The Pet Thread

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
As the trivially annoying thread has got dominated by dog talk today I thought it might be useful to have a thread to discuss the pets we have, have had or would like to have or where people can get or give advice. I was going to make it a dog thread but in the times of inclusivity thought I'd better open it up.

I'll start by asking if anyone has had a Mali or Dutch Herder and their experiences with them in a home environment. I'm aware they need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation which is one of the reasons I want one. Open to suggestions of similar sized intelligent / easily trainable dogs too.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    It is only a viable thread if we immediately flag the dog hating cat people and the cat hating dog people.

We also must accept that goldfish aren't propper pets.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021
    MF is a cat man but TDV is a dog lady so we have a long nose called Goose and no cats because why would MF have a say in anything in his own bloody house?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect

Flag me. I hate cats.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Pross said:

As the trivially annoying thread has got dominated by dog talk today I thought it might be useful to have a thread to discuss the pets we have, have had or would like to have or where people can get or give advice. I was going to make it a dog thread but in the times of inclusivity thought I'd better open it up.

I'm hoping for more photos.
  • First.Aspect
    I love them both, but lifestyle not fair to a dog.

We have bengals and two moggies. The bengals are half dog half cat.

And before you ask they are outdoor cats and they do sh!t outside. In our garden and the surrounding fields and hedgerows.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I am very much not a cat person, i'd take a dog any day given the choice, but up until about 18 months ago we had 4 of the little buggers.

We're now down to 2. One got a brain tumour (well it had 1, that got removed and then it got another) and the other a stomach tumour.

Of the two left, one is diabetic, has pancreatitis and a chronic bowel condition leading to lots of diarrhea. We also think he now has a stomach tumour - going to a scan tomorrow morning.

We're not getting a dog until all the cats have gone and i've had a bit of rest from having to look after extras. We're gonna have our hands full with the baby in March.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

MF is a cat man but TDV is a dog lady so we have a long nose called Goose and no cats because why would MF have a say in anything in his own bloody house?

You compromised on an aardvark?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

Anteater.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Got a cat from the local rescue place. Like dogs too but like FA don't have the lifestyle/space currently.

Last cat was a street cat we adopted while living in Istanbul and bought back to the UK. He died in 2019 from heart issues.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

Flag me. I hate cats.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You might get banned. I'll pop your obit in the irony thread if you do.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Harry182 said:

Pross said:

Our current pair. My daughter's rescue Staffie and our Cockerpoo. Slightly deceptive as the Cockerpoo is very small for the breed (runt of the litter and dad was a toy poodle) and Staffie is actually a big example (possibly got something else in the mix).

In close to half a century I think I've only had a few months without dogs. When I lived with my parents we had up to four at a time along with a cat, various furry rodents and a load of terrapins my mum got from somewhere (the smelled worse than any other creature I've owned). I've also had a few horses at the high end of the maintenance scale - if any of you have kids that want to go that route bribe them with expensive toys instead!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Harry182 said:

Pross said:

Meet Muttley and Gnasher.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

Compromise suggests reasoned discussion with both parties presenting their arguments and a fair conclusion being reached with which both parties are satisfied.

MF was just told what was happening, to sign the cheque and shut up and pretend he’s happy so he doesn’t upset the children again.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    This is the sick one:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    This is the one who had the brain tumour post and pre-op

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    This is the one that went before Xmas with the stomach tumour
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

Compromise suggests reasoned discussion with both parties presenting their arguments and a fair conclusion being reached with which both parties are satisfied.

MF was just told what was happening, to sign the cheque and shut up and pretend he’s happy so he doesn’t upset the children again.

Children? They are animals.
  • elbowloh
    This is the screamer, who will possibly be the only one left. She's the oldest and the mother of the sick one (she was preggers when she came home with my wife
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    @Pross Aren’t the Malinois the ones that jump very high fences? Hassle to keep if so. I have a friend who’s a full time dog trainer, and she’s not that keen on the “shepherd/herder” type dogs as pets either as they are too much work and can be nippy.

Around here, there’s lots of Border Collies, and Westie terriers, and they’re all barking (literally).

If you want a dog to go walking/running, get a greyhound. 😀

https://youtube.com/watch?v=D7omYcdE7xI&feature=share
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    edited January 2021

This is Storm and Jupiter adopted from a local family moving away. At the moment they are mostly getting hair on the beds or hogging the sofa.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Pross said:

I'll start by asking if anyone has had a Mali or Dutch Herder and their experiences with them in a home environment. I'm aware they need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation which is one of the reasons I want one. Open to suggestions of similar sized intelligent / easily trainable dogs too.

I've got a Belgian shepherd but not a Mali. If you want a Mal do not go for a high drive working line one unless you really do intend to work it.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Like our previous cats, George adopted us.
    He always eats what he catches, maybe just leaving an odd feather.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited January 2021

Tigger Chilling out
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

So he was actually the runt of the litter, but definitely the cutest, when we got him nearly 12 years ago. People still assume he's a puppy for his small, soft appearance and playful manner. Is pretty smart and could probably have been trained to do all those clever collie things that ABCs can't do, but we're not that smart, or at least couldn't be bothered, so we're content with things like opening and closing the back door for himself when he goes in or out.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431

This is my bull lurcher Dora, a Staffie/sight hound mix. We rescued her at the age of about six months. So fast and strong and rippling with muscles, like a greyhound on steroids with a big jaw. The tabloids carried stories a few years ago about bull lurchers being a new fad among criminals and poachers wanting a “designer super dog”. Dora adored people more than any dog I’ve known and was a great companion for running, long walks and camper van trips. She was so easy going and really popular with friends who normally disliked dogs. But she had no recall and we had to be careful around other dogs. She died a few weeks ago at the age of 11 due to a tumour in her chest. We now have a Welsh border collie/working cocker spaniel lockdown puppy. We’d forgotten how hard it was to bring up a pup.

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441

Here’s the pup ...

So adorable, like all puppies
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Here’s the pup ...

“I didn’t mean to eat your shoes daddy.” Seriously cute, like a cartoon puppy.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Like our previous cats, George adopted us.
    He always eats what he catches, maybe just leaving an odd feather.

What’s he got there Bally? Can’t quite make it out.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי