Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• Johnny Marr is a supremely gifted guitarist.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    As a kid I used to think that, 'What the hell is he on about?'. Now when I hear the lyrics in passing, yeah I get it and how it would have meant a lot to some kids in that era when I didn't understand. Basically, I was happy when I was young and didn't feel isolated. I'm still am as an adult too, but maybe with more experience and inevitable empathy I don't just dismiss it.

I mean who here can't have empath with the lyric:

"Punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet?"
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579

Johnny Marr is a supremely gifted guitarist.

Absolute top chap, too.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Jonny Marr has also played with the Charlatans, the Cribs, Electronic...the list goes on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

I would put Queen in room 101

I utterly agree, they're absolute bobbins. Overblown, pompous shite.
    I was at a party as a young man, I mentioned that Queen were carp, chap says to me "name another band that have more massively influenced music". I listed a huge great number, starting with The Smiths.

He just looked at me, and said: "B**tard"
    The Smiths massively influenced music?
    That comes as news to me. Is it an unpopular opinion thinking Morrisey is a knob?
    Nope, he was always a bell-end, he has just become a more fascist bell-end.
    Doesn't mean that The Smiths weren't hugely influential.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    secretsam said:

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

I would put Queen in room 101

I utterly agree, they're absolute bobbins. Overblown, pompous shite.
    I was at a party as a young man, I mentioned that Queen were carp, chap says to me "name another band that have more massively influenced music". I listed a huge great number, starting with The Smiths.

He just looked at me, and said: "B**tard"
    The Smiths massively influenced music?
    That comes as news to me. Is it an unpopular opinion thinking Morrisey is a knob?
    Nope, he was always a bell-end, he has just become a more fascist bell-end.
    Doesn't mean that The Smiths weren't hugely influential.
    I must enjoy having unpopular opinions. 🤣
    Some good songs but I don't see where they were influential. Hey ho...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022
    The Food in Wetherspoons is very good and represents excellent value for money, especially with a nice quality alcoholic beverage. It also puts some fancy restaurants to shame who serve up a lettuce leaf and a token gesture of meat and charge you triple the amount. To me, half of it is just snobbery, or fussy sods.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868

The Food in Wetherspoons is very good and represents excellent value for money, especially with a nice quality alcoholic beverage. It also puts some fancy restaurants to shame who serve up a lettuce leaf and a token gesture of meat and charge you triple the amount. To me, half of it is just snobbery, or fussy sods.

Hahaha good one.
  • focuszing723
    Jezyboy said:

Hahaha good one.
    Yep, see, I knew I would get this reaction. I really don't see anything wrong with it, especially for the money. Anybody who turns their nose up to me must just be one of these fussy sod's, who ask for a meal and say "Expect the pea's and carrot's" then leave half of it on the plate when they've finished.
  • It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022
    Perhaps I was over doing it a bit. I still think it's a damn sight better than some restaurants I've been to that charge triple the price, not including a drink.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

If microwaved food is your thing, it's OK. Haven't been into a Wetherspoon's since Tim Martin pinned his colours to the Brexit mast and shafted his staff over covid.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Unfortunately I think it is a quite popular opinion.
  • focuszing723

If microwaved food is your thing, it's OK. Haven't been into a Wetherspoon's since Tim Martin pinned his colours to the Brexit mast and shafted his staff over covid.
    If you looked into every Company and their ethics, you'd have to have an allotment and whittle the products you use with wood. No question he was daft though, getting political, he guaranteed he would alienate half his customers at a stroke.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited January 2022

Perhaps I was over doing it a bit. I still think it's a damn sight better than some restaurants I've been to that charge triple the price, not including a drink.

I think they are better for drinks, but I'm always a fan of pub eating as there is so much less faff (until they ruin it and become gastro pubs).
  • focuszing723
    Yeah, I agree in terms of eating in a pub, but stick with there is nothing wrong with their food either.
  • It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

About 20 years ago I had a mixed grill in Surbiton Wetherspoons as nowhere else was Erving food mid-afternoon. The Cumberland ring was frozen in the middle, I haven’t eaten there since.

They do good beer but like Brian my boycott is steadfast and more meaningful than my refusal to buy JCB products or invest through Hargreaves Lansdown
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2022

If you looked into every Company and their ethics, you'd have to have an allotment and whittle the products you use with wood. No question he was daft though, getting political, he guaranteed he would alienate half his customers at a stroke.

I think he's just a massive bellënd, even if he does live just along the road from me. On the plus side, he's got quite a nice gate.
  • focuszing723

I think he's just a massive bellënd, even if he does live just along the road from me. On the plus side, he's got quite a nice gate.
    That's begging for a description.
  • TheBigBean

Yeah, I agree in terms of eating in a pub, but stick with there is nothing wrong with their food either.

I've eaten there quite a bit. It's ok for the price, but I'm also happy eating in cheap cafes.
  • focuszing723

About 20 years ago I had a mixed grill in Surbiton Wetherspoons as nowhere else was Erving food mid-afternoon. The Cumberland ring was frozen in the middle, I haven’t eaten there since.
    /
    They do good beer but like Brian my boycott is steadfast and more meaningful than my refusal to buy JCB products or invest through Hargreaves Lansdown
    Did you send it back and ask for another one? Or stoically/Britishly leave it, then moan about it for the next twenty years?
  • TheBigBean
    On the subject, a day at Lords should start with a fry up in the cafe just south of the roundabout. Very satisfying.
  • focuszing723

I've eaten there quite a bit. It's ok for the price, but I'm also happy eating in cheap cafes.
    Yeah, see I've just not a fussy eater either. That's not to say if the portions were lousy or poor quality, I would object to it.
  • briantrumpet

I'll do a photo, but not tonight. It's a handmade, stainless steel garden gate, a nice design.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

/
    Did you send it back and ask for another one? Or stoically/Britishly leave it, then moan about it for the next twenty years?
    When asked if everything was alright, he probably nodded enthusiastically and said everything was fine.
    And for the next 20 years he insisted on paying twice as much for his beer.
    "Take that Tim! That'll show him"
  • focuszing723

I'll do a photo, but not tonight. It's a handmade, stainless steel garden gate, a nice design.
    Nice, I will drink a craft beer to that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

One for the photography thread.
  • TheBigBean
    As well as preferring to eat in pubs for the simplicity, I prefer the service in cheap cafes to posh restaurants.
  • focuszing723
    Yeah, damn. I thought I was going to get roasted on this one.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Yeah, damn. I thought I was going to get roasted on this one.

No mate. Nowt wrong with Wetherspoons. Certainly not the 2 closest to me.