Eu crumbling on key issue

It seems germany has bagged more vaccine from the eu negotiated pot than its entitled to.and the other states arent happy.

Theyre also not happy that so much of the spend is on vaccines that arent available yet. It seems that Boris and co have played a blinder.

Meanwhile in other news the eu is taking the sandwiches from drivers. Meat and fruit products which originated in the eu anyway.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    On a right rant this week.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    If only some of it was fact-based.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157
    I mentioned this point in the Coronavirus thread recently:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13110367/the-big-coronavirus-thread/p838
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

If only some of it was fact-based.

It is dear boy. But if you chose to put your fingers in your ears and say lalalalalalalalalalalalala thats your choice
  • david37
    Stevo_666 said:

I mentioned this point in the Coronavirus thread recently:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13110367/the-big-coronavirus-thread/p838

Ah sorry old chap, i missed it
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Is this i-spy the botster alter ego? May have toned down the personal insult terminology a bit, for now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    I wouldn't underestimate the impact of a Europe-wide governance failure with respect to coronavirus.

Some of this will inevitably be seized on by opponents of the EU. I think the EU itself has made some fairly significant mistakes, though in the context of the wider challenges of corona I think they had a minor impact.

There is a lot of ugly sentiment in Italy; they feel they were hung out to dry by the EU, and the North/South funding/prudence divide got very pronounced last year.

Then again, they managed to get EU SURE bonds out, which is a significant step with respect to unity.

Then there is the problem of Poland and Hungary, which no-one seems to be willing to tackle whilst they are knee deep in a (badly handled) pandemic.

There is also the destabilising effect of Brexit, and the nations adjusting to the new power dynamic.

So it's not plain sailing for the EU, though, as per usual, it is the domestic failures of EU states being blamed on the EU that is the predominant threat.
  • david37
    orraloon said:

Is this i-spy the botster alter ego? May have toned down the personal insult terminology a bit, for now.

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

No. Were you pleased to have got or seen him banned?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    david37 said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

No. Were you pleased to have got or seen him banned?
    So good you named it thrice. 😊
    Not me that got the foul fingered Wayne Kerr banned.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I thought this was about the biscuit embargo being lifted.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    ThE eU is CrUMbling. wE GoT ouT Just IN tIMe.
  • Ben6899 said:

I thought this was about the biscuit embargo being lifted.

I thought this was about dealing with the EU apple harvest surplus.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • "EU not perfect shock"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    So what you're saying is that EU member states can operate autonomously when it suits them and aren't controlled by central legislation as we were told by those who encouraged us to leave? Consider me shocked.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Pross said:

So what you're saying is that EU member states can operate autonomously when it suits them and aren't controlled by central legislation as we were told by those who encouraged us to leave? Consider me shocked.

That's not actually the case here. EU members states could have acted independently, but all of them chose to join the vaccine programme which legally stopped them acting independently. Germany and Cyprus have now acted independently despite the legal agreement in place*, because the EU's vaccine programme hasn't been that good.

Why hasn't the EU's vaccine programme been very good? The EU prioritised price and conditions over speed. In addition, they also had to manage internal politics where some member states wanted their vaccine to be bought.

*Some people might bang on about breaking international law, but apparently EU law is more flexible and breaking it is not so bad.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think there are 2 issues here with Germany. As I understand it, i could be wrong:

1) they bought up excess stock of vaccines that were offered to other countries, but they declined them.

2) before the EU got together to agree their overall plan, Germany had already signed up deals with 2 Germany-based pharmaceutical companies to develop vaccines. as part of that deal, they agreed to buy xxx amount of doses. I imagine they had to enter such an agreement in order for the drug company to mitigate the risk over development costs.

On the face of it, they didn't do much wrong?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You're letting facts spoil a good thread, @elbowloh
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • david37
    Ben6899 said:

no hes not, see above his post.
  • david37 said:

Ben6899 said:

no hes not, see above his post.
    quite correct, he is not spoiling a "good" thread at all.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Plus, i don't think the post above mine disproves anything i said?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk