Vitamin D for health during lockdown from Matt Hancock?

Hi All,

Bit of a gripe but I'm in the top 4 of vulnerable people who are likely to have a severe infection to Covid as I'm on immunosuppressants due to Crohns.

Back around the 20th November Matt Hancock went on TV to announce that Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people like me could register to get free vitamin D supplements to be sent out mid January to boost their health due to self isolating and not going outside much. I feel like Dracula lol.

I wonder if anyone knows if the supplements were sent out or know of someone who actually received the vitamin D?
Regards.
T.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just get some from Tesco or similar I got enough for about 2 years for 3 quid.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Yup. I just got mine a few days ago. It was so long after I registered I had completely forgotten. I’m already on calcium and vit D due to steroid treatments as well as immunosuppressant drugs so I’ll be sorted for the rest of the year. They came in a suspicious looking Jiffy bag/envelope pouch thing. All loose and rattling around.

If you registered I’m sure you’ll get yours soon.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    webboo said:

No. These are much stronger.

• webboo
    Well take 4 times the dose you will still have 6 months worth for 3 quid.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    usual rda is 10-20μg, think you have to exceed that a fair bit to risk adverse affects

afaik no point in more unless there's specific medical advice to do so
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • photonic69
    The CEV ones sent to me are 200% of Ref Intake or 10 micro grams. My other ones with calcium are 200 IU or 5 micro grams and I take two.
    Makes no difference to me as I get it all for free.

• tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Its nice to know that they are for real as I was beginning to think they were another Promise Big and Under Deliver from the Tories!!!

• tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    pangolin said:
    Yes I've registered but because they didnt/havent turned up, supposed to be Mid January, I bought some anyway.

• webboo said:

Decent vitamin D3 supplements tend to be quite expensive... I question what you got for 3 quid...
    left the forum March 2023
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706

Decent vitamin D3 supplements tend to be quite expensive... I question what you got for 3 quid...

Prices vary but decent doesn't have to be expensive.

D3 in oil is apparently absorbed better than tablet so I'd suggest capsules such as Lindens or Nature's Best. Most are gelatin shell but vegetarian ones are available. Sub-lingual spray has been shown to be more effective again but rather more expensive.

1000 IU or 25 μg is considered a safe amount, from what I've read 10μg is not going to do much for anyone who is deficient (which is most people in the UK, it seems). The Department of Health advises "Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful."
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    How much time do you have to spend outside (on a sunny day in January) to get enough sunlight to produce your own?

I only go out for about half an hour every other day during daylight hours at the moment with the whole WFH thing....
  • webboo
    edited January 2021
    I’m fairly sure I read that in the UK you will struggle to get enough vitamin D from sun light in winter regardless of the time spent out doors.
  • thistle_ said:

How much time do you have to spend outside (on a sunny day in January) to get enough sunlight to produce your own?

I only go out for about half an hour every other day during daylight hours at the moment with the whole WFH thing....

I believe production of VitD by our bodies is minimal when the UV Index is under 3, which in the UK typically applies September to March.

The rate of production is reduced by skin pigmentation, darker skin colour groups normally produce less VitD than lighter skin groups, on a like for like comparison.

VitD production requires directly exposed flesh to the sun, things like windows; clothing; sun cream etc. massively reduce production.

You could could go for a 30min walk in January in just your Speedos and flip-flops anywhere in the UK, but you aren't going boost your VitD levels. This is why PHE has been saying everyone should take VitD supplements Sept-Mar, while the elderly and darker skinned population should consider taking VitD supplements here all year round.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • simon_e
    thistle_ said:

Even if wearing minimal clothing e.g. sleeveless top and shorts then it would take a couple of hours vs 20-30 mins in the summer. And you'd have to do it daily. In sunshine, not merely daylight. At this latitude in January that isn't going to happen.

You can get some Vitamin D from foods like dairy, fish and eggs but you'd have to eat lots to get a meaningful amount. 85g of oily fish: 645 IU and a 50g egg: 44 IU.

Vitamin D2 (inferior to D3) is added to processed foods e.g. plant milks and breakfast cereals but it is a waste of time and money, it's just marketing BS.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited January 2021
    I have been taking 2000 IU, pharmaceutical grade vit. D3 for approx. a month and the test result came as 72.7 nmol/L D3 and 2.8 nmol/L D2. If the total was below 50, it would indicate insufficiency, however, proper deficiency is between 15 - 30.
    200 and above is considered too high and can lead to vit. D toxicity.
    Price may or may not have anything to do with the quality. I would steer clear from anything sold in chain health food stores or supermarkets, and rather visit a local pharmacy shop and ask for a pharmaceutical grade supplement.
  • simon_e
    edited January 2021
    katani said:

I would steer clear from anything sold in chain health food stores or supermarkets, and rather visit a local pharmacy shop and ask for a pharmaceutical grade supplement.

Do you know if there is information available online showing that a pharmaceutical grade D3 supplement is better absorbed than a food grade product?
  • photonic69
    Had this email earlier today. So if you've not got the Vit D supplements yet then buy your own and take these until yours show up.

"......

We are writing to you because you or the named person you care for, has previously submitted an application for Vitamin D supplements using the Vitamin D supplement service for clinically extremely vulnerable people.
    This email is to confirm eligibility to receive a free 4-month supply of Vitamin D supplements as someone who is considered to be at the highest risk of becoming very unwell if you catch COVID-19.
    If you have not already received them, you should expect to receive your supplements via Royal Mail within 3 weeks of receiving this email. Should you have any problems or concerns about the delivery please contact DHSC using this email address: vitamind.enquiries@dhsc.gov.uk
    The supplements will support general health, in particular bone and muscle health. This is particularly important at this time of year, as it is likely that you have been indoors for extended periods due to measures introduced to stop the spread of COVID-19.
    Information on how your data will be used and stored can be found using the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vitamin-d-opt-in-service-for-vulnerable-groups-privacy-notice/get-vitamin-d-supplements-privacy-notice.
    Anyone who is able to purchase a vitamin D supplement and start taking them now is advised to do so, even if you are also eligible for a delivery in the next few weeks.
    Further guidance on how to safely take vitamin D supplements can be found using the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vitamin-d-supplements-how-to-take-them-safely/vitamin-d-supplements-how-to-take-them-safely
    This email has been sent to you on behalf of the Healthy Weight and Nutrition team, at the Department of Health and Social Care
    This email has been sent to you as a clinically extremely vulnerable patient on the Shielded Patient List in England using the email address you have previously registered when you applied for Vitamin D at: https://www.nhs.uk/get-vitamin-d-supplements which may or may not be the same email address as that you have registered with your GP."