The Rugby Thread

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,207
edited June 2021 in The cake stop
France looked impressive in their opener but hard to tell how much was them being very good and how much was Italy being poor.

Scotland with a win over England at Twickenham for the first time in 38 years. The biggest mystery was how they didn't win by much more than 5 points. England were completely outplayed throughout. Scotland just lack a bit of a cutting edge but also played a very territorial game so kicked away a lot of their possession. They did try to do one of their classic defeat from the jaws of victory moves with a minute to go by attempting a drop goal instead of keeping on with their pick and drive game.

Wales to get thrashed by Ireland tomorrow unless they have somehow improved massively in the last couple of months.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Fair summary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    One of the biggest 5 point thrashings. Congratulatons Scotland on a thoroughly deserved win.
    Scotland did everything bar put points on the board. England picked the wrong 10, have the wrong captain, and a 15 who can't make one on one tackles.
    Hogg nailed on 15 for the Lions.
    Farrell will be lucky to be near the Lions unless he improves massively.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Wonderful result by Scotland - completely outplayed england.

Different class completely.

Top result.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited February 2021
    If you were reading the headline you would think it was a shock result: it wasn't.
    The shock was why were England were so woefully disjointed and seemingly lethargic?
    I thought Cameron Redpath had a brilliant debut and collectively Scotland were by far the hungrier of the two sides.

Not looking forward to tomorrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy

If you were reading the headline you would think it was a shock result: it wasn't.
    The shock was why were England were so woefully disjointed and seemingly lethargic?
    I thought Cameron Redpath had a brilliant debut and collectively Scotland were by far the hungrier of the two sides.

Not looking forward to tomorrow.

Cam Redpath is quality - he seems to have time to do things. He was my MotM.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Wales definitely on for the wooden spoon this year. Obviously as a loyal welsh man I’ll watch every game with the naive hope that the boys will come good.

Fair play to Scotland today, mind. Not a great game though
  • Feel gutted after England’s dismal performance, don’t know where to start really I just hope Eddie Jones does :'(
  • Pross
    johngti said:

Wales definitely on for the wooden spoon this year. Obviously as a loyal welsh man I’ll watch every game with the naive hope that the boys will come good.

Fair play to Scotland today, mind. Not a great game though

I would hope we'll beat Italy at least!
  • Pross
    All the talk of England's brilliantly bench and they added nothing. The scrum half had a shocker when he came on.
  • Enjoyed it - always funny when England lose at Twickenham.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Repeat: Snigger 😎
  • Why?
  • Why?

The confused looks on their faces. And I'm sure they brought prince William on as a replacement towards the end to distract the Scots.
  • I'll add that I really enjoy watching them play well and win as well. Always something to enjoy.
  • pblakeney

I'll add that I really enjoy watching them play well and win as well. Always something to enjoy.

I must admit to the guilty pleasure that is seeing Owen Farrell brought down a peg or two.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle

Why?

Because they are utterly totally arrogant, they think that everyone should just roll over and hero worship them.

No sportsmanship, not cool, no personality. Nothing. Not even a dog as a mascot.

Crowds full of cheering middle class Daily Mail readers all singing the first 4 lines of Swing Low because thats the only ones they know.

Every time they lose is sheer joy.

The Man Utd of rugby.
  • How dare you compare a Salford football team with English rugby? :o
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    MattFalle said:

Crowds full of cheering middle class Daily Mail readers all singing the first 4 lines of Swing Low because thats the only ones they know.

I know this has come up before but it always amuses me when that gets sung, if that's the correct terminology, along with the spurious association with Offiah when any fule kno it was a post match drinking song accompanied with all the gestures.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Enjoyed it - always funny when England lose at Twickenham.

Why?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I couldnt watch, nothing to do with the quality of the game but i couldnt listen to the commentary, (and i enjoy the commentary) All i could hear was the dubbed in crowd and see the empty stadium. p****d me off.

• pblakeney
    The wheels fell off the chariot? 🤣

It may well be a touch annoying but I did see the funny side of this in my feed.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    I always assumed singing Swing Low had some link to the line in Jerusalem.

I really don't understand why they don't adopt Jerusalem as their anthem, it's far more stirring than GSTQ. I was watching the anthems yesterday and thinking how much more fired up Flower if Scotland got the players. Having been in the middle of the Millennium Stadium pitch singing both Welsh and Scottish anthems for the 6 Nations opener 3 years ago I can certainly see the benefit of a good anthem and all the other nations have one.
  • MattFalle

How dare you compare a Salford football team with English rugby? :o

sorry - not sure what you're getting at. what do you mean?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    @Pross not to mention that GSTQ is the British anthem (in theory). Happy for the English to have it if they want it of course
  • Pross
    Ireland doing a great job of keeping hold of the ball and stopping Wales getting any chance to take advantage of having the extra man. Wales by contrast kicking away what little possession they get and their lineout is shocking meaning Ireland can kick long any time they're under pressure.

Shocking indiscipline by O'Mahony for his red card though.
  • Pross
    More like it. Blazing Saddles will be happy with that.
  • pblakeney
    I missed the red card both in play and at half time. What happened?
    Game on now though!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Dorset_Boy
    pblakeney said:

I missed the red card both in play and at half time. What happened?
    Game on now though!

Shoulder to the head at a ruck. Came in at speed too. Red all day long.
  • Pross
    Yeah, at least get your arms in front of you and give yourself a chance of mitigation.
  • pblakeney
    Cheers!
    Things currently looking better for Wales.
    Veronese68 wrote: