Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• Is it because the protagonists are black?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Is it because the protagonists are black?

On that subject, the Sky warning that usually says something about sex and violence said something along the lines of 'contains old fashioned language and attitudes that may cause offence today' which I felt was quite a good way of phrasing it
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

No. Just stupidity with a hint of alcohol.
    Could just as easily have been Dan Aykroyd/John Candy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    pblakeney said:

No. Just stupidity with a hint of alcohol.
    Could just as easily have been Dan Aykroyd/John Candy.
    Because they're both Canadian!? What are trying to say? ( ;) )
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2020
    I'm trying to say that I was focussing on places, not people and made a mistake.
    Some like to make mountains out of molehills.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    I think they're just teasing
  • pblakeney said:

I'm trying to say that I was focussing on places, not people and made a mistake.
    Some like to make mountains out of molehills.

Our Korean neighbours moved out and another Korean family moved in... my missus did not notice.

I still “tease” her about it, usually by pretending she can not tell any Denzil Washington and Morgan Freeman apart. I am sure she will be glad that I have expanded my repertoire after ten long years.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My wife is white and can't tell white people apart. When we watch films with 2 male protagonists with the same hair colour she often thinks it's the same person.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    elbowloh said:

My wife is white and can't tell white people apart. When we watch films with 2 male protagonists with the same hair colour she often thinks it's the same person.

Today's new word: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
  • Pross
    That's nothing, we went on holiday to a B&B in Cornwall a few years ago with a black friend and her son who had been before. It was booked in her name but we arrived first. It was obvious that the owner thought my (blonde, white) wife was our friend.

Easily done as you can't expect a B&B owner to remember all their past customers. However, when our friend arrived the owner realised her mistake and said "I thought you looked different". Our friend couldn't keep a straight face.
  • I was teasing
  • pblakeney

I was teasing

Trouble with a touchy subject is that I need these - 😉 - to be able to tell these days. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Learned today that there is a tram system in South London. Also how hilly it is in places around there (not real hills obviously but some short, steep ones).
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    Pross said:

Learned today that there is a tram system in South London. Also how hilly it is in places around there (not real hills obviously but some short, steep ones).

It's been around for about 20 years at least! Some people died on it a few years back when it went too fast on a bend and derailed...was national headline news....

Sydenham/Crystal Palace is a good little hill.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

It's been around for about 20 years at least! Some people died on it a few years back when it went too fast on a bend and derailed...was national headline news....

Driver dozed off or something didn't they?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    pangolin said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

I think there was speculation that he blacked out?. I think there are now speed limiters on the bend.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Never been to the Croydon area before.

Yes, that was the hill I drove down I think (Palace on my left and a cemetery at the bottom). Annerley Road?
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Yes, that was the hill I drove down I think (Palace on my left and a cemetery at the bottom). Annerley Road?
    The tram goes right over to Wimbledon as well.

Yeah Annerly Road, but there are a load of different roads up to the top of the hill. At the top of Annerly road is Cadence cycling which is a good cafe stop for cyclists in the area.

You just missed out seeing the dinosaurs in crystal palace park.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

That takes me back. Climb over Anerley Hill was on my daily commute before escaped the smoke half my life ago.
  • Pross said:

If you get up high in the middle you can clearly see London is in a very wide valley, with you hills of Crystal Palace being the southern edge.

As per your other post saarff London is less densely populated than north
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

The tram goes right over to Wimbledon as well.

Yeah Annerly Road, but there are a load of different roads up to the top of the hill. At the top of Annerly road is Cadence cycling which is a good cafe stop for cyclists in the area.

You just missed out seeing the dinosaurs in crystal palace park.
    They’re not at their best at the moment as some scrotes vandalised them last year but well worth a visit. There's a new footbridge based on a prehistoric fish skeleton as well.

https://cpdinosaurs.org/bridge/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross

Pross said:

If you get up high in the middle you can clearly see London is in a very wide valley, with you hills of Crystal Palace being the southern edge.

I briefly caught the cracking view of the city from Richmond Park too and remember a spectacular view from Greenwich Park when we went up for the Olympics and walked the 3 day event cross country course.

I assume the northern equivalent would be up around Hampstead Heath? I've only ever been up there a few times when I had to go to the Royal Free and as usual in London most of my journey was subterranean. I vaguely recall a site visit to Park Royal where I had an elevated view of the city too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    The view from Archway viaduct is pretty good.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Lucky you...

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • That technically it's legal to be buried up a tree.

This is due to a mistranslation centuries ago, from latin to English, of the word "under". It's never been corrected.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

I think there was speculation that he blacked out?. I think there are now speed limiters on the bend.

Sandilands. As a fellow Engineer, Pross should read the RAIB report on that one.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5de79643e5274a06dee23a10/R182017_201022_Sandilands_v2.2.pdf
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    edited January 2021
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I briefly caught the cracking view of the city from Richmond Park too and remember a spectacular view from Greenwich Park when we went up for the Olympics and walked the 3 day event cross country course.

I assume the northern equivalent would be up around Hampstead Heath? I've only ever been up there a few times when I had to go to the Royal Free and as usual in London most of my journey was subterranean. I vaguely recall a site visit to Park Royal where I had an elevated view of the city too.

Parliament Hill on the heath would be the equivalent, yeh. Although the highest point (in London, actually) is at Whitestone Pond.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

The view from Ally Pally is awesome
  • Ben6899

Pross said:

Pross said:

The view from Ally Pally is awesome

I like to ride up there in Summer, for a pre-breakfast view of the city. Lovely stuff.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Asos the fast fashion company was originally called "as seen on screen".