Shimano r785 installation

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
Installing some Shimano r785 levers the manual says 5-7n meters but I don’t have a spanner with torque. Should almost all the thread be in?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The amount of thread showing won't have any correlation to the torque setting.
  • jpower
    I have a torque wrench but due to the wire coming thru you need a spanner style and I can’t seem to find anything like that.
  • You need a crow's foot in order to use your torque wrench. Assuming it's a 1/4 drive ratchet then something like this

https://www.amp-starters.co.uk/Sealey-Ak5983.01---Crows-Foot-Spanner-8mm__p-69432.aspx
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Or just do it up reasonably tight with a small spanner, like most people do. If it weeps put another 1/8 of a turn on.
  • jpower

Or just do it up reasonably tight with a small spanner, like most people do. If it weeps put another 1/8 of a turn on.

Very much like this option.

With the internal bar routing and the angle, I just want to be sure the cable is pushed in far enough.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    the slightly obsessive way would be as above to buy an 8mm crowsfoot and use your torque wrench. thats the way i do it because i have those things.

However

I did loads of them over the years without issue. however the perceived torque i was doing with the spanner was miles more than the amount perceived using measured torque.

This tells me, nip it up but dont be a gorrilla and youll be fine. Dont worry.

What I would be cautious about though is how tight you tighten the small screw on the reservoir. they are irc .1 - .3 which is fingertip not even a nip up tight.
    Piece of p iss to balls the screw up or the thread in the shifter or both. (that i have done and again having bought an appropriate driver im surprised at light the pressure required is.)

• jpower
    Thanks. Waiting for bleed kit now, as I lost fluid and def have air in it. Fingers crossed.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    david37 said:

This tells me, nip it up but dont be a gorrilla and youll be fine. Dont worry

This is my preferred technique, mainly because I'm too tight to buy a torque wrench. With bicycle stuff I tend to err on the side of caution, you can always nip it up a bit more if necessary.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2021

david37 said:

This tells me, nip it up but dont be a gorrilla and youll be fine. Dont worry

This is my preferred technique, mainly because I'm too tight to buy a torque wrench. With bicycle stuff I tend to err on the side of caution, you can always nip it up a bit more if necessary.
    deffo though its worth noting that although the thread is quite beefy, the material it screws into is thin. And made of cheese.

there are some things that the correct amount of torque is crtitical though like some of the suspension pivots on some bikes. too much and it doesnt work, too little and it falls apart.

• I don't use a torque wrench for this either as you would need an 8mm crow foot. Again don't be a gorilla and have a feel for threads.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk