Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544

Pross said:

I finally got around to watching Quadrophenia after all these years of people saying "it's a classic" "you have to watch it" and found it a bit boring. Two hours and other than the famous 15 minute "battle on the beach" scene nothing happens.

For the record I love the music of The Who but the film was dull.

Run away from any film called a classic and sprint if it is known as a cult classic.
    I agree generally although "cult classic" The Warriors is a favourite of mine.

Every time I try to watch films that feature in the top few of all the greatest films of all time votes I end up disappointed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907

Pross said:

I finally got around to watching Quadrophenia after all these years of people saying "it's a classic" "you have to watch it" and found it a bit boring. Two hours and other than the famous 15 minute "battle on the beach" scene nothing happens.

For the record I love the music of The Who but the film was dull.

Run away from any film called a classic and sprint if it is known as a cult classic.

There are one or two that I watched un-sober at university (including one where a character surfs back towards Earth from outer space) that seemed very funny at the time. Probably best not to try to re-watch.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    And everything The Who did sounds the same so that's not really a selling point either tbh

#oh.haven'ttheyplayedthisalready?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Led Zeppelin were utter dross.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Led Zeppelin were utter dross.

Now that is an unpopular opinion. Care to expand?
  • shortfall said:

Nordic God's, bad hair, Self indulgent nonsense.

Not for me.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

shortfall said:

Not for me.
    Hmmm I'll give you self indulgent. They did some of the best rock songs of all time though that have endured all this time, plus some of the best riffs, they had amongst the best rock drummers and guitarists ever, their influence was huge and they even conquered America. I get it if they're not to your taste, but dross?
  • shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Not for me.
    Hmmm I'll give you self indulgent. They did some of the best rock songs of all time though that have endured all this time, plus some of the best riffs, they had amongst the best rock drummers and guitarists ever, their influence was huge and they even conquered America. I get it if they're not to your taste, but dross?
    🤣It's a good point and dross was perhaps the wrong term. I get the virtuosity but just find the music soulless with no spirit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    I would put Queen in room 101
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    My god, what a start to the year.
    I agree with Rick.
    I hope it's only a blip.
  • rick_chasey
    I only gave the DJ at my wedding two rules - all requests from anyone are fine and encouraged as long as they keep the party going and no Queen.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407

I agree with Rick.

Wash your mouth out!

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn said:

I agree with Rick.

Wash your mouth out!

I'll console myself with the knowledge that he probably feels as dirty as I do.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I didn't use to like Queen, but warmed to them as I got older.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

I only gave the DJ at my wedding two rules - all requests from anyone are fine and encouraged as long as they keep the party going and no Queen.

God I so agree. Except for "I want to break free" which was okay. And "Under Pressure" which was really Bowie.
  • MattFalle

this is the best thing Richard has ever said.

Queen.Uttershite.

#turnthatracketoff
  • MattFalle

I agree with Rick.
    I hope it's only a blip.

This.

#newyearshocker
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    edited January 2021

I utterly agree, they're absolute bobbins. Overblown, pompous shite.
    I was at a party as a young man, I mentioned that Queen were carp, chap says to me "name another band that have more massively influenced music". I listed a huge great number, starting with The Smiths.

He just looked at me, and said: "B**tard"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I guess my opinion might be unpopular here then: that, if you don't rate an artist as highly as others do, they didn't make the music they did just because they hated you and wanted to see you suffer, nor is their success due to a massive worldwide conspiracy set up purely to wind you personally up.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021

I guess my opinion might be unpopular here then: that, if you don't rate an artist as highly as others do, they didn't make the music they did just because they hated you and wanted to see you suffer, nor is their success due to a massive worldwide conspiracy set up purely to wind you personally up.

Lies, lies!

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    secretsam said:

I was at a party as a young man, I mentioned that Queen were carp, chap says to me "name another band that have more massively influenced music". I listed a huge great number, starting with The Smiths.

The Smiths massively influenced music?
    That comes as news to me. Is it an unpopular opinion thinking Morrisey is a knob?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

That comes as news to me. Is it an unpopular opinion thinking Morrisey is a knob?
    And heaven knows I'm miserable now.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,664
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

No, that is a verifiable fact.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlfINuDdKE
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited January 2021

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Johnny Marr with The Killers
    Can Johnny Marr play the guitar? Yes.
    Did The Smiths massively influence music? No.
    I suppose SS's post is in the correct thread. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

It's a pet hate of mine when people dismiss anything they don't like as rubbish rather than just not to their taste. There's plenty I don't like but it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as crap on that basis (I'm sure I have done / will do again and am open to accusations of hypocrisy but I do try to avoid it).
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    edited January 2021
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Johnny Marr with The Killers
    Can Johnny Marr play the guitar? Yes.
    Did The Smiths massively influence music? No.
    I suppose SS's post is in the correct thread. 😉
    If you can't hear the influence, I can't help you. (Ignoring Morrissey as we have to try to nowadays.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMuDmHJ_cHs

(Plus Live Forever by Oasis is basically a bad Johnny Marr impression.)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    Pross said:

It's a pet hate of mine when people dismiss anything they don't like as rubbish rather than just not to their taste. There's plenty I don't like but it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as censored on that basis (I'm sure I have done / will do again and am open to accusations of hypocrisy but I do try to avoid it).
    Although Morrisey & The Smiths were utter shite.
  • Pross

Pross said:

It's a pet hate of mine when people dismiss anything they don't like as rubbish rather than just not to their taste. There's plenty I don't like but it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as censored on that basis (I'm sure I have done / will do again and am open to accusations of hypocrisy but I do try to avoid it).
    Although Morrisey & The Smiths were utter shite.
    Ha ha, I nearly said that myself. My first memory of Morrisey is him on Top of The Pops singing Panic with what appeared to be half a hedge attached to his arse. They've never been to my taste ;)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,601
    edited January 2021
    Viewed now, Quadrophenia is a clunky naff film. Massive impact back in the day though and best viewed with a nostalgic view - modernist sympathies improve it somewhat.

Queen - overrated and saved by Live Aid. Since Mercury died the band (all only moderately talented) have torn any dignity from the hollow husk of the band.

The Smiths - great legacy as a band. The abhorrance of Morrisey is only countered however by the wonder of Marr. They were plagiarists but I can see that the would also influence onwards.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner