Monday, я единственный, кто встал?

Morning, cold but dry, dog walked, coffee in the cup, busy start this morning, cycling later .
Have a good day

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Rest day today so no exercise other than walking hounds.

Going to try WFH with workmen in the house, thankfully got my car back so can bugger off to an office of its too much of a pain
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning
    Nothing planned for today, only WFH.
    Might see what that 2 wheeled thing in the porch does at lunchtime.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    'ning

cold and gloomy, neck hurts

ride, coffee, wfh, need to block my calendar out, too many webexes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Morning comrades

Cycled all the way to work on my shiny newly fixed bike without stopping once 😎
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    sungod said:

'ning

Is your neck sore from too much aero position in this cold weather?
  • seanoconn said:

Morning comrades

Cycled all the way to work on my shiny newly fixed bike without stopping once 😎

I had a lecturer at University who could easily have passed as Joe Stalin’s twin brother. Apart from his taste in clothing perhaps. He was a rather rotund Greek man; in summer he wore light blue seersucker “safari suits” with the jacket belt over-tightened. In winter it was usually a vaguely velvet/corduroy 3 piece suit... in olive green with an orange pinstripe.

Day of meh here. Couple of walks and a turbo ride.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    oxoman said:

he'd sooner snuggle up with the Mutt and listen to music. LD what's with the foreign gibberish, me no under-stan-dey non en-glaz-ey. :(

I would sooner snuggle up to the mutt and listen to music 😀

As to the Russian , I thought it would liven up a new month

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    @oxoman

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=google+translate&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bit dull here. Could do with some snow. I'm a bit fed up of everyone else getting snow.
    Mind you, it's tropical daan saaf innit?

I suppose I could spy on a few people, decide who I don't like and then poison them to liven things up but I have toots to school.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    The only one who got what up?

'Tain't tropical in da saff (though forecast saying 12C tomorrow 🤔) it's grey and boring. River levels way up again, both the local bridge crossings are closed, access roads under water. And as majority of my clients are on the other side... Hope levels drop quickly.

Admin and assorted general tedium today. Bored already.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    You wouldn't want our weather, 4C and dull as ****.

Never mind home schooling kids, I think some of my colleagues need it. Or a blow from a heavy blunt instrument.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    thistle_ said:

sungod said:

'ning

Is your neck sore from too much aero position in this cold weather?
    more mundane, rolled over in bed while using my head to lift my body, strained something

fine as long as i don't look left or up, or attempt to sleep laying down

time to try ibuprofen, should've thought of that last night

soggy roads this morning, not as cold as yesterday
  • Very cold but clear again up North, looks like a run is on the cards tonight.

That's about it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ciao

Bright but cold and wet, but nothing bad.

Just prepping stuff to go and pop da gats in a couple of days so just can’t be bothered with anyone getting dead disease. May purchase some new Hello Kittys.

Apart from that, not a lot happening tbh but that’s quite nice.

#chillin’
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    oxoman said:

Morning All. Chilling at home thrashing youngest into submission trying to get him to concentrate on home schooling. He's easily distracted and online lessons suck, he'd sooner snuggle up with the Mutt and listen to music. Currently dry and cold here so may attempt a ride out and see how wrist goes again. LD what's with the foreign gibberish, me no under-stan-dey non en-glaz-ey. :(

How about @ load of audios and/or podcasts?

Bambino is exactly the same shen it comes to home schooling but will podcast until they cows come home
  • Stevo_666
    Maybe the cyrillic stuff scared people off or Mondays in Feb are just sooo dull.

Got bored, bought another watch as it's my birthday soon. Went for an essential drive in the Panzer and off out for a run soon. The excitement is killing me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Afternoon Comrades.
    Teaching on zoom, consultations on teams, supervising children on Teams and behold, I finally got back out on the bike for a spin before dusk. It was wet and cold but good for me and got me out of the house.

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Did coffee, wfh, home schooling etc.

Took the tank out. Turned off all the leccy and put my foot down where the A3 opens up. Being of relatively small displacement and reliant on turbo and supercharger for the power, it's a bit of screamer, but quite willing. Just as fast as that Audi A6 avant 3.2l V6 I had. Much bigger though.

Main thing is, it happily pootles in leccy only. It's all 20 mph limits round here, or snarled up. So that's a bonus.

Did I say it's huge? It's less van-like driving than the kuga.

One thing though, I will miss that Ford heated front windscreen. Though if this is plugged in, you can pre-condition it, bring it up (or down) to temperature.

Kids love it, independent climate control for them, adjustable seats, loads of room, very good sound system. Dog hates it, banished to the boot.

Found a man to come and clean it regularly, or "detail" it as he insists on saying. Fed up of car being a sh1t pit. He's coming next week to treat the seats and give the exterior a much needed clean, it's mostly salt at the moment.

Back up to the office to deal with stuff. Opposite to Stevo's lot, we are divesting "non-performing assets". It's amazing what tax-related shyte can end up on a balance sheet, even one that has supposedly been audited.
  • hopkinb
    Gosh. Long post. Procrastination.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You only had it about a week and already it needs professional cleaning?

Got my car last July and don't think it's been cleaned in that time....it could do with a vacuuming.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

You only had it about a week and already it needs professional cleaning?

Got my car last July and don't think it's been cleaned in that time....it could do with a vacuuming.

It got driven 250 miles on salty wet motorway from Yorkshire to get here. Exterior and getting the seats protected. The job this guy did on the car I gave back was astonishing.

Can't get anyone to come and clean the house unless we all go out (difficult in the week), so may as well have a clean car, while I clean the house.
  • sungod
    hopkinb said:

Took the tank out. Turned off all the leccy and put my foot down where the A3 opens up. Being of relatively small displacement and reliant on turbo and supercharger for the power, it's a bit of screamer, but quite willing. Just as fast as that Audi A6 avant 3.2l V6 I had. Much bigger though.

Main thing is, it happily pootles in leccy only. It's all 20 mph limits round here, or snarled up. So that's a bonus.

One thing though, I will miss that Ford heated front windscreen. Though if this is plugged in, you can pre-condition it, bring it up (or down) to temperature.

Kids love it, independent climate control for them, adjustable seats, loads of room, very good sound system. Dog hates it, banished to the boot.

Found a man to come and clean it regularly, or "detail" it as he insists on saying. Fed up of car being a censored pit. He's coming next week to treat the seats and give the exterior a much needed clean, it's mostly salt at the moment.

Back up to the office to deal with stuff. Opposite to Stevo's lot, we are divesting "non-performing assets". It's amazing what tax-related shyte can end up on a balance sheet, even one that has supposedly been audited.

"detailing", that sounds like the car cleaner's version of "curating"

there's only one response to someone who says these things to your face
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

Found a man to come and clean it regularly, or "detail" it as he insists on saying. Fed up of car being a censored pit. He's coming next week to treat the seats and give the exterior a much needed clean, it's mostly salt at the moment.

"detailing", that sounds like the car cleaner's version of "curating"

there's only one response to someone who says these things to your face
    A kick to the nadgers?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Anaconda never ever gets cleaned on the outside or people would see all the scratches.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

I've decided to wait until mine goes in for a service to get it cleaned, MB are quite obliging that way and the local Albanian hand car wash is closed anyway.

Dogs don't go in my car, we have a sacrificial Polo to take all the muck and they don't like mine anyway as the boot is too bloody noisy and uncomfortable, especially in 'God of Thunder' mode which is of course compulsory.

On the work front you're right, we're still trying to buy stuff. Bargain Hunters 'r' Us.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    edited February 2021
    @sungod

'Detailing' begun after the introductions of water based Automotive paint - (EEC reg, 1985, came into force in 1992) The industry was put under pressure and highlighted by a Greenpeace Dinghy when it got hit by a 50 gallon barrel being dumped in the North Atlantic, 1983 iirc. Nearly the first Greanpeace martyr.
    Dumping thousands of barrels of toxic waste was common place and 70% of the effluent from car production was in the steel preparation and paint process.

Basically, water based paints are dull. You need to cover them with a lacquer to make the paintwork glossy. The first generation lacquers contained a catalyst and were termed '2k' or 2 pack. The lacquer is thick but relatively soft. The modern generation lacquers are 1k, or '1 pack' and don't contain the catalyst but are thinner and harder. The catalyst was added to assist surface bonding with the water based paint.

'Detailing' was borne of the fact that the lacquer coat gets scratched quite easily and the swirls add up over time. Plus, the surface gets contaminated in a way that the cellulose paints of old, didn't. Or at least, Cellulose could be revived with the likes of T cut and the Cellulose paints on say, an Aston, were 7 coats. So you could 'murder' the paint and get away with it. Top coats now (pre-lacquer) are mostly 1 layer only!

You can remove the swirls and scratches by 1. abrasives, 2. liquid abrasives and 3. chemical 'cutting' 'abrasives'.
    This restores the paint to factory condition. Well, it can do - in the right hands.

Now the term 'detailing' has morphed to the rest of the car.

For a brand new Volvo, there isn't a lot of detailing to do. Just simply, a clean done by someone on the autistic spectrum* armed with cotton buds, soft brushes and a huge array of waxes and polishes.

*OCD is a pre-requisite.

There's a nerd guy in London who charges in excess of £25k to detail your Ferrari.

I 'detail' paintwork but nothing else. I do roughly 6 a year.

What's he charging Hoppy? and... can he do a ceramic coating?

This would save you a fortune and can only be done when the paintwork is pristine (like now). It means it will be very easy to clean and won't need re-coating (waxing or ceramic coat) for well over a 2 years, possibly 3 - depending on salt, weather, air pollution.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!