US Politics / Biden thread

Since Trump is out. Might as well kick this off.

I'll start. It is quite remarkable how old he is. Can't think of any other profession where you have a 78 year old just starting out their job as the big cheese.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Prince Charles will be looking to do so. 😉
    Unless he is hoping mummy dies in the next 6 years.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

I'll start. It is quite remarkable how old he is. Can't think of any other profession where you have a 78 year old just starting out their job as the big cheese.

Head of the Catholic church?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Yeah.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6-UC8yr0Aw

He has a lot of experience with it and seems to be the type of bloke to listen to advice rather than be driven by an overinflated ego.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Lots of people will be working later in life due to the costs of paying for the pandemic and the loss of tax revenue post Brexit.

Regarding Biden, he’s been immersed in American politics for most of his life, he seems to have a value led personality and has overcome personal tragedy ( no parent expects to bury their son or daughter).

Where the US is now and where it needs to be at the end of his term is a massive gap but he seems a perfect fit for pushing challenging bills though their legislative process.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • First.Aspect

The more I think about it, the more interesting that analogy becomes.
  • Since Trump is out. Might as well kick this off.

I thought that - but I checked, and he's starting older than any pope since 1730.
  • rick_chasey

The more I think about it, the more interesting that analogy becomes.
    Spending a lot of time on Qanon forums? ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

It's more a promotion to CEO in an industry you've worked in for years though.

The contrast between him and his predecessor couldn't be more stark already. I hope he's a success and wanabee politicians realise you don't have to go down the 'strongman' route to be a successful leader.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair play if you know anyone over 70 working in a full time job.
  • First.Aspect

I thought that - but I checked, and he's starting older than any pope since 1730.
    Now that IS a surprise. I guess Ratty Ratzenberger only looked 95.

Also a surprise that in 1730 they could find anyone that old.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited January 2021

Ratzinger was only about a month younger than Biden is.

Clement XII in 1730 was about a month older than Biden, and was pope for 9 years.
  • pblakeney

Average age back in the day is as a result of battles and untreatable disease. Plenty lived to a ripe old age if they avoided those.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Fair play if you know anyone over 70 working in a full time job.

Bernie Ecclestone and Rupert Murdoch are both 90 (ish) so even if now semi retired would have been running things into their 80s
  • pblakeney

My Dad finally retired when he hit 80.
    He said he'd get bored, and he was correct, he is bored.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

My dad retired when he was 72.

I hate to break the news, but working past 70 will be the norm when most of us get there.
  • focuszing723
    Hugh Hefner was 91 when external circumstances forced his retirement.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Hugh Hefner was 91 when external circumstances forced his retirement.

couldnt get up for work eh?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

pblakeney said:

I hate to break the news, but working past 70 will be the norm when most of us get there.
    I know a few people who have retired, realised they just end up working unpaid for their OH and have gone back to work for a bit of peace with the added bonus that you get paid for it. Each to their own I suppose.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I know a few people who have retired, realised they just end up working unpaid for their OH and have gone back to work for a bit of peace with the added bonus that you get paid for it. Each to their own I suppose.
    I know somebody who went back to work when the twins were born but had to retire as could not cope with the post GFC compliance regs so retired again
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I know somebody who went back to work when the twins were born but had to retire as could not cope with the post GFC compliance regs so retired again
    :D strong.

I'm hoping the massive focus on diversity in recruitment will do the same to my boss.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Lesser of two evils I guess. A good mate is retiring from one of the big banks just turned 55. I'll be watching with interest how he gets on given his wife is quite demanding and likes spending lots.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    Acting is probably one of the few professions where people can work as long as they want to, if they are good or famous enough.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I'm hoping the massive focus on diversity in recruitment will do the same to my boss.
    Out of interest, what do you do when someone comes to you and says they need to hire a woman? I have come across that a bit lately.

• focuszing723
    Singing too, the Stones.
  • Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

He really could not see he was part of the problem - fvcker had cleared his desk and was waiting for a bonus to hit his acct before quitting. Got summoned to an unexpected meeting where he was made redundant.
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Out of interest, what do you do when someone comes to you and says they need to hire a woman? I have come across that a bit lately.

You give them a shortlist which is maybe 50% longer than usual, with roughly the amount you would normally have for a shortlist as women (if they exist) and the rest will be the top top men.

So they have a decent choice of women but can compare them to the best men.

A female only shortlist is, on paper at least, illegal, but then people produce male only shortlists all the time and aren't called out on it, but I won't do it, unless all the top candidates happen to be women (which has never happened in FS as there aren't enough of them).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

You give them a shortlist which is maybe 50% longer than usual, with roughly the amount you would normally have for a shortlist as women (if they exist) and the rest will be the top top men.

So they have a decent choice of women but can compare them to the best men.

A female only shortlist is, on paper at least, illegal, but then people produce male only shortlists all the time and aren't called out on it, but I won't do it, unless all the top candidates happen to be women (which has never happened in FS as there aren't enough of them).
    Thanks for the explanation.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Lesser of two evils I guess. A good mate is retiring from one of the big banks just turned 55. I'll be watching with interest how he gets on given his wife is quite demanding and likes spending lots.
    He should set her up in a small business - it could be cheaper
  • Wise. For the things that are bipartisan, you'll only see Biden when he signs it.