not just in terms of how much you're going to use it but where - if you're set on gravel roads forever then why not.

Joe's right, there are better value bikes out there and the Boardman's are very good for the money.

I do find the reviews on here and elsewhere quite informative, so do your research there.