Hydraulic Olive Issues

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
Bashing my head, I am changing levers so took out the hydraulic cable, and as the new lever has a different nut I had to cut it off, I put the new nut and olive down the wire, then inserted the barb.

The barb I cannot push close to the barb, plus if I push the wire in the nut will not make contact as the barb is protruding. I'm am lost now.

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Is the barb the right size, and how hard are you pushing/hitting it?
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    You hit the nail on the head, today I learnt there are 2 hydraulic hoses same outside diameter, so looks all the same.

BM59 older - 2.3mm inner, requires the brass coloured barb usually
    BH90 newer - 2.1mm inner, requires silver coloured barb usually.

I have BH90 hose and was using the brass BH59 barb, thus probably making the hose bulge and hence olive would not go over.

Have ordered BH90 barb now and hope that sorts it out.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    Even with the correct size barb it's still going to be a tricky job to get fully inserted. If you don't have one it's worth buying the Shimano hose clamp tool, it's overpriced for what it is but does make it a lot easier.

Failing that a second option is carefully widening the the hole size slightly using a 1mm Allen key or similar and wiggle it around which does help getting the barb fully inserted.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2021

Even with the correct size barb it's still going to be a tricky job to get fully inserted. If you don't have one it's worth buying the Shimano hose clamp tool, it's overpriced for what it is but does make it a lot easier.

Failing that a second option is carefully widening the the hole size slightly using a 1mm Allen key or similar and wiggle it around which does help getting the barb fully inserted.

noooooooooooooooo. thats a practical solution BUT

use the shimano clamp. they are included with your new shifters, alternately you LBS probably has themlying around. if your hose is already installed on the bike such that you cant use your vice to hold them then vicegrips work perfectly.

Better yet, spend £12 on the jagwire tool which grips the hose and allows you to smoothly wind the barb in. this also has a reversible tip with a torx bit on so you can wind other brands barbs in too.

EDIT: i think Park has a tool which also cuts the hose if required but cost over a hundred notes :D:D:D

if you need to cut the hoses you obviously need a perfectly straight cut and jagwire do a cigar cutter style for c£15 which is excellent. Possibly over kill if you're only ever going to do the job once or twice.

I'd recommend doing this job properly because A its satisfying, B hydraulic fluid leaking from yourSTI is a pain in the neck and youll only end up doing the job twice anyway and probably replacing bar tape and pads and C it spoils your enjoyment when things arent quite as they should be but you cant put your finger on it.

likewise official shimano barbs and olives are more expensive than aftermarket products. EVERYONE i know buys the cheaper aftermarket products for their own kit. I personally only ever use the OEM stuff on the basis of B above and doing everything I can to make sure people dont come back and give me the opportunity to put things right for free.

• reaperactual
    edited January 2021
    I agree @david37 it was a second option for when I wasn't prepared to pay for a hose clamp tool thinking it was a one off job.

That method worked just fine for me back in the day and will work but only if necessary.

If we we're all so an#l about doing these jobs by the book we'd all have hose gadgets in the first place. 😆
  • david37
    edited January 2021

I agree @david37 it was a second option for when I wasn't prepared to pay for a hose clamp tool thinking it was a one off job.

That method worked just fine for me back in the day and will work but only if necessary.

If we we're all so an#l about doing these jobs by the book we'd all have hose gadgets in the first place. 😆

HA im totally anal about it, I even have a torque wrench that does .3nm for the diddy screw on the lever reservoir. :). I must get out and actually ride more :)

Also i agree with you its a bike not the space shuttle a bit of creative workround is part of the fun.
  • reaperactual
    edited January 2021
    Lol!🤣 Can't be the only one who bodges first time around. 😬

It's a right of passage that teaches us the value of the right tool for the job.

I'm with you (not .3Nm an#l) about stuff too now after hours wasted and the frustration of using whatever tools are lying around. Never again, hopefully? 🤔🤪
  • For hose cutting, I used one of these:

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-brake-hose-cutter

Cheap as the chips, and their bleed kits are great too. Oh, and they'll also tell you what barbs you need for which systems (and of course, they sell them too).
  • david37

For hose cutting, I used one of these:

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-brake-hose-cutter

Cheap as the chips, and their bleed kits are great too. Oh, and they'll also tell you what barbs you need for which systems (and of course, they sell them too).

thats a great link!