Short travel trail bike for heavy rider.

Hello everyone,

Hope everyones well and keeping safe.

So, im after a full suspension mtb - as those of you are aware from my previous posts.

I have fell in love with the marin riftzone carbon 2 29er. It has a fox 34 130mm up front and 125mm fox shock at the rear. Id love the bike, but i face 1 problem. My weight. Im 6ft 4 and 15 and half stone. I ride terrain found in the peaks and other terrain found on long distance rides (rocks and other rough terrain - some drops).

Im worried that my weight, and my relatively aggressive riding on the above terrain will be too much for the bike and its suspension. I'll be conscious of the weight through the relatively thin fork and the thought of bottoming out due to the shorter travel suspension. However, i just dont see the need for me to have a bike with longer suss (i.e 150mm +). Will bottoming out damage the bike at all? Also, theres the 29er wheels - could weight be a problem with those?

What do you all think? Would it be ok do you think? Love to hear you thoughts and advise.

Cheers,

Sam

Comments

• oxoman said:

You'll be ok with 34s at your weight. Your not massive at 15 stone. The only thing you need to do is set the forks up properly with a shock pump. I ride 120m 32 fox floats around the peaks and various trail centres on my Anthem and have been near your weight before losing it. PS I'm only 5" 8.
    The only issue I've noticed 29ers is they can need a bit more TLC with a heavier rider, as your normal for your height I wouldn't be to worried unless doing massive drop offs. Thin forks are 30,s anything else above is ok unless doing hardcore enduro / downhill stuff, which your not.

Thank you. I was just a tad concerned with the terrain in the peaks.... But saying that at the moment im doing it on a fully ridgid marin 😂 and since yoir doing it on a XC bike, theres no worries 👍👍

I guess having to much suspension can take the fun out of things when not using its full travel.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    15.5st on Fox 34s won't be a problem.
    I have been riding my hardtail on Fox 32s for the last 3 years (and 18 months before that the forks were on my Trance) without any trouble and at one point I was nearer 18st.
    Set the forks and shock up correctly and enjoy the ride.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    +1 to what Oxoman and JBA said.
    Just set up the suspension %sag
    There is loads on YouTube on what to do.

Even our very own Bike Radar has a ten minute guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs&feature=youtu.be
  • +1 to what Oxoman and JBA said.
    Just set up the suspension %sag
    There is loads on YouTube on what to do.

Even our very own Bike Radar has a ten minute guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs&feature=youtu.be

Thanks mate, appreciate it
  • Reason i was concerned regarding the thin fork is because i contacted a well-known youtube mtb reviewer and he said he wouldnt advise a 34, as it is a thin fork for my weight. Its good to hear from some people that have first had experience. Cheers
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I weigh 14.5 stone in my riding gear and I used to ride all over with my 32mm dia stanchions. I even went to the French Alps for a week with some that size. Also the downhill bike park in Wales, Antur Stiniog. That was rough and found the blue trails demanding enough for me!

The 34mm stanchions you are planning are more than fine, they will be great. :)

• I weigh 14.5 stone in my riding gear and I used to ride all over with my 32mm dia stanchions. I even went to the French Alps for a week with some that size. Also the downhill bike park in Wales, Antur Stiniog. That was rough and found the blue trails demanding enough for me!

The 34mm stanchions you are planning are more than fine, they will be great. :)

Thanks Steve 👍
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    My 32mm Sektors can struggle. If I ride hard enough and really load the forks they can bind.
    Funnily enough that never happens on my 32mm diameter bombers but they are coil and have a 20mm axle.

Agree with all other comments. 34mm plenty enough.