Refurb wahoo2018, wahoo v5 or something’s cheaper?

Good morning all.

My heads battered after reading some many reviews and I am just need of some help please.

I am looking in buying an indoor trainer and have a few questions please, if you could point me in right direction that would be awesome ?

What are your opinions on the wahoo Kickr 2018 (refurb) over the new 2020 version? The refurb is £150 cheaper but unsure if this is a sensible purchase or not ?

Or would you recommend going for a different type of trainer maybe the Elite Direto XR or even a Tacx flux 2.

I am really not wanting to spend £1000 on a device but unsure that the wahoo refurb could be a waste of money and the other devices are not much cop.

Half the problem is that inadvertently over researched and now got myself confused!

Thanks again for all your help and hope you and all your families are well during this awful pandemic

Matt x

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    The differences between the Wahoo V5 & 2018 are minimal the main one being the revised feet that are supposed to give a bit more lateral movement. I've no direct experience of this but reading online the reviews are mixed as to whether they make any noticeable difference to the riding experience.

If that was important to you Wahoo sell them separately so you could even buy the refurb trainer & then the feet which would still be cheaper than a whole new V5 unit.

Personally I wouldn't have any real worries buying the refurb unit. I've dealt with Wahoo customer services a few times & they have always been spot on if the worst came to the worst.

I had 2 Flux 1's which both had to go back with strange sounding noises coming from the flywheel although to balance that when the new silent Kickr came out I had 2 of those go pear shaped as well. They were plagued with issues early on although that seems to be ironed out now. My Kickr V4 has 4000+ km on it now & touch wood it's been excellent.

Never had a Direto so can't comment on that but reviews of those are decent as well.

If it was my money I would go for the refurb Kickr but whatever you decide do it quick as turbo trainers & their accessories don't hang around for long in the current climate.
  • matt71
    matt71 Posts: 27
    Cheers ibr17xvii appreciate your reply and help 👍
  • I've just got one of the refurbished Kickr 2018's direct from Wahoo. Hard to tell it's not new and after a few hundred miles I'm happy.

I got mine to replace the Kickr Core I got that expired after a month. Wahoo were fantastic in dealing with the fault and after a few videos and data file requests they sorted a replacement and upgraded me to the Kickr within a day.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited January 2021

I've just got one of the refurbished Kickr 2018's direct from Wahoo. Hard to tell it's not new and after a few hundred miles I'm happy.

I got mine to replace the Kickr Core I got that expired after a month. Wahoo were fantastic in dealing with the fault and after a few videos and data file requests they sorted a replacement and upgraded me to the Kickr within a day.

How much do they sell for, and what warranty do they give you?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mine was a swap out for my Kickr Core but looking at the Wahoo site they are £850 with 2 year warranty and more importantly in stock.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    daniel_b said:

I've just got one of the refurbished Kickr 2018's direct from Wahoo. Hard to tell it's not new and after a few hundred miles I'm happy.

How much do they sell for, and what warranty do they give you?

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/wahoo-kickr-powertrainer-reconditioned

£849.99 with a 2 year warranty.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    edited January 2021

My refurd kickr core became noisy after 14 months and I have just returned it for a replacement. Did they send you a kickr18 as a replacement and if so how much to upgrade to the kickr18.

• I had nothing extra to pay, just goodwill and luck that there were no Cores available at the time. My Core died after 1 month, started to massively over read. It had me putting out over 1500 watts constantly and there was no resistance at all.