A Day of Firsts

Not new to cycling but new to building my own bike from a new frameset.

So today cut my first steerer tube, inserted my first star nut and fitted my first headset and then consequently the forks.

Following on from fitting my first ever BB the other day feeling quite chuffed.

I realise these are probably meat and drink jobs to many a more experienced fettler but your first time of asking there is a fair bit of trepidation.

It is only going to be a winter bike, nothing exoctic as I am "bastardising" my old steel job for most of the drivetrain etc and doing as cheap as possible.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Good work, don't sell yourself short you've probably done more than most cyclists at this point. Providing it all stays together!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    yup - top stuff dude - v well done.

now crack on, get the rest of it finished and post some piccies.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    MattFalle said:

yup - top stuff dude - v well done.

now crack on, get the rest of it finished and post some piccies.

A few days with not much action now unfortunately as waiting for new seat post to be delivered (wider seat tube than my old bike) so will need to keep the steel job mobile for something to ride in the time being.

As soon as seat post here the mechs / shifters etc will be swapped over.

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    +1 for pics
  • womack
    There are two problems with pics, I don't have any of these picture hosting accounts and I don't think you can just upload a pic straight on to here.

The other problem (after reading a good few posts on here) to make a relaxed winter ride I have put spacers under the stem and Matt won't be happy as it won't be "slammed"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited January 2021
    I post photos straight from my phone no probs, it's possible it's using Google photos though, not sure.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I just drag and drop photos. No problem.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    take picture with phone

click on icon

select picture

post picture

WE NEED TO SEE THE BIKE. WE'RE IN LOCKDOWN. THERE IS BUGGGGER ALL ELSE TO DO.

SHOW US THE PICS.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    womack said:

The other problem (after reading a good few posts on here) to make a relaxed winter ride I have put spacers under the stem and Matt won't be happy as it won't be "slammed"

That's only some of the MFs, the others will appreciate it. Whilst they will also scream about deep rims they are not obligatory.
    Oh, and there's nothing wrong with old steel ;)

• womack

womack said:

That's only some of the MFs, the others will appreciate it. Whilst they will also scream about deep rims they are not obligatory.

There will definitely be no deep rims, just what comes off the steel job. This will be very much a budget job.
    To be fair the steel bike is a nice ride but apart from being heavy it is way too big for me (buy in haste etc)
  • MattFalle

womack said:

Don't say that V, you'll set them all off bickering against each other and I was looking forward to a quiet Sunday.

But yes, slammed with Chinarello deep rims it must be.

#slammed
    #rimming
  • womack
    When finished this new frameset build will not in any way be exoctica, no slamming, no deep wheels just a winter bike. This is the donor bike after its last ride this morning and will now be retired for me to start nicking all the mechs etc from it.

New seat post still not arrived to get frameset in work stand properly!!

Even with the world's shortest stem this was too big for me (60 seat tube) so had to change from drop bar. Luckily I kept the drop bars and sti's.
  • MattFalle
    womack said:

no slamming, no deep wheels

Oh. Sounds disappointing then.

• Beware, building up your own bike is addictive. It's also very satisfying when it works and rides just as it should.
  • MattFalle
    Its also ridiculously simple. Nothing is too difficult. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

#itsabicyclenotaspaceship
  • womack
    Well, bike is fine, nothing exotic, just a winter bike that now fits me!!

This is prior to first ride, seat and bars adjusted for fit since.

Apologies for stem spacers but bike was built for comfort.