LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483

Didn’t this very thread declare this unworkable?
    My suggestion so it hit a knee jerk rejection in some quarters.

It would be less market distorting.
    Wait, what? You, of all people on here, are advocating central control of property values?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Politically it would also alienate large swathes of the country where property prices are generally high and where there are lots of Tory constituencies.

Also if, as elbowloh says above, it doesn't change the overall revenues but changes how the cost is split, not sure what the point is?

The rate you pay is set pretty arbitrarily now. Imagine if income tax was worked in the same way and all those earning over £50K paid £10K tax regardless of whether they earned £51K or £250K.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    I don't mean to be funny lads but they could not get the bedroom tax through. What chance Have they got taxing the middle classes and above out their existing homes.
  • rjsterry said:

Wait, what? You, of all people on here, are advocating central control of property values?
    Nope I am arguing that stamp duty distorts the property market. Taxing people on how often they move is madness compared to a fixed annual sum.

There are problems with implementation but the biggest problem is that the losers will shout ten times louder than the gainers.
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Politically it would also alienate large swathes of the country where property prices are generally high and where there are lots of Tory constituencies.

Also if, as elbowloh says above, it doesn't change the overall revenues but changes how the cost is split, not sure what the point is?

So as an example, if it happened and alienated you, who would you subsequently vote for?
    You have just highlighted why it won't happen.
    Highly unlikely I know. But - 80 seat majority, blah blah. Would be popular with aspirational Tory voters (jealousy principle). Perhaps they could be push this through and still win despite reduced party donations. Winning is everything, after all, right?

Question still stands - what’s the alternative vote?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

So as an example, if it happened and alienated you, who would you subsequently vote for?
    You have just highlighted why it won't happen.
    Highly unlikely I know. But - 80 seat majority, blah blah. Would be popular with aspirational Tory voters (jealousy principle). Perhaps they could be push this through and still win despite reduced party donations. Winning is everything, after all, right?

Question still stands - what’s the alternative vote?
    Well Brexit came around purely to unite the party and that backfired.
    Want round two? Won't happen and the voters are way down the line.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80

rjsterry said:

Nope I am arguing that stamp duty distorts the property market. Taxing people on how often they move is madness compared to a fixed annual sum.

There are problems with implementation but the biggest problem is that the losers will shout ten times louder than the gainers.
    It certainly reduces labour mobility. This in my view is a bad thing.
  • john80
    I guess on the flip side an equivalent yearly charge would be unaffordable for a lot of people out of their wages versus out of the sale of an asset on a big loan.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Eh ? I thought you were anti migrant?
  • john80

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Unfortunately I am not as one dimensional as you like to make out. Its a shame when people mess up your stereotypes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149

Stevo_666 said:

I'll consider that if it happens.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Agree on stamp duty. Not sure a different arbitrary tax is any better. What are your thoughts on a local income tax?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Unfortunately I am not as one dimensional as you like to make out. Its a shame when people mess up your stereotypes.
    Someone will correct me but you’ve consistently used reducing immigration as a justification for Brexit so forgive me for thinking that what you thought.

• john80 said:

I guess on the flip side an equivalent yearly charge would be unaffordable for a lot of people out of their wages versus out of the sale of an asset on a big loan.

Stamp duty is paid when you buy so your flip side only kicks in when you are moving back down the ladder
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Someone will correct me but you’ve consistently used reducing immigration as a justification for Brexit so forgive me for thinking that what you thought.

You can think that the ridiculous cost of moving house has a detrimental effect on the mobility of labour within the UK and want to stop JF coming here
  • rick_chasey

john80 said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

You can think that the ridiculous cost of moving house has a detrimental effect on the mobility of labour within the UK and want to stop JF coming here
    I see that as cognitive dissonance so you might need to explain how that works to me.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Agree on stamp duty. Not sure a different arbitrary tax is any better. What are your thoughts on a local income tax?

The local bit is all bollocks as the vast majority of funds come from central grants so I would not bother with another tax on earnings.

I would put stamp duty back to a flat rate of 1% on all transactions and then extract the rest from upping council tax
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,277
    edited January 2021
    You really can't understand the difference? Surely you can imagine that some might have no issue with British folk moving around the country wherever they please, but not want as many immigrants. You don't have to agree with it obviously.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

You really can't understand the difference? Surely you can imagine that some might have no issue with British folk moving around the country wherever they please, but not want as many immigrants. You don't have to agree with it obviously.

I know it exists but I can't see the logic in the position. If you believe in the value of labour mobility then what difference does an arbitrary border make?

Honestly, this is probably just the product of being born with two nationalities and having lived in a number of different countries, so the idea that somehow foreigners are different is quite alien to me.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

The local bit is all bollocks as the vast majority of funds come from central grants so I would not bother with another tax on earnings.

I would put stamp duty back to a flat rate of 1% on all transactions and then extract the rest from upping council tax
    52% from council tax, and 17% from retained business rates. This has changed significantly over the last 10 years.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

I know it exists but I can't see the logic in the position. If you believe in the value of labour mobility then what difference does an arbitrary border make?

Honestly, this is probably just the product of being born with two nationalities and having lived in a number of different countries, so the idea that somehow foreigners are different is quite alien to me.
    Surprised you are acting incredulous at this Rick. Obviously it's not a logical position but it's hardly a shock.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Surprised you are acting incredulous at this Rick. Obviously it's not a logical position but it's hardly a shock.
    I'm not incredulous.

I just don't see the logical consistency between being pro-labour mobility within a border but not across them.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

52% from council tax, and 17% from retained business rates. This has changed significantly over the last 10 years.
    is that across the board or for Kingston?
  • pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I'm not incredulous.

I just don't see the logical consistency between being pro-labour mobility within a border but not across them.
    xenophobia
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I'm not incredulous.

I guess it depends on how attached you are to nationhood.
    As someone who has dual nationality and has lived in various countries you perhaps have little feeling for nationhood, and that is possibly borne out in some of your views about GB & the UK.
    Others will feel strongly about nationhood and would prefer people of their nation to be able to move freely and easily to find work within their nation, ahead of havign people from outside the nation coming in to do said jobs.
    It is just a different view, though one that falls down if the 'local' population aren't willing to move, or aren't willing or able to undertake the jobs in a different part of the country.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I'm not incredulous.

As someone who has dual nationality and has lived in various countries you perhaps have little feeling for nationhood, and that is possibly borne out in some of your views about GB & the UK.
    Others will feel strongly about nationhood and would prefer people of their nation to be able to move freely and easily to find work within their nation, ahead of havign people from outside the nation coming in to do said jobs.
    It is just a different view, though one that falls down if the 'local' population aren't willing to move, or aren't willing or able to undertake the jobs in a different part of the country.
    Yes, it's just a different view. One called xenophobia as SC says.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

is that across the board or for Kingston?
    Across England.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/local-government-funding-england

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/housing-communities-and-local-government-committee/local-government-finance-and-the-2019-spending-review/written/100703.html

From the NAO - "Government funding for local authorities has fallen by an estimated 49.1% in real terms from 2010-11 to 2017-18."
  • pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I'm not incredulous.

Yes, it's just a different view. One called xenophobia as SC says.
    I try very hard not to see it as a perjorative word
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Even if, like me, you would like the freedom to move anywhere in the world, it's hard to imagine how this would fit with other people's views which ultimately it has to. Furthermore, it's also easy to imagine that it might lead to mass population change. On that basis, most people accept some form of control on movement.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I'm not incredulous.

xenophobia
    If xenophobia is the fear or hatred of something foreign, belief in nationhood doesn't equate to xenophobia by default, though obviously in some situations it may do.