A Couple Of Noob Di2 Questions

ibr17xvii
ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
I have a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 2019 model that I'm currently buying up all the bits to convert to Di2 ready for the summer (hopefully). Can someone help me with the following though?

1. Is this all I will need to mount the battery in the D Fuse seatpost? There doesn't seem much to work with! How is it done?

https://pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-di2-internal-battery-holder.html#a150000049

2. How do I know what grommets I will need for the frame as there seems to be 2 different types? I've had a look at where my cables enter the frame currently but I'm none the wiser if I'm honest.

Comments

• W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I've just done this to a 2019 TCR Advanced Ultegra that I had from new.

Giant very helpfully supply all the grommets and the battery mount thingy to convert to Di2 in a plastic bag. I had no idea what they were for until I started the conversion and began looking on the net for what I would need.

I'm pretty sure that our frames are the same with the difference being a metal steerer in my fork but I'm not certain.

So, if you had it from new, try to find the bag :)

If not, or you mislaid it, the Battery wedge that I had was the middle one of the three in your link and yes, that's all you need to secure the battery.

You need a grommet for the new entry point for the cockpit di2 cable on the underside of the top tube which should currently have a blanking grommet.

You need the same shaped and sized grommet for the new entry point of the front derailleur cable on the right of the seat tube which will also be covered with a blanking grommet.

You will need a blanking plastic cover for the front of the headtube where the mechanical cables currently enter the frame.

You will need a rubber grommet for the exit of the di2 cable by the rear derailleur.

The only blanking grommet that wasn't supplied by Giant in the lucky bag was for the original exit point for the front derailleur.

I have skillfully used electric tape for that one.

Oh, and very helpfully, I didn't need to remove the bottom bracket.

Good luck.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Google Di2 grommets and you’ll find a variety available, none very expensive.
  • W12_Lad

Fantastic information. Well done.
    And you also included pricing information as an extra.
    Very helpful and pertinent for the Op.
  • ibr17xvii
    edited January 2021
    w12_lad said:

I've just done this to a 2019 TCR Advanced Ultegra that I had from new.

Giant very helpfully supply all the grommets and the battery mount thingy to convert to Di2 in a plastic bag. I had no idea what they were for until I started the conversion and began looking on the net for what I would need.

I'm pretty sure that our frames are the same with the difference being a metal steerer in my fork but I'm not certain.

So, if you had it from new, try to find the bag :)

If not, or you mislaid it, the Battery wedge that I had was the middle one of the three in your link and yes, that's all you need to secure the battery.

You need a grommet for the new entry point for the cockpit di2 cable on the underside of the top tube which should currently have a blanking grommet.

You need the same shaped and sized grommet for the new entry point of the front derailleur cable on the right of the seat tube which will also be covered with a blanking grommet.

You will need a blanking plastic cover for the front of the headtube where the mechanical cables currently enter the frame.

You will need a rubber grommet for the exit of the di2 cable by the rear derailleur.

The only blanking grommet that wasn't supplied by Giant in the lucky bag was for the original exit point for the front derailleur.

I have skillfully used electric tape for that one.

Oh, and very helpfully, I didn't need to remove the bottom bracket.

Good luck.

That's really helpful mate thanks very much.

I got the bike from new so I've got all the documentation but didn't think of looking in there. I have it all in a bag somewhere, just need to find it now!

I've just bought the seatpost mount so knowing my luck there will already one in there. No matter, they are only a tenner so I'll keep it for spare.

The conversion is far beyond my limited capabilities so I'll take it to a mechanic to get it all fitted. He will probably have some grommets lying around if I can't get them but I wanted to get as much in place as I can to save him messing around. Hopefully I'm as lucky as you & already have them.

Thanks again.

w12_lad said:

Fantastic information. Well done.
    And you also included pricing information as an extra.
    Very helpful and pertinent for the Op.

:#:#:#

• ibr17xvii
    Just to update I've dug out the original bag of stuff I got with the bike & there does appear to be some grommets in there & also the seatpost mount for the battery so looks like I have 2 of those but no matter.

Will probably get some extra grommets as spares as they are cheap as chips but good to know I've at least got the basics.

@w12_lad you're a legend, cheers for that. Would never have thought to look there without a prompt.
  • W12_Lad
    It's a pleasure mate.

It's actually nice for me to be confident in giving someone good advice.

This site is too full of arrogant p**cks like the poster above which makes it difficult to put your head above the parapet to give someone a helping hand.

It's a straightforward conversion and you'll love it.
  • ibr17xvii
    OK so I have another couple of questions:

1) Chain catcher or not with Di2? I've dropped the chain a few times on mechanical (haven't we all.....) but it's mainly happened by my own user error when I've gone from big to small under too much load. Not had Di2 before but I've read it's able to cope much better with changes under load so is a chain catcher necessary or not?

2) The Bluetooth module (EW-WU111) is getting close to £100 by the time you add the £20 for an additional cable, is it worth it? As a Wahoo Bolt owner it seems a wee bit of a gimmick & doesn't seem to offer much that's useful if that makes sense. Firmware updates are easier but after that changing headunit pages from the hidden buttons & gearing information on screen seems about all it has to offer. Garmin seems to be able to do much more.