Free School Meals £30 Food Box

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
edited January 2021 in The cake stop
Apparently this what is being provided in place of the £30 voucher

Someone somewhere making a decent margin from poverty and at the tax payers expense

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The Tories, eh. The party of the people. Bet people are glad they voted for them now, eh.

#toryscum
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,718
    Just give a bit of context to TWH's post.
    The bit on the right is what is being supplied for £30. Easy money.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,609
    Not all bad news. The fuss seems to have resulted in a positive outcome.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Chartwells (the catering company responsible) have also now responded

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Think I read that the company is already on the approved list for school meals though - sounds like someone needed to do some due diligence. Then get them off the approved list pronto.

On the other hand, getting money from Spaffer is pretty easy I’d imagine. Shocking value but a party donor? Have a bung. Garden bridge or water cannon? Anyone?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

The Tories, eh. The party of the people. Bet people are glad they voted for them now, eh.

#toryscum

Not necessarily. Two types I reckon - first time Tory voters in poor parts of the country may be wondering what they’ve done but there’s going to be a decent proportion who really couldn’t care less. After all, nobody is so poor that they can’t buy food; they waste their money on ciggies/booze/drugs/sky rather than the important stuff.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

#toryscum

Not necessarily. Two types I reckon - first time Tory voters in poor parts of the country may be wondering what they’ve done but there’s going to be a decent proportion who really couldn’t care less. After all, nobody is so poor that they can’t buy food; they waste their money on ciggies/booze/drugs/sky rather than the important stuff.
    #Notsureifjokingornot
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    @elbowloh oh blimey, no that’s most definitely not what I think but I know it’s what some tories believe
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    elbowloh said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

#toryscum

#Notsureifjokingornot
    #jawdiddropabit,tbh

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    johngti said:

@elbowloh oh blimey, no that’s most definitely not what I think but I know it’s what some tories believe

Ha, apologies.

Yes. I've seen genuine comments like that in the past and im sure it's been suggested by some Tory MPs in the not too distant past aswell.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    Phew!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,451
    elbowloh said:

johngti said:

Ha, apologies.

Yes. I've seen genuine comments like that in the past and im sure it's been suggested by some Tory MPs in the not too distant past aswell.
    I think a few of them went beyond suggestion when debating it after the pressure from Rashford & Co.
  • pangolin
    Follow any of those Twitter links above and the replies are full of that sentiment
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Well there’s frequently an element of cigarette smoking drug abusing truth in some of it.
  • pangolin
    I agree we don't do enough to help those with addictions David.

I'd have thought the more obvious concern to a conservative would be the incredibly poor value for money we are all getting for our taxes here.

£10.50 for the picture at the top. £3 or so wholesale? Lot of padding going on there.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    johngti said:

Sarcasm font is needed at times or people will confuse you with the likes of tosser37
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

johngti said:

Sarcasm font is needed at times or people will confuse you with the likes of tosser37
    Awww is ickle veronesse calling people names. Winning the argument there boy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,451

johngti said:

Oops you've upset the snowflake and got flagged. He's the ultimate example of can dish it out but not take it.
  • elbowloh
    david37 said:

Well there’s frequently an element of cigarette smoking drug abusing truth in some of it.

Well in that case, there needs to be intervention, not just let the kids starve
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti

johngti said:

Hope not. You have to go some to lazily repeat baseless accusations against those that can’t defend themselves. I suspect some people have such low self esteem they’re experts at projecting onto others.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,670
    Def is the Botster back innit.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Pross said:

johngti said:

Oops you've upset the snowflake and got flagged. He's the ultimate example of can dish it out but not take it.
    Maybe I should have called him charming, but everyone knows the truth so why bother.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    The problem with this school meal thing is where does it end. Easy to introduce almost impossible to get rid of as a politician. Looking forward to getting my vouchers when it gets up the wage scales a bit for my two at the next labour government election victory😀.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,670
    Like the pensioner Christmas bonus £10, introduced by Heath in 1972 and the £ has never changed since in almost 50 years? How dare you contemplate taking away that significant chrissie pressie?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,609
    john80 said:

The problem with this school meal thing is where does it end.

When you no longer qualify for free school meals, obviously.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    When will we stop feeding these children?!?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,718
    I'm just glad that people are thinking about the children.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

The problem with this school meal thing is where does it end.

When you no longer qualify for free school meals, obviously.
    Wonder when people will stop qualifying for child benefit. Is it a good use of tax payer money to give £140 per month to households that are earning just under 100k per year. Don't get me wrong this pays for my kids boats and bikes.

The point is that the government could raise benefits and raise the tax threshold by an equal amount to free school meals to phase this out and put the responsibility back on parents. It would also remove the stigma of free school meals. People would still moan about the change and not see that they have any responsibility for their kids.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,537
    John with the least surprising non-empathetic take there.

I would suggest if you want to reduce the reliance on benefits long term you support policies that reduce levels of inequality, as the very poor in the U.K. really have extremely little.

• john80

John with the least surprising non-empathetic take there.

I would suggest if you want to reduce the reliance on benefits long term you support policies that reduce levels of inequality, as the very poor in the U.K. really have extremely little.

There is little point in empathy alone. Empathy never fed anyone. I would suggest that the right and left will only tackle the problem if they join up and put in place a long term plan. During the Labour years from 1997 we increased benefits to people out of work and those on low pay with probably one of the largest increases in percentage of the population on some form of benefits in the form of working tax credits. This mainly went to corporations from what I have seen who were able to keep wages low and not think about productivity. The main backlash on these policies is from the actual people that they were supposed to help such as the working poor. We have then had over 10 years of austerity with a tilt to less state aid and higher tax thresholds to try to make up the difference and now the working poor appear to be voting Tory in the North of England. If that does not worry the think of the poor brigade as to how they should propose policy going forwards then I don't know what will.

The reality is unless the UK sorts out the more important range of issues from low productivity and low wages associated with this to how people are housed and the general well being of the population then this £30 voucher scheme is yet another sticking plaster that makes some feel good and solves an immediate problem created by decades of policy. Solve the big issues and the rest will get better. Do you think those parents feel good about getting this handout and handing over these vouchers at the tills or getting this box of cr@p? I would not and would go as far to say it would start to affect my self esteem and life choices as a fairly robust and independent person.