Tools to remove the bottom bracket

From the videos I've watched, I just need an Allen key and something like this, am I right? Or will I need anything more?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0716NX7KC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_XGMWAGMM04HERM0Z05YY

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Possibly..... we would need to see some pics to help you with that question. All bb standards are simple, the problem is there are loads of different standards and even within the same standards different mfrs will produce different variations requiring different sized tools

Naturally since this is cycling there are a corresponding million and one possible tools.

Sorry for the long answer
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited February 2021
    You’ll need a rubber mallet, and a sealed cartridge BB removal tool ( preferably one of the ones attached permanently to a lever).

• piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    edited February 2021
    I think if you have got as far as looking at videos we can assume that the tool in your link is the right for your bike. That link includes a sealed cartridge bb removal tool.
    You will need a 1/2 in drive swivel handle or T bar or a spanner to fit it.
    If your BB has been in for a while they can be a bit tight to get out. A long swivel handle is best.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    If it needs a tap, you need a dead blow hammer not a rubber mallet.

Both cost the same at B&Q, one is the proper tool for the job, the other is a rubber mallet which is not the proper tool.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • So the removal tool, allen key and dead blow hammer and I should be good?
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    w7london said:

So the removal tool, allen key and dead blow hammer and I should be good?

Well, you can take a horse to water but you cant make it f*in drink!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    Without knowing exactly what bottom bracket you have it's hard to be sure. The tool you linked to will do for that type of bottom bracket, maybe post a picture of what yuo have so we can be sure. You may not need to hit it, but if you do a dead blow hammer is jsut the kiddy. But rather than buy one just for that job try without first. Just don't use a regular hammer.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,340
    If in doubt. give it a clout.
    I'm sure that's Mrs P's mantra.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited February 2021
    MattFalle said:

If it needs a tap, you need a dead blow hammer not a rubber mallet.

Both cost the same at B&Q, one is the proper tool for the job, the other is a rubber mallet which is not the proper tool.

Yet Again, you’re wrong. There’s a surprise.

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-rubber-mallet/p55000

Here’s what I’ve used for years, many times, to get sealed cartridge BBS and cranks off.
    You only need a dead blow hammer if your working in confined spaces where a rebound would cause damage to something surrounding what your hitting, which does not really apply to a crank, or the BB tool. I’ve even used a wooden mallet successfully >shock horror<. Just don’t use a metal hammer, that could cause damage to the cranks / tool.