How do you store all your clothes/accessories?

I've got a wealth of sports items:

Wet Suit
Some triathlon stuff
Mountain biking stuff
Road stuff
running stuff
Compression tops, shorts
joggers
running socks
hiking socks
etc.....

I'm moving soon and I'm sick of basically tearing a room apart to find the 3 items I need every time.

Do you guys use a specific storage solution, like i've seen ikea have some really clever ways of boxing things off.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited January 2021
    Best way I've found as someone who moved regularly (#FuckBrexit) was to work out what you really used over winter/summer and keep the rest separate.

Then you realise you haven't worn that e.g. base layer for two summers now, it can go in the 'Sally Army Bin'. Meanwhile, you can compartmentalize the stuff you actually DO use into a sensible chest of drawers and a wardrobe (or whathaveyou)

I guess the equivalent for you may be to put stuff in a bin bag under the stairs or something and see if you actually go and dig it out.

(Also, watch the film on Netflix about minimalists. they make some good points...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Two boxes in the bottom of my wardrobe. Running stuff in one, cycling and other sports in the other. Wetsuit hanging up. I try to sort the running stuff, that I use most, into a system but it never works and I just pull everything out looking for a particular t shirt and chuck it all back in a heap. Sports socks supposed to go on one side of my drawer but again all end up mixed together after a few days.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    When we had fitted wardrobes built here, I had a specific section built for cycling kit. Bibs and jerseys hanging and baselayers/socks/warmers/hats/glasses on the shelf below in separate piles. Caps are in the "bike cupboard", arranged on clothes pegs.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I use packing bags from amazon. one for tops, one for bibs etc. Takes up a shelf in my wardrobe. also have seperate summer and winter ones. summer ones currently in a box in the loft

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014VBI3HK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    At the moment they're all stuffed in a large compartment under the bed. Once i've moved everything else in to the new wardrobe, I expect they'll be in plastic containers with lids. Split between warm weather and cold weather and tops and bottoms.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    I found IKEA PAX to be quite good as you can design it all online.
  • elbowloh

We looked at that, but not sure why we ruled it out. We went with someone called Online Bedrooms. We provided the measurements and they cut and supply all the bits. We then have to put it together. Tbh, it's been a sodding ball ache. I'm no chippie and it needs a lot of scribing and cutting to fit flush.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    elbowloh said:

We looked at that, but not sure why we ruled it out. We went with someone called Online Bedrooms. We provided the measurements and they cut and supply all the bits. We then have to put it together. Tbh, it's been a sodding ball ache. I'm no chippie and it needs a lot of scribing and cutting to fit flush.
    To be honest, I paid someone else to fit it all too. It was really good. They went to IKEA (several it turned out), bought everything, turned up at 8am, carried it all up the stairs, built it all, took the rubbish away and left at 6pm.

I have the advantage that the space it has gone in is 1.5cm longer than a round number of metres, so looks fitted except the 10cm space at the top.
  • I found IKEA PAX to be quite good as you can design it all online.

That's actually what we're looking at. My thought was I could label parts of the wardrobe or draws and they also just look really good for organisation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,232
    What do you guys do in the winter with kit you've worn once for a short ride but can get another wear out of it?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Add it to the pile of crap in the corner only to forget about it and find it two weeks later.

Isn’t that what everyone does?
  • johngti
    Wow, the swearing filter has strong mojo. Clap-l+r was censored that time! I don’t know whether to be impressed at its efficiency or disturbed that I’m not allowed to use such an innocuous word any more...
  • redrabbit said:

I've got a wealth of sports items:

Wet Suit
    Some triathlon stuff
    Mountain biking stuff
    Road stuff
    running stuff
    Compression tops, shorts
    joggers
    running socks
    hiking socks
    etc.....

I'm moving soon and I'm sick of basically tearing a room apart to find the 3 items I need every time.

Do you guys use a specific storage solution, like i've seen ikea have some really clever ways of boxing things off.

Surely the issue here is the unnecessary running & swimming stuff? ;-)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    edited February 2021

What do you guys do in the winter with kit you've worn once for a short ride but can get another wear out of it?

Wear it again on the ride home. (This is a pre-pandemic answer.)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

The aforementioned minimalists would say hang it up - ideally somewhere with a bit of breeze - and it'll be fine...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I've never re-worn kit other than on a return commute (where I always hated putting it back on).
  • elbowloh
    I don't wear things again if they are base layers or in direct contact with me. I'll only wear again jackets, gillets, second layers etc.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Luckily I do not have much kit.

But with the kit I do have, some jackets and jerseys I have hung up in my wardrobe.
    As someone else mentioned, winter kit, so tights, winter socks, buffs, overshoes etc, all go in an under bed storage box - you know the kind.

Then I go fairly large on the Ikea kallax storage with the pull out boxes - much easier to access than a chest of drawers that doesn't open fully or enough, and you can remove it to properly root through it should you want.

I tend to keep training shorts (for turbo) in one, training jerseys and socks in another, then I have one for primarilty commuting gear, and then another each for sunday best shorts and jerseys. Oh and I might have one for gilets and pack jackets etc.

I might also have a small drawer for arm and leg warmers and best socks, and another for gloves and mitts, and maybe one for caps and winter hats, oh and one more for base layers short and long sleeve.

It makes a huge difference to have it all organised nicely.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Cycling stuff lives in two drawers, one for summer(ish), the other for normal Britain.
    Wetsuit and so gorth rarely used, bag at bottom of the wardrobe.
    All hats, gloves, etc in a box downstairs.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • elbowloh
    From urban dictionary:

Gorth
    like girth. its a layer of extreme fat. noticable of boob to arm length ratio.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Shorts and 3/4s in the bottom of the wardrobe.
    Jerseys in a drawer.
    Sock, caps, warmers and gilets in a box.
    Jackets hung up somewhere.

I could probably do with losing some kit.
  • johngti
    tetley10 said:

Shorts and 3/4s in the bottom of the wardrobe.
    Jerseys in a drawer.
    Sock, caps, warmers and gilets in a box.
    Jackets hung up somewhere.

I could probably do with losing some kit.

Probably? Aren't you planning a new wing on the house just for your kit?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Mines all just chucked in large pine bed linen box. In another house I had it all in a wardrobe. Shorts, tights, jerseys and jackets on coat hangers, everything else in the drawers.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Separate wardrobe section for cycling kit - bibs, tights, tops on hangers and socks, warmers, layers etc in separate mussette bags.

I’ll air dry stuff and rewear for commuting and jackets etc can have a few wears. I’ve been more generous with this during Covid as I’ve ridden solo much more!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Mostly stuffed into a pile in the airing cupboard, which i then empty onto the floor to dig out the bits i need. Am always hunting around for a single glove/shoe cover/sock, which will inevitably be found on top of the fridge/under the sofa/in the shed.