Looking at the 2021 Stumpjumper alloy. Yes? No? Upgrade to a higher spec?

I'll try to keep this brief but offer a little background so you know what I'm looking for in a bike.

I'm relatively new to the sport and currently riding a Trek 4600 hardtail that was fine for determining whether this new "hobby" would stick, but now I need a real full suspension bike. I'm someone who never thought I'd spend even $1,000 on a bike, but am really enjoying myself and ready to commit to some better equipment. Would love to keep under the $3000 price point, and the new 2021 Stumpjumper Alloy stands out as a good option at $2200. But then... I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm primarily a trail rider. I wouldn't say all cross-country but you won't find me flying through the air more than 3 feet off the ground or doing extreme downhills. Drops are fun... but landings can be harsh on my hardtail and old body which have led to a recurring foot/ankle injury that kind of sucks. Rear suspension seems like a necessity at this point.

I've read all the "top 10 under 3k" lists etc and don't really know what to trust. Lots of brands I've never even heard of. And absolutely any bike will of course have varying opinions. The new Stumpjumper stands out as a good bike for me from a reliable brand, but I have some questions. I won't list out all the specs, but here are the two models I am currently comparing:

2021 Stumpjumper Alloy $2200
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-alloy/p/175253?color=281624-175253&searchText=93321-7001

2021 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy $3200
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-alloy/p/175253?color=281624-175253&searchText=93321-7001

1) The basic model is $2200. For $1,000 more I get upgraded specs that I'm sure are a much better deal that upgrading after the fact. The way I see it, the $2200 model is going to be so much better than what I'm riding now, I should be content with that and be able to ride it happily for years. But are there specific upgrades in the Comp model that I will regret not having?

2) Considering maintenance costs, if I were to get the upgraded Comp Alloy would I also be looking at more expensive long-term maintenance given the more expensive components? Lower because they are more durable? About the same?

4) For yet another $800 more at $4,000 the full Comp model gets me a carbon frame and some handy features like storage for a multi-tool and tube. This all looks great (amazing, really), but I think for my level in the sport, it's getting away from my comfortable price range.

5) Finally, are there better bikes out there that I should really be considering in this price range? I've done a lot of reading and watching videos and it's hard to know which brands I should really be considering. But for whatever reason, this 2021 Stumpjumper just stands out to me. Willing to be talked out of it to end up with a better bike.

Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• My bad... second link to the Comp Alloy model should have been:

2021 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy $3200
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-comp-alloy/p/175252?color=281625-175252&searchText=93321-5201
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Decide on your budget first. In your post you have varied between $2,200 and $4,000. That's quite a range.
    The Stumpjumper is a great bike I used to have an alloy one and really liked it. However, I think recently Specialized have become poorer value for money than they used to be.
    If you go in the middle of the price range you have mentioned I would have a serious look at the Giant Trance 29 2. It has better forks, gears and brakes (in my opinion) than the equivalent priced Stumpy and the Giant Maestro rear suspension is really good.

With the way things are at the moment though you'll have to take whatever is available unless you are willing to wait for a few months for delivery.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Since I had $4,000 but was happy with the $2,200 bike I ended up just buying two of the alloys. The bright orange it turns out is best for day to day riding, while the black is essential when skydiving at night to go for a ride behind enemy lines.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Good thinking! :)