How to get rid of MucOff C3 lubricant PLEASE

I've been using Muc-Off C3 ceramic lube for about 3 years (both wet and dry versions according to season). It seems OK as a lube but seems to build up. Obviously last year I didn't do so much mileage but I'm hoping to do more as this spring kicks in. So I just started to service my bikes to try and get moving. The Muc-Off C3 has set like glue on the chains, derailleurs and other bits I used it on. The chains are so stiff they will hardly bend. The bearings in the derailleurs are so stiff I can hardly turn them. To be precise, when I back pedal the whole derailleur winds up backwards because the chain is so stiff. I cant change gear because its too stiff. So I've taken it to bits and started to try to clean the Muc-Off off. Its set as hard as a rubber glue. I've tried every solvent I can think of, started with usual degreasers obviously including Muc-Offs own rubbish cleaner then went to Gunk, WD40, white spirit, paraffin, hot water with detergent, vinegar and meths. I've got the chain in a bath of petrol now to leave it overnight and see what happens. Does anyone please have any idea before I throw two perfectly good chains away (a few hundred miles each and there is no stretch) and have to replace other parts of my transmission. Before anyone asks NO I do not recommend Muc-Off it is simply the worst product I have used on any bike in 55 years (I started riding when I was 10)

Comments

• Lay a few sheets of kitchen paper on an induction hob and coil the chain onto it. This should melt the old off but might not actually work. Let us know if it does.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Putting aside the mess Muc Off lubes make, particularly the wet lube, blaming Muc Off because you didn't clean your drive chain is not really the right thing to do. The Muc Off directions clearly say to clean the drive chain before applying lube. It sounds like you have just been reapplying lube on top of lube to end up with everything jammed up.

A bit of heat is probably your best bet to get everything moving again. Try a hot air gun or pouring boiling water froma kettle on a section of chain and see if that melts the solidified lube. If that is successful then you'll probably have to do each component seperately.
    Once you have everything cleaned up apply a sparing amount of lube to the chain. You don't need much. Bear in mind you may have washed any grease out of the jockey wheel bearings so check them and regrease if necessary.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Chuck everything in the dishwasher, preferably someone else’s. That should sort it out.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    How hot was the water you tried? Try straight from the kettle on a section of chain.

Similar discussion here https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/removing-dry-lube-wax-residue-from-drivetrain/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • drop it across a car battery, that should do the trick.
  • In case it helps anyone, nothing got the glue out of the chains so I ditched them. I took the cassettes, chainrings etc completely apart and scraped the goo off. Petrol helped to get the last bits off but it didn't dissolve it just weakened it. I think JBA was right, although I only applied lube a bit at a time I put a bit on each time before I went out so it must have built up. The chains were brand new when I started but I didn't strip them completely just cleaned them. Lesson learned
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I dislike Muc Off lubes, I use FinishLine Wet when it's wet and Finish Line Dry in the Summer. I have been doing this since 2008. Zero problems; the lube works and they both clean off easily.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited February 2021
    I'm a fan of Squirt lube. Use it all year round and don't have any problems with build up. I clean my chains regularly though so that helps no doubt.
    Tried Muc Off lubes a few years ago and didn't like them. The dry lube didn't last long and the wet lube just made a sticky mess.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Used it once as its all the LBS had on the shelf.

its the same as muc off de-greaser: expensive, trendy, over priced and not that good.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.