Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213

Pross said:

pinno said:

'Banana armour' ! Whatever next.

A definite example of a product name came first and then they chose to design something to fit the name.
    Name’s already taken...

Yep, that was what I was thinking. Someone heard Bananarama and thought of the name then had to try to think of something to design. Would have been better used as a brand of condom though.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    Pross said:

pinno said:

'Banana armour' ! Whatever next.

A definite example of a product name came first and then they chose to design something to fit the name.

The opposite: there's a pottery at Upottery, but they refuse to call it Upottery Pottery. What a waste.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    We have a Bananaguard that dates back years and years, possibly to the 90s.

The main problem is that a lot of bananas don't fit in it, because they're... errr... a bit, you know...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

We have a Bananaguard that dates back years and years, possibly to the 90s.

The main problem is that a lot of bananas don't fit in it, because they're... errr... a bit, you know...

Big?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    At least we are allowed bendy ones now
  • Pross
    Seeing the dickhead Texan Trump supporting militia leader on BBC news showing of his guns and ending up setting fire to the land around him.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Pross said:

Seeing the dickhead Texan Trump supporting militia leader on BBC news showing of his guns and ending up setting fire to the land around him.

Just watched that. Wonder how many takes Aleem Maqbool needed to narrate that without sniggering.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Local newspaper headlines: today's first prize (so far):
    'My wife refused to sleep in the same bed as me because my toes kept falling off'

Which makes this a good time to quote my all time favourite, courtesy of the Galloway News: "Man almost knocked off barstool in fight"
  • I replaced a motherboard on a laptop that I bought dirt cheap, and it now works. This cheered me up.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited January 2021

I replaced a motherboard on a laptop that I bought dirt cheap, and it now works. This cheered me up.

Good going and saved it from the indignity of land fill. It's worth getting into the habit of respecting technology, otherwise we will be in trouble when it takes over.
  • elbowloh

'My wife refused to sleep in the same bed as me because my toes kept falling off'

Which makes this a good time to quote my all time favourite, courtesy of the Galloway News: "Man almost knocked off barstool in fight"

My favourite big news story from the local paper (even made it onto the posters they put up on those triangular stands outside the newsagent)

"Concern for donkey kicked by horse"
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    edited January 2021
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Just watched that. Wonder how many takes Aleem Maqbool needed to narrate that without sniggering.
    It was the way they tried to be all nonchalant about it at first and then gradually started panicking more and tried to stop it by pulling the bale apart. I wondered if they insisted that filming was cut as they realised how stupid they would look. It would have been amusing if it burned his trailer (as long as the dog escaped).
  • Pross

Leprosy still a thing north of the border?
  • briantrumpet
    Being given a lovely little cloth-bound book of A. A. Milne's non-Pooh musings, and discovering that it has one of those little ribbon bookmarks.
  • https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/theguardian/2005/jul/01/2

Watching Dig! a documentary about the Brian Jonestown Massacre.

The world maybe mental at the moment but it's never Anton Newcombe mental 🤣
  • briantrumpet
    That people are determined enough to protest in -50C, but that it's not me that is doing it.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Fair play to them.
    I need to sit in front of the fire for 1 hour for every 5 mins spent outside at the moment.
    I must be a marine Iguana.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Fair play to them.
    I need to sit in front of the fire for 1 hour for every 5 mins spent outside at the moment.

Mind you, you do live virtually in the Arctic Circle up there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,589

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

True dat.
    Freaks people out when they discover Glasgow is further north than Moscow.
    And Denver is further south than Madrid.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    edited January 2021

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

Bollox.

I am south of Newcastle but still in Scotland and I am in the South of the UK.
    I am sure I have written this before.
    A Ugandan visited the UK. He hired a car and drove from South to North. At every juncture there was a sign saying 'North...' all the way to Ullapool. He thought 'where the hell is this 'North'? '. So he sat down with the map of Britain and worked out exactly where this 'North' started and it is at Cairnryan, which is 4 miles North of me.
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

Bollox.

A Ugandan visited the UK. He hired a car and drove from South to North. At every juncture there was a sign saying 'North...' all the way to Ullapool. He thought 'where the hell is this 'North'? '. So he sat down with the map of Britain and worked out exactly where this 'North' started and it is at Cairnryan, which is 4 miles North of me.
    Why are you so afraid of being classed as North?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

Bollox.

Almost,

I too was curious once, so I worked out the middle (UK) was just south of Penrith (IMHO)

Phrases like ‘the east coast mainline’ drive me mad, it goes nowhere near the east coast

• briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

Bollox.

It's all relative, innit? One of my favourite little passages is this one:

Just in case your French is a little rusty, it's by someone who lived in Nyons, and whose father took him to Valence (south of Lyon) for the first time, and who thought he was heading near the North Pole, "the land without sun, where people go outside when it's raining, and where you get wet feet without dying."

Sounds like Bristol to me.
  • elbowloh
    But the southern most point is lizards point. Should be measuring from there?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

Phrases like ‘the east coast mainline’ drive me mad, it goes nowhere near the east coast

The railway uses crazy terminology. Every pair of lines has an "up" line and a "down" line. Anything heading to London is "up", anything heading away is "down". So, if you're heading South from say Manchester, or east from Bristol you're on the up line. If you're heading north to Edinburgh, you're on the down line.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    elbowloh said:

The railway uses crazy terminology. Every pair of lines has an "up" line and a "down" line. Anything heading to London is "up", anything heading away is "down". So, if you're heading South from say Manchester, or east from Bristol you're on the up line. If you're heading north to Edinburgh, you're on the down line.
    Makes a lot of sense when most of the big railway companies were based around a London terminus.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Makes a lot of sense when most of the big railway companies were based around a London terminus.
    Yeah but, I go down to London, Birmingham etc not up.
  • pinno
    edited January 2021

pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

Bollox.

Almost,

I too was curious once, so I worked out the middle (UK) was just south of Penrith (IMHO)

No Orkney's?