Toe overlap

Hi everyone I’ve recently purchased a new bike I’ve put a post on it last week and everyone’s been really helpful on it anyway on first ride I noticed toe overlap when I’m near the bottom of pedal stroke it’s not a massive amount but it does catch end of my shoe and it gets worse if my foots pointing in the downward direction I’ve had a few road bikes and this has never happened before but on my new allez elite it is a few guys on here said nothing to worry about but I can’t help think if it did touch the wheel at speed it might throw me of

Comments

• piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    On my winter bike that has mudguards I have a lot of toe overlap. The only time it is of any consequence is when I do tight turns at very low speed .As soon as you are moving above walking speed you never move the "steering "enough for it to matter.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have never had a problem with toe overlap when riding, as mentioned above it only really occurs when doing very tight turns at slow speeds.
  • I’ve read it normally happens on small frames but mines a 56 so not small and I’ve got 9.5 size feet
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It happens on bikes with a shorter wheelbase, bikes designed for say crit racing where handling has to be racier, rather than on endurance bikes which have a longer wheelbase
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    I'm the same as piker and diamonddog - only had an issue at slow speed when turning and with mudguards.
    Something doesn't sound right, but I can't see anything obvious from the photo you posted in the other thread.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited January 2021
    Just to be clear, on a bike with toe overlap it will happen all the time, even when you're doing 85kph off the Galibier. But the wheel will only ever be near your shoe, if you're turning very tightly (a u-turn in the road) and that will be at close to 0kph.

I ride a 56, or thereabouts, and two of my bikes - including a custom steel one - have toe overlap.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Would different pedals and cleats change overlap Ben like say some speed plays rather than my 105 pedals
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    No. You should have the ball of your foot doing the pushing no matter what cleats, pedals or shoes you wear.

You could lop your toes off?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    No because your foot is still in the same place in relation to the pedal axle.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've got toe overlap on my CAAD 13 when it has mudguards fitted. As the others have mentioned it's no big deal as you're rarely making tight turns at slow speeds when riding on the road.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

Hi everyone I’ve recently purchased a new bike I’ve put a post on it last week and everyone’s been really helpful on it anyway on first ride I noticed toe overlap when I’m near the bottom of pedal stroke it’s not a massive amount but it does catch end of my shoe and it gets worse if my foots pointing in the downward direction I’ve had a few road bikes and this has never happened before but on my new allez elite it is a few guys on here said nothing to worry about but I can’t help think if it did touch the wheel at speed it might throw me of

Hi mate.

Absolutely no chance you will touch toe overlap at high speed.

It’s only a pain if you are going very slowly in traffic and doing track stand like movements but you’ll soon learn what to do with your feet.

Nothing to worry About. Enjoy the bike!
  • Went for small ride today and Like you guys said there’s no chance of catching my toe on wheel and I was evenTrying to do sharp turns at speed which ended in nearly high siding me of the bike 😂 I had to try it to put my mind at rest I’d say the only time it did touch is when I did a very slow wide turn So it’s all good now in my head to use it without worrying about catching my foot 👍👍
  • I'm short, riding a 52cm frame with mudguards, but with quite long feet. Toe overlap isn’t avoidable - it’s pretty much inevitable. And apart from on one very tight, low-speed turn on a local bridge over the A38, I never, ever even notice any toe overlap.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.