A better way to wash your bike?

I've always used bucket and sponge, which is time consuming and a bit overkill, when you just want to remove a bit of salt and crud in winter. Equally, I don't want the hassle of having to buy a pressure washer, which is not good for the bearings anyway. Hosepipe uses a lot of water, which is not good either...
So, I think I have found another way: I have one of those pressure bottles that you buy in garden centres to spray things on plants, I think I paid a tenner for it. It's 2 lt and goes under pressure by pumping it. It does a great job cleaning the bike with 1-2 full "tanks" of water, so 2-4 lt in total, which is very acceptable. Pressure is enough to remove mud from the rims, but not enough to damage bearings.

Really pleased
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021
    You could use a garden hose in the absence of one of these sprayer things - with a nozzle with adjustable spray they are strong enough to do absolutely everything.

Loads of variations of those sprayer things US is using around. If you don't have a garden/yard, attach hose to inside tap, hang out of window. job jobbed.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    There are quite a few battery powered pressure washers around now. The mtbers at Innerleithen all seem to have one in the back of the van.

They only damage bearings if you point the jet at the bearings.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited January 2021
    yeahbbut, my solution is by far the cheapest and the one the most environmentally sound... and you don't need to have an outdoor tap
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I've been using washed out spray cleaner bottles for ages.
    Soapy mix spayed on before shower, leave, clean water spray after shower.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle

yeahbbut, my solution is by far the cheapest and the one the most environmentally sound... and you don't need to have an outdoor tap

but you don't need qn outside tap with my solution and it probably uses less water as its quicker.
  • First.Aspect

I suppose. Are you talking about one of those big weed killer sprayers that you pressurise yourself and then carry around the garden with a shoulder strap?
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2021
    I get by using similar to below. Washed out of course.
    Reusing is more environmentally friendly than recycling. Less water than Ugo too! 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    Jesus you guys. If you really want to save water, just wash the drive train and lick the frame clean.

I just collect rain water and run a pressure washer off that. Just a thought...
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Sorry, what are we talking about here?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Sorry, what are we talking about here?
    You know exactly what, but kudos for the humour. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited January 2021
    In the winter a bike with good mud guards then you don't need to wash it all the time. If you aren't in a race and it's just exercise, you just go a bit slower. Keep the decent bike fresh from salt for the Spring/Summer/Autumn.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Jesus you guys. If you really want to save water, just wash the drive train and lick the frame clean.

Legionella alert...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

In the winter a bike with good mud guards then you don't need to wash it all the time. If you aren't in a race and it's just exercise, you just go a bit slower. Keep the decent bike fresh from salt for the Spring/Summer/Autumn.

im moving back to the beginning and simplifing things and just slapping training wheels on cleaning every time and replacing a chain and cassette in spring. mostly because i cant be bothered to maintain and store multiple bikes. having said that a hardtail for a bit of a change and when the roads are icy/snowy/flooded and forest seems a better bet. obv a gravel style bike as well for the same reasons as above and for touring / bike packing / going to the pub / being one of the cool kids / epic adventures etc. also a brompton and a single speed and my old TT bike oh and the turbo wreck.

BUT ive cut my road bikes down to one.

• First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

Legionella alert...
    Yes, based on mass gardening deaths associated with watering cans that no one had reported, Porton Down conducted a study. What it didn't do is actually correlate the assay tests to any actual risk.

Besides, we live in Scotland where increasing a body of water above 20C for any length of time requires use of a kettle.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited January 2021

Definitely much better
  • elbowloh

Definitely much better

Don't cross the streams!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    Showing your age there elbowh.
  • elbowloh
    What the all female Ghostbusters film from a couple of years back?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle

how hideously clubbie and boring.

no. no no no no. no.

i do not work my butt off to ride a rubbish bike so i save 5 minutes of my life hosing something down.

if i wanted mudguards i'd buy a Ford Mondeo.

next thing you'll be saying wear a hideous awful kit and hang out with people with matching spandex.

no.
  • First.Aspect
    Oh grow up Matthew.