Restoring Alu Frame

ed1973
ed1973 Posts: 284
So it’s still lockdown so I have time on my hands so started a new project. I bought this Charge Plug Singe Speed and the frame is showing some signs of it’s age. The laquer is flaking off the rear triangle, and there are some marks on the seat tube. How do I go about getting this close to its normal finish?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Polish, probably using a mop on a power tool, and different grades of abrasive.
  • ed1973
    Thanks for this, will I need to re-apply laquer?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    If you want to retain a mirror finish then definitely. And it'll stop salt corrosion too. Of course, another option is to get it powder coated in the colour of your choice.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    what fletcher said. tbh my experience is that youll have a shed load of work to get a mirror finish again. youd still have to do quite a bit of work to get a good paint finish.

get some funky paint on there. :)
  • ed1973
    It’s a hack bike, I might just cover it with a big sticker and put my feet up ha ha
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Either that or n+1
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    just get it powder coated chtrome colour.

best of both worlds.

#sorted
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    ed1973 said:

It’s a hack bike, I might just cover it with a big sticker and put my feet up ha ha

If it's a hack best if it's not too shiny so thieving scrotes don't covet it too much. Keep it working well but looking a bit scruffy