S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
La Marseillaise live now.
Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet

Comments

• DeadCalm
    Kirby completely unaware that Simon Carr is now French?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm said:

My bad. He has dual nationality. Impressive ride by the 22 year old in any event.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    Paret-Painter takes it in a reduced sprint.
    Team My Man 2022:

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I feel like people are on the edge of their seats hoping for Kirby to make a mistake. Tough job and tougher audience.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    DeadCalm said:

Not just Carlton. The graphics at the side of his name showed a Union Jack.
  • DeadCalm
    webboo said:

DeadCalm said:

Not just Carlton. The graphics at the side of his name showed a Union Jack.
    Yeah. I saw that which caused me to check. I'd previously read that he'd taken French nationality. Hadn't realised he'd retained British nationality too. Born in Hereford but raised in the Pyrenees. He looks to have something about him.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    inseine said:

I feel like people are on the edge of their seats hoping for Kirby to make a mistake. Tough job and tougher audience.

Apart from calling Lawless and Stewart as potential winners long after they'd been dropped on the climb, I thought he did okay yesterday.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm said:

On screen images had the union flag next to his name to be fair.
  • DeadCalm
    Etoile de Bessèges coverage now on l'equipe TV.
    Team My Man 2022:

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,818
    I can only dream about being able to ride in a short sleeve top in Europe - been sleeting here off and on all day.
    Delko Look bikes look nice - rim brakes.
  • DeadCalm
    Etoile de Bessèges - stage 1 went to Christophe Laporte, after a short uphill sprint, with Bouhanni in second and Mads Pedersen 2 seconds back in third. Rather generously I thought, most everyone else was given the same time as Pedersen.
    Team My Man 2022:

• It was a pretty decent last couple of kms.

Laporte was brilliant, hopefully Cofidis will have a better year.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    edited February 2021
    Etoile de Bessèges Stage 3
    Group of 17 riders (Kwiatowski, Bernal, Wellens, Gilbert, van Avermaet, etc) were clear by 2min+ at the ascent of Côte de Tharaux with 70km left. The peloton led by Cofidis and EF failed to close the gap over the following kms with the gap still at c2 min with 15km and the final short climb. Kwiatowski attacks but during the descent hits a patch of oil and ends up riding into the grass verge - Tim Wellens escapes on the descent and gradually builds a slight lead (helped by teammates Gilbert and Oldani controlling the chase). Wellens solos to the finish to take the stage and the overall lead. Good to watch.

1 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal 3:28:02
    2 Edward Theuns (Bel) Trek-Segafredo +37
    3 Mads Würtz Schmidt (Den) Israel Start-up Nation +37
    4 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) AG2R Citroën Team +37
    5 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Lotto Soudal +37

Van Avermaet now sans gold helmet, just a gold band on his sleeve.
  • DeadCalm

Etoile de Bessèges Stage 3
    Group of 17 riders (Kwiatowski, Bernal, Wellens, Gilbert, van Avermaet, etc) were clear by 2min+ at the ascent of Côte de Tharaux with 70km left. The peloton led by Cofidis and EF failed to close the gap over the following kms with the gap still at c2 min with 15km and the final short climb. Kwiatowski attacks but during the descent hits a patch of oil and ends up riding into the grass verge - Tim Wellens escapes on the descent and gradually builds a slight lead (helped by teammates Gilbert and Oldani controlling the chase). Wellens solos to the finish to take the stage and the overall lead. Good to watch.

1 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal 3:28:02
    2 Edward Theuns (Bel) Trek-Segafredo +37
    3 Mads Würtz Schmidt (Den) Israel Start-up Nation +37
    4 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) AG2R Citroën Team +37
    5 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Lotto Soudal +37

Van Avermaet now sans gold helmet, just a gold band on his sleeve.

Rats! I had to work and couldn't watch. It sounds like a good one. Thanks for the report.
    Team My Man 2022:

• hommelbier
    Etoile de Bessèges Stage 4

Cracking ride today from Fillipo Ganna. He was part of an original breakaway group of five (De Bondt, Brunel, Robeet, Perez & Ganna) which, with 18km remaining, as the peleton was closing up, was joined by Turgis, Bettiol,Terpstra and Latour. Robeet was soon dropped as was Brunel.

With 9km remaining Ganna made his move powering off the front of the group, slowly building up a lead of 20 secs despite the best efforts of the chase group. Cyrille Guimard makes a favourable comparison to Cancellera as Ganna holds on to take the stage.

1 Filippo Ganna (Ita) Ineos Grenadiers
    2 Christophe Laporte (Fra) Cofidis +17
    3 Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe +17
    4 Greg van Avermaet (Bel) AG2R Citroën Team +17
    5 Milan Menten (Bel) Bingoal WB +17

Tim Wellens takes a 44s lead over Theuns into tomorrow's final stage.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sounds similar to the Sagan stage 10 win the giro
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I hope Ganna is having a go at the Classics this year. Maybe not this year, but he seems to have the ability to derail the MVDP v WVA narrative
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • DeadCalm

Etoile de Bessèges Stage 4

Cracking ride today from Fillipo Ganna. He was part of an original breakaway group of five (De Bondt, Brunel, Robeet, Perez & Ganna) which, with 18km remaining, as the peleton was closing up, was joined by Turgis, Bettiol,Terpstra and Latour. Robeet was soon dropped as was Brunel.

With 9km remaining Ganna made his move powering off the front of the group, slowly building up a lead of 20 secs despite the best efforts of the chase group. Cyrille Guimard makes a favourable comparison to Cancellera as Ganna holds on to take the stage.

1 Filippo Ganna (Ita) Ineos Grenadiers
    2 Christophe Laporte (Fra) Cofidis +17
    3 Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe +17
    4 Greg van Avermaet (Bel) AG2R Citroën Team +17
    5 Milan Menten (Bel) Bingoal WB +17

Tim Wellens takes a 44s lead over Theuns into tomorrow's final stage.

Thanks again for the report. Work once again intruded. Was happy that I would be able to watch today and then checked the stage to discover it is an 11 km time trial. Doh! Ganna to take his second stage win then and Wellens to confirm the GC victory.

Provence and Tour Du Var are on GCN so I should be able to watch on catch-up if I can't watch live. I'm particularly looking forward to the latter which has a ridiculously strong Ineos team (including Pidcock) in the provisional start list. Quintana, Fuglsang, Pinot and the Martin brothers (Dan & Guillaume) amongst others slated to ride.

Ineos provisional team for Du Var:

VAN BAARLE Dylan
    PIDCOCK Thomas
    SIVAKOV Pavel
    DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    THOMAS Geraint

Team My Man 2022:

• hommelbier
    DeadCalm said:

Ganna to take his second stage win then and Wellens to confirm the GC victory.

As expected Ganna won easily, while Wellens (4th) was able to retain the overall comfortably. Kwiatkowski (5th) just behind Wellens, was able to move up to second on general classification.

Three British riders in top ten for the stage.

• DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

Ganna to take his second stage win then and Wellens to confirm the GC victory.

As expected Ganna won easily, while Wellens (4th) was able to retain the overall comfortably. Kwiatkowski (5th) just behind Wellens, was able to move up to second on general classification.

Three British riders in top ten for the stage.

Yeah. I should have labeled it 'spoiler', lol. Impressed with Hayter's third place. Four Ineos in the top 10, two in the top 3!

Team My Man 2022:

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    gweeds said:
    I saw that... his 12.5 min power is better than my 1 min PB :'(

Beast.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878

gweeds said:

Beast.
    Yeah, but surely he's heavier than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clutching at straws!

• bobmcstuff

gweeds said:

Beast.
    Clutching at straws!

Hahahaha

He would have to be about sixty kilos heavier than me for that to add up...
  • Should have found the 12 watts needed to get over 1000!

That's almost Kristoff on the Kwaremont levels of strength.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    gweeds said:
    Yes, though what's the consensus view on his peloton positioning?

Or are we saying it's irrelevant as when it matters he will have Rowe?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

gweeds said:

Beast.
    Clutching at straws!

Hahahaha

Zwift has turned you into a Numbers Obsessive... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

gweeds said:

Beast.
    Clutching at straws!

Hahahaha

Zwift has turned you into a Numbers Obsessive... ;)
    I already was, don't think Zwift had much to do with it... Although before Zwift I pretty much only looked at FTP, which means my power over 1 or 2 mins and less is completely rubbish.

We had a club e-hill climb last night (on a 2 min hill on Zwift). Thought I had done pretty well, 446 watts for 1 min and 422 for 2 mins (both decent PBs, 6.4 and 6.1 w/kg), but it was only good enough for 10th :'(

My power curve is more of a gentle slope than a curve...
  • DeadCalm
    Provence on now is worth a watch.
    Team My Man 2022:

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Alaphilippe, Moscon and Ciccone at 45s, 60km to go. And it's sunny.