2021 races and COVID

Comments

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

I wouldn't have thought that teams and personnel would be much of an issue this year, as they likely all get the jab pretty soon, it they haven't already had it.
    Then it becomes the same old question of crowd control.

By the time the Giro comes around I would think conditions for racing should be OK.
    However, the classics may well end up in the same autumn slot as last year.

Run the Ardennes between the Tour and Vuelta, and stick the Cobbled races in the first 2 weeks of October (after Worlds).

Paris Roubaix can end the season on 17/10.

The Olympics isn't going to happen. Too many people coming in from too many nations, from different sporting calendars / timetables (some of which may not even take place beforehand), and mixing in one place on different schedules for 2 weeks.

Cycling in comparison looks relatively controllable.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Just look at the mayhem at the Aussie Open. Multiply that by a factor of 1000 for the Olympics.

And Euro 2021.

Let’s just have PR this year please.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    gweeds said:

Just look at the mayhem at the Aussie Open. Multiply that by a factor of 1000 for the Olympics.

And Euro 2021.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking.
  • gweeds said:

And Euro 2021.

I am worried we have seen the last Olympics as the financial gamble now involved is huge.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/olympics/tokyo-olympics-unlikely-to-take-place-says-london-2012-boss-488320

It was stated last year that 2021 was their one and only shot at rescheduling.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    gweeds said:

And Euro 2021.

Euro 2021 will be fine. The Champions League has been going on, it's not really any different.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    MvdP is hopefully focusing on the classics instead of the Olympics, that might never happen. Wasting years of his prime (if a season where he mainly won Flanders can be considered a wasted season).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gweeds
    Volta ao Algarve postponed until May.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

Volta ao Algarve postponed until May.

Seems like half the calendar now wants to postpone until May.
    There simply aren't going to be slots available for all, not to mention impacting the Giro.

June on the other hand, could pack in loads more races, but nobody seems to want their races placed in the proximity of the Tour.
  • gweeds
    As usual money will talk and the big organisers will push the smaller races out.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I'm confused cuz I thought the Tour Down Under was cancelled for this year, but then saw some posts indicating that there seems to be some kinda race underway... I guess just for the locals.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    dish_dash said:

I'm confused cuz I thought the Tour Down Under was cancelled for this year, but then saw some posts indicating that there seems to be some kinda race underway... I guess just for the locals.

https://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2021-event/race/men-s-and-women-s-race
  • Circuit Cycliste Sarthe 2021 cancelled
    Le Tour de James Bond postponed for a 3rd time, until October.
  • The European season should get underway with the Gran Premio Valencia, which is live on Youtube on Sunday afternoon.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

The European season should get underway with the Gran Premio Valencia, which is live on Youtube on Sunday afternoon.

What's this? I hope it hasn't replaced the stage race, which I always enjoyed
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2021
    gsk82 said:

The European season should get underway with the Gran Premio Valencia, which is live on Youtube on Sunday afternoon.

What's this? I hope it hasn't replaced the stage race, which I always enjoyed

The stage race starts on 3 February (assuming it's still on)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited January 2021
    It’s a separate race and only a 1.2 but it’s the first of what could be few.
    As a result it looks like a better field than would normally turn up.
    (EBH making his debut for Total Direct.)
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2021

That one somehow passed me by. I'm also two or three teams behind on what team Matteo Trentin is at now.
  • RichN95. said:

That one somehow passed me by. I'm also two or three teams behind on what team Matteo Trentin is at now.
    His UAE debut is due at the GP Marseilles.
    Talking of the Valencia stage race, the startlist is starting to look rather tasty for such an early event.
  • Chris Lawless also debuts for TDE tomorrow and Connor Swift is turning out for Arkea.
    More British participation in the form of the Canyon dhb SunGod team.
  • RichN95.
    I realise that correlation does not equal causation but this can't be ignored

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    RichN95. said:

I realise that correlation does not equal causation but this can't be ignored

He also finally had a successful tour de France personally the year he was off the pace in Oz.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • If they go ahead, the first French races in February are all benefiting from other cancellations with a raft of big names turning out for the GP Marseillaise,(31st) Etoile de Bessèges (3-7th) and Tour de la Provence. (11-14th)
  • gweeds
    Next week’s Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana canned.
  • gweeds said:

Next week’s Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana canned.

Valenciana joins the rather long list now looking for a slot in May.
    At this rate May is going to be more congested than last year's failed "Super Sunday"
  • gweeds
    Cray-May
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

If they go ahead, the first French races in February are all benefiting from other cancellations with a raft of big names turning out for the GP Marseillaise,(31st) Etoile de Bessèges (3-7th) and Tour de la Provence. (11-14th)

At GP Marseillaise Lotto have Wellens,Degenkolb and Gilbert. Also Trentin And EBH.
  • gweeds
    Anyone know if Etoile is going to be on TV? Can’t see it on GCN or Eurosport. GCN are still listing the now-postponed Valenciana.
  • gweeds said:

Anyone know if Etoile is going to be on TV? Can’t see it on GCN or Eurosport. GCN are still listing the now-postponed Valenciana.

Yes it has live coverage but not on UK tv as such.
    L’Equipe hold the rights and there are sources for their stream.