No FD for a few days... any issue?

Front derailleur broke. I have one on order, but is it an issue if I ride for a few days without it placing the chain on the big ring?

I don't see an issue, but some believe the FD also acts as a guide and the chain could unship if it's missing... which seems conflicting with the current 1 x 11 trend...

left the forum March 2023

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Chain will jump off if not using a 1x chainring as they are wider teeth to hold the chain on.

no other mech you can just pop on to keep the chain in line?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    A pal of mine has for the last few years has taken the FM off his 2X and run them 1X on the small CR and has had no problems as far as I know. If the worst should happen , just pop it back on.
  • MattFalle said:

Chain will jump off if not using a 1x chainring as they are wider teeth to hold the chain on.

Will it though?
    When I converted my old bike to SS the chain never jumped off the chainring and it was a normal chainring with a tensioner, so a similar system. I aim to use only the small sprockets to keep a decent chain line all the time, 13-17 T
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    How did it break? If it will stay on the bike, you could potentially use the limit screws to lock it in place to act as a guide. The chain would stay on an SS as there's never any lateral force on the chain. It's quite likely to come off without anything to retain it.
  • How did it break? If it will stay on the bike, you could potentially use the limit screws to lock it in place to act as a guide. The chain would stay on an SS as there's never any lateral force on the chain. It's quite likely to come off without anything to retain it.

The cable retainer bolt sheared off. I removed it by dremeling the cage, as they no longer have a bolt to open it.
    I did think about the limit screws, but I don't think I can push it sideways all the way to have it over the big ring.

I am not sure how much the cage actually does, in real terms it never touches the chain, unless you hit a big hole or something. I can see it might unship if you hit a speed bump hard, but in normal pedalling it shouldn't...
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Didn't David Millar drop his chain and hence lose the chance to wear the Yellow jersey due to removing his front mech?

If you're disciplined enough to keep it in the smaller sprockets then i don't see an issue but i know that I'd habitually pop it into a bigger sprocket by mistake and potentially drop it.

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    The FD does help the chain stay on.

However, I reckon you'll be fine. I've run 1X setups for many years without
    a narrow/wide and without issue. You will be more prone to losing your chain from a bump or rough road but unless you're riding the scenic route between Paris and Roubaix, I reckon you'll be fine.

Hasn't it been standard practice within your hill climbing community to ditch your FD and a chainring since long before narrow-wides were a thing?
  • OK, I think I've sorted it: the tiny brake pad bolt is there to jam the derailleur arm open, so it sits on top of the big ring

And here is fitted. The cage is open, but the top part of the derailleur should do its job to retain the chain.

If it works well, I will keep it on until spring, when I will need the small ring... I don't really want to split the chain now, if I don't have to

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Will it though?
    When I converted my old bike to SS the chain never jumped off the chainring and it was a normal chainring with a tensioner, so a similar system. I aim to use only the small sprockets to keep a decent chain line all the time, 13-17 T
    I've only had to do it a couple of times and yup, it bounced off the minute you went over anything bumpy.

you may get away with it, you may not but you seem to have solved the issue below.

viva ingenuity.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Will it though?
    I've only had to do it a couple of times and yup, it bounced off the minute you went over anything bumpy.

you may get away with it, you may not but you seem to have solved the issue below.

viva ingenuity.
    Yeah, I might have to glue that bolt in place... it's unlikely to fall off, given how strong the spring is... but if it does, the chain would be whacked
  • MattFalle
    just give it a bash see what happens. pop a blob of glue in tonight, it'll all be ready for tomorrow. you don't want to be hacking along in the traffic tomorrow for it all to go wrong for the sake of 30 seconds getting sticky fingers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Will it though?

viva ingenuity.
    Yeah, I might have to glue that bolt in place... it's unlikely to fall off, given how strong the spring is... but if it does, the chain would be whacked
    Glue it just to remove that nagging doubt that might inhabit the back of your mind if you don't.
  • all good... rubs a bit on the 14T and probably I can't use the 13T, but to fix that, I'd have to unglue the screw, open the limit screw a bit and put the screw back on and re glue it, which seems more hassle than living with a bit of rubbing for a while.
  • MattFalle
    Groovy sauce - good to hear.
  • turns out I can even use the 13T sprocket... it rubs about the same as when I am on the 14T :)