Inside Knee Pain

Hi all

Whenever i ride my bike i probably get 30mins into a ride and the inside of my knee starts to hurt. I wear knee compression supports when riding and this seemed to help it a little.
All the information i can find online suggests moving cleat position but i use Flat pedals so not sure what that information is telling me

Anyone have any ideas or how i can figure out whats going on

Thanks

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It could just be an imbalance in the muscles - i.e. some around the knee are stronger than others because of the type of exercising you've been doing. There could be some exercises you could do to strengthen those muscles.

It could also be tightening of said muscles and you need to do some stretching pre-ride and, dare i say it, rollering of muscles post ride.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • amoran
    amoran Posts: 13
    i dont know if its relevant but the pain seems to be coming from like front / inside of my knee
  • elbowloh
    amoran said:

i dont know if its relevant but the pain seems to be coming from like front / inside of my knee

I know what you mean actually, because i had that for a few months, but then it just went (not that i'm saying you should just ignore it).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • amoran
    edited January 2021
    thanks for the advice from your previous reply ,i will try some strengthening exercises and general fitness stuff and hope that helps some unless anyone else has any other suggestions
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Is your saddle the right height? no weirdness like different sized crank arms? Preexisting conditions? Does it happen on both knees? Does it gappen without the compression things?

Go and see a sports physio dude so he/she can have a look at your knee: don't ignore it as it can be a precursor to Some BadShit (TM) - MF ignored the fact that he couldn't bend his leg and put it down to a big training week then his ACL exploded everywhere.

Also get someone to look at how you are sitting on the bike for knee extension.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • amoran
    It's just the one leg , nothing abnormal with my bike , it's just an off the shelf 27.5 FS mountain bike. Feel bad going to a healthcare professional with the current climate and considering I'm not really a professional 😂 I've always felt that sport physios are for pros not just the average Joe that goes riding a couple times a week for fitness 😂
  • elbowloh
    MFs not lying. This is the image from when his ACL went

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I used to get the same thing when I got to about 16 miles out. If I hadn't planned my ride to finish before then I would be hobbling for days. Mine was in both knees. I was looking at bike shoes in an actual shop and I came across a piece of kit made by Specialized but provided by the shop to check your instep. I tried it and bought some Specialized BG Geometry instep supports. I still use them but the revelation was the "wedges" inside the box. The wedges look like the end of a footprint and taper from very thin indeed to 1.5mm. To get 3mm of lift, you just use two wedges. The wedges are tapered either to lift the big toe end of the ball or the little toe end.

The wedges were not referred to on the cover of the box, but they had full instructions inside. Apparently few people in the UK have legs that are perfectly aligned and thus can cause an imbalance in the knee that leads to premature wear of the joint in certain places. To test for imbalance do this:

Shoes and socks off, stand on one leg and do a deep knee bend. Observe where the knee goes. If it tracks in a straight line along the length of your foot, then congratulations, you are aligned. Try both legs.
    Your knee will track to the left or the right, your legs may be different or the same. Try one or more wedges under the ball of your foot and do the knee bend again. Keep applying wedges until the knee tracks straight.

I stapled the wedges to the insole and put it in to my cycling shoes. A touch of varnish on the staple will stop any rust.

With the wedges, I no longer had knee pain at 16 miles or any other distance I have managed to do on my mtb. I did 83 miles in two days without a twinge. Not a lot by some standards, but it was for me.

You can still get the wedges, look under the Specialized BG Geometry range of products. Other people may sell a similar product.

Or go see a podiatrist ( a foot doctor).
  • amoran

I used to get the same thing when I got to about 16 miles out. If I hadn't planned my ride to finish before then I would be hobbling for days. Mine was in both knees. I was looking at bike shoes in an actual shop and I came across a piece of kit made by Specialized but provided by the shop to check your instep. I tried it and bought some Specialized BG Geometry instep supports. I still use them but the revelation was the "wedges" inside the box. The wedges look like the end of a footprint and taper from very thin indeed to 1.5mm. To get 3mm of lift, you just use two wedges. The wedges are tapered either to lift the big toe end of the ball or the little toe end.

The wedges were not referred to on the cover of the box, but they had full instructions inside. Apparently few people in the UK have legs that are perfectly aligned and thus can cause an imbalance in the knee that leads to premature wear of the joint in certain places. To test for imbalance do this:

Shoes and socks off, stand on one leg and do a deep knee bend. Observe where the knee goes. If it tracks in a straight line along the length of your foot, then congratulations, you are aligned. Try both legs.
    Your knee will track to the left or the right, your legs may be different or the same. Try one or more wedges under the ball of your foot and do the knee bend again. Keep applying wedges until the knee tracks straight.

I stapled the wedges to the insole and put it in to my cycling shoes. A touch of varnish on the staple will stop any rust.

With the wedges, I no longer had knee pain at 16 miles or any other distance I have managed to do on my mtb. I did 83 miles in two days without a twinge. Not a lot by some standards, but it was for me.

You can still get the wedges, look under the Specialized BG Geometry range of products. Other people may sell a similar product.

Or go see a podiatrist ( a foot doctor).

Thank you for this , this might just do the trick , I did the check and my right knee ( no pain ) tracks pretty straight but my left tracks left by quite a bit

Are these the wedges you're on about https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialized_body_geometry_internal_wedges_2pk-ID_67701

Thanks
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Yes those are the ones. I got four in the box of insoles I got. Good job, because I needed two for each foot.

I hope they work for you, please follow up this thread by letting us know, then others can read it and benefit.
  • amoran
    Will do , I have ordered 2 and they should be coming this week , really hoping they work

Thanks
  • amoran
    Bit of an update , I managed to speak with a doctor and they believe it's a ligament injury so I'm waiting on the physio to call me , should be on monday
  • toni.lessard
    toni.lessard Posts: 4
    edited December 2022
    Inside knee pain can be caused by a variety of factors, including muscle imbalances, overuse injuries, and underlying medical conditions. It's important to identify the cause of the pain in order to treat it properly and prevent future injuries.
    One common cause of inside knee pain is a muscle imbalance, particularly between the quadriceps and the hamstrings. When the quadriceps are stronger than the hamstrings, it can lead to excessive strain on the knee joint, resulting in pain. Strengthening the hamstrings and stretching the quadriceps can help correct this imbalance and alleviate pain.
    If you're experiencing inside knee pain, it's important to see a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. They may recommend rest, ice, physical therapy, and/or medications to help alleviate the pain and promote healing.
    In addition to addressing muscle imbalances and following a treatment plan prescribed by a healthcare professional, incorporating joint-supporting supplements into your routine may also help alleviate inside knee pain. The https://shopwellabs.com/collections/joint-health collection offers a variety of supplements that may help support healthy joint function and reduce inflammation. Combined with a well-rounded treatment plan, these supplements can help you find relief from inside knee pain and improve your overall joint health.