Wheel turning backwards when pedalling backwards!?

After installing a new Freehub Body on my Giant Defy Advanced 2 2018 I've noticed something rather strange! When on the stand the rear wheel turns, at some speed, when back-pedalling. There's often a small movement from the rear wheel but I've never seen anything like this before. The cranks also continue to rotate of their own accord for quite some time after pedalling forwards.

Obviously something is sticking but my main question is, is this an issue? It isn't in anyway noticeable when riding, only when the bike is on the stand. Does it need to be fixed and if so what could be causing the issue? When googled most results suggest the freehub body needs replacing but it's brand new.

Comments

• It could just be sticky pawls in the freehub, either strip it and lube them, or give it a few miles to see if they free up by themselves
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2021
    Ignore Bianchi.

check that the washer between the freehub and the hub isnt missing, when you take the freehub off to check make sure theres no crud in there.

I've notice the effect with a new hub where the cranks continue to rotate, I quite like it because in my mind its free speed (even though i know its not). Ive never noticed the freehub being so stiff that i can pedal backwards.
  • Doesn't look like there's meant to be on there...

• david37 said:

Ignore Bianchi.

check that the washer between the freehub and the hub isnt missing, when you take the freehub off to check make sure theres no crud in there.

I've notice the effect with a new hub where the cranks continue to rotate, I quite like it because in my mind its free speed (even though i know its not). Ive never noticed the freehub being so stiff that i can pedal backwards.

“Ignore me”? Then you post that crap :D

• samfailed said:

Doesn't look like there's meant to be on there...

You’re right, there isn’t.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    It’s probably just thick sticky fresh grease. It’ll free up.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

david37 said:

Ignore Bianchi.

“Ignore me”? Then you post that censored :D

General point based on years of experience, clearly not every hub is exactly the same. So yes, ignoring you is generally and therefore always a good thing to do.

Headsets anyone?

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    D speaks sense. Listen to D.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • But there is no washer?!? :D
  • I had similar symptoms about 6 months ago after changing my (8-speed shimano) freehub body. A more concerning effect was that if the wheel was spinning forward and I stopped pedaling then the top part of the chain would go slack / baggy (as the chainset stopped but the wheel and cassette kept turning).

My wheel was a cup and cone wheel and the problem seemed to me to associated with the driveside dust cap. I can't recall the precise problem now, but I removed the dust cap and the problem disappeared. I am now riding around without a dust cover, but I will just have to keep repacking the bearings with grease every now and again.

My issue might be completely different to yours, but you might want to have a good look at the dust cover.

Good luck..
  • Still can't workout what's going on. Does anyone know if this is actually an issue? Doesn't seem to effect my riding so I guess not? The chain doesn't seem to sag when freewheeling.