Gearing change

Hi I have a Trek Madone with Shimano 105 10 speed drive train, compact front 50/34 and 12-30T rear cassette.
I am wanting to hit the hills more this year so planning to go to an 11-32T cassette. I know I need to go up to a mid cage (GS) rear derailleur but 105 RD5701 GS seem really hard to come by at present and I cannot get an 11-32T cassette in 105.
My question is what are the alternatives to get the best set up on the rear for my needs. I don't really want to go less than 105 but am happy to accept any suggestions.
Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My first question is do you really need a 32? Unless you're doing very steep/long mountain stages, maybe not and the more hills you do, you'll just get used to the 11-30.

Sorry if that doesn't help.

Other alternatives are ultegra or SRAM cassettes should also be compatible and some people get away with a regular short cage mech with an 11-32 cassette, even though technically they're not compatible. It depends on the bike.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Do as elbow suggests. Fit the 11-32 and fully adjust the b-screw on your SS derailleur.
    There are plenty of tutorials on utube.
    Check there is the required clearance and if your happy job done.

I have used the above method with a SS derailleur and works fine.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Sunrace cassettes are also an option I’ve got an all black 11-32t on my De Rosa
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    9speed road or mtb derailleurs work fine with 10 speed road shifters, which gives you more options.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Mad_Malx said:

9speed road or mtb derailleurs work fine with 10 speed road shifters, which gives you more options.

Are you sure because I have read on here that not all 10 speed shifters have the same pull ratio.
  • webboo said:

Mad_Malx said:

Are you sure because I have read on here that not all 10 speed shifters have the same pull ratio.
    IIRC it's Tiagra 4700 that uses an 11 speed pull ratio, as the OP has 105 10 speed then they should be fine to use the 9 speed rear mech.
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 49
    webboo said:

Mad_Malx said:

Your 10 speed 105 shifters will work fine with a Shimano 9 speed MOUNTAIN BIKE rear mech. That is personal experience, not what I read somewhere.

By the way, Pete, on this forum as soon as you mention lower gears there will be somebody that tells you to man up. Just ignore them.
  • Mad_Malx
    Yes, it’s the 4700 10sp tiagra that is the outlier.
    10sp 105 or uktegra (and old 10s Dura ace) shifters work with 9sp mtb derailleur, and also 9sp road derailleur.

I found there was less tolerance with the 10/9 mix so the cable adjustment had to be spot on, but once dialled in works well. Did 30 miles flawless shifting yesterday with 10sp 7900 shifters, 9sp mtb GS derailleur, 10s 11-32 cassette.

You will get problems if the derailleur hangar is bent or you miss out the spacer (depending on hub) on 10sp cassette (as I discovered last week).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    piker2 said:

By the way, Pete, on this forum as soon as you mention lower gears there will be somebody that tells you to man up. Just ignore them.

Just man-up ;)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The Shimano HG500 range of 10-speed cassettes are available in 11-32 and 11-34 if you want to go even lower.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/1125-shimano-cshg500-10-speed-cassette/

Also the 5701GS rear derailleur is available on Amazon if you're having problems finding one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-RD-5701-Double-Rear-Derailleur/dp/B00IT1S8LK
  • Mad_Malx
    That 5701gs is a good spot - I couldn’t find one couple of weeks back.
    Also - Hg500 cassettes are fine, the only difference you are likely to notice is the price.
    Not sure the op is coming back though.