Nostalgia Thread

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited January 2021

This is interesting if you have some good quality nostalgic kit you want to use.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    edited January 2021

This is interesting if you have some good quality nostalgic kit you want to use.

Ooh, that does look interesting. Got any more details?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
    rjsterry said:

I must admit I didn't even bother to look it up, as modern cameras work by having all the 'lectrics and software hooked up to each other in an integrated system... I can't see the point of trying to shoehorn bits of that into a lump of beautiful mechanics. If I do use the OM1 again, it'll be for something quite distinct from my daily snapping: the restrictions would be part of what would make it distinct.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    rjsterry said:
    To be fair I'm not surprised really.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    back on topic...

Bringing home a new LP, taking the cellophane wrappings off and sliding the black disc out of the sleeve. Some had polythene inner on the sleeve, and it used to crackle with static and you were scared it was going to immediately hoover up all the dust. Enjoying the 'new' smell. Putting it on the turntable and playing it for the first time.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    capt_slog said:

back on topic...

Bringing home a new LP, taking the cellophane wrappings off and sliding the black disc out of the sleeve. Some had polythene inner on the sleeve, and it used to crackle with static and you were scared it was going to immediately hoover up all the dust. Enjoying the 'new' smell. Putting it on the turntable and playing it for the first time.

Not done that (with a new record) in 35 years but the sensory memories came flooding back.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    Proper tents made of canvas and with wooden poles.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    rjsterry said:

Shouldn't this be in the other thread? Bulky and heavy to transport, more gaps which is OK if the weather stays dry and you want some ventilation but I had my stuff get wet too many times on scout camps.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    So this will come across as convoluted, but let me try to explain.

I miss people (namely, in this instance, me, but also others) feeling confident about sharing negative opinions about creative things like TV, film, music, novels, etc.

I feel like nowadays people feel there is so much good stuff out there ready to consume and so little time to do it that all they're on the hunt for is a recommendation. Spending time discussing something and why you didn't like it is a sort of admission you wasted your precious time; and if they have consumed it too, then by saying you don't like it you're saying, indirectly, that they wasted their time; doubly so if you get them to agree with you, so they never really engage in the conversation anymore.

Maybe it's because everything is so atomised and no-one consumes this stuff at a similar time that you don't *all* consume it and then discuss it afterwards.

The exception would be sport, where everyone does watch it real time and you don't know till after the fact if it's a stinker or not.

Anyway, I miss that. Opinions in the real world are not valued. Or maybe i've just become more self aware and have realised my opinions never were.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Shouldn't this be in the other thread? Bulky and heavy to transport, more gaps which is OK if the weather stays dry and you want some ventilation but I had my stuff get wet too many times on scout camps.
    I can remember one camp where we were the only troop to not abandon our tents during a torrential night thunderstorm. We did get a bit wet, but nothing blew away. Having recently camped on a windy headland in a modern tent, I think weight has its uses.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

So this will come across as convoluted, but let me try to explain.

I miss people (namely, in this instance, me, but also others) feeling confident about sharing negative opinions about creative things like TV, film, music, novels, etc.

I feel like nowadays people feel there is so much good stuff out there ready to consume and so little time to do it that all they're on the hunt for is a recommendation. Spending time discussing something and why you didn't like it is a sort of admission you wasted your precious time; and if they have consumed it too, then by saying you don't like it you're saying, indirectly, that they wasted their time; doubly so if you get them to agree with you, so they never really engage in the conversation anymore.

Maybe it's because everything is so atomised and no-one consumes this stuff at a similar time that you don't *all* consume it and then discuss it afterwards.

The exception would be sport, where everyone does watch it real time and you don't know till after the fact if it's a stinker or not.

Anyway, I miss that. Opinions in the real world are not valued. Or maybe i've just become more self aware and have realised my opinions never were.

I'm happy to confidently share negative opinions on internet posts if that will cheer you up?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

I can remember one camp where we were the only troop to not abandon our tents during a torrential night thunderstorm. We did get a bit wet, but nothing blew away. Having recently camped on a windy headland in a modern tent, I think weight has its uses.
    I hope that earned you an "ard as nails" badge?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

...Opinions in the real world are not valued. Or maybe i've just become more self aware and have realised my opinions never were.

Self awareness is a good thing and a step forward.
    I enjoy the irony that this opinion will not be valued.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Ha. All good character building stuff.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Ha. All good character building stuff.
    Better to build the shelter. My poor kids are likely to suffer that one one day.
  • walking through snow
  • Pross

walking through snow

Only to be sent home again because the shitty boiler system never worked properly.
  • Pross said:

walking through snow

Only to be sent home again because the shitty boiler system never worked properly.
    I remember a blizzard coming in and not being allowed to leave without my brother as he was only 5 and would not be safe without a 7 yr old to walk the Km home in a blizzard.

In fairness it was a great fun
  • Does 2 years ago count as nostalgia?
    My street.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Pross said:

walking through snow

Nah, up North we just kept out coats on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Being able to go into a supermarket without being forced to wear a ******* mask.
  • Pross

Does 2 years ago count as nostalgia?
    My street.

I'm looking at that thinking I recognise it but it isn't where I thought.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Pross said:

Also, if you had forgotten to do some work, being able to say you posted it a few days ago and act surprised they hadn't received, promise to resend it and finally get around to it.

See also: internal mail. I used to work in a hospital, got a Memo (!) asking me to do something urgent for a Consultant who was an absolute tool, and which was absolutely pointless. As it hadn't been date-stamped, I simply popped it back in an envelope and sent it back to myself. It arrived (again) a day after the deadline; Consultant rang me up and I told him it was late - he swore about the internal mail and that was that!!!!! :D Possibly not my most professional moment, but still...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Photograph Albums

Real ones I mean, that you can handle and view without being on-line or even having electricity for that matter.

I know other peoples can be a little tedious and maybe even boring but your own for your own enjoyment, I miss that
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    You were born either boy or girl and that was the way you stayed.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Not sure how old you are Bally

Sumerian and Akkadian texts from 4500 years ago document transgender or transvestite priests known as gala and by other names

From Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_history
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    elbowloh said:

Not sure how old you are Bally

Sumerian and Akkadian texts from 4500 years ago document transgender or transvestite priests known as gala and by other names

From Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_history

I would imagine gender reassignment surgery would be pretty brutal. Not much chance of changing back again I'd imagine.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

walking through snow

School? You were lucky to go to school! We were sent to the workhouse.

:wink:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross said:

walking through snow

Wow. I'd forgotten about this!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/