Cannondale CAAD8 replace stolen parts

Hi all,

I am trying to purchase replacement parts after my handlebars were stolen and brake cables snapped on my 58cm CAAD 8. Is anyone able to list what I will need to buy and from where as I don't want to start to try to rebuild and find I am missing a key element? Any good brand/part recommendations would be appreciated.

I think that I will need a new stem, handlebars (not 100% what size but guess 110mm stem and 31.7mm, 44cm wide handlebars?), brake cables, handlebar tape, 105 brakes/shifters. I have some of the spacers that the stem sits on but not sure how many I am supposed to have.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Cables and tape buy new from LBS or Merlin or Wiggle or Planet X, whats your budget on the other bits? Cheap as or looking for decent stuff at a decent price?

Re cables - the stuff from the LBS out of the big box on the shelf.

Re tape - anything around a tenner - its all basically the same.

What speed shifters?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks re. cables and tape. I'm happy to spend money on decent kit at a decent price. Bike was about £1000 new so I don't need to be putting top end kit on but want to make sure its good quality.
    11 speed shifter
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

I am trying to purchase replacement parts after my handlebars were stolen and brake cables snapped on my 58cm CAAD 8. Is anyone able to list what I will need to buy and from where as I don't want to start to try to rebuild and find I am missing a key element? Any good brand/part recommendations would be appreciated.

I think that I will need a new stem, handlebars (not 100% what size but guess 110mm stem and 31.7mm, 44cm wide handlebars?), brake cables, handlebar tape, 105 brakes/shifters. I have some of the spacers that the stem sits on but not sure how many I am supposed to have.

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

I think you've covered everything in your list.
    Unless you want an exact match for what was there before, handlebar width/diameter doesn't matter as long at it works with whatever stem you buy.
    The steerer should be a standard 1 1/8" - the length, angle and bar diameter can be whatever you want it to be.

According to Sigma Sports, the original stem was 31.8mm with 6 degree rise (no length specified). If you want exact specs you could try emailing Canondale, they got back to me quite quickly when I needed some info on my bike - although the answer was "we don't know what freehub we put on our own brand wheels or how to replace it" :/
  • joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Hi Josh, I used to have a CAAD 8 , a CAAD 10 and and am now the owner of a 2nd model SuperSix. I bought it off someone who had fitted another set of handlebars. He gave me the original handlebars and you are welcome to them free if you cover postage which I reckon would only be around £4. I’m out in the garage later so will measure up for you. Hope this might help get your bike back on the road - especially as it’s a Cannondale!. Are you running 10 speed Shimano by the way as a friend was having a clear out of shifters recently.
    Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Hi Josh, I used to have a CAAD 8 , a CAAD 10 and and am now the owner of a 2nd model SuperSix. I bought it off someone who had fitted another set of handlebars. He gave me the original handlebars and you are welcome to them free if you cover postage which I reckon would only be around £4. I’m out in the garage later so will measure up for you. Hope this might help get your bike back on the road - especially as it’s a Cannondale!. Are you running 10 speed Shimano by the way as a friend was having a clear out of shifters recently.
    Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni
    that's really nice - top work Molteni!

#sundaynicestuff
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    This is 👏👍🤜🤛
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

joshCAAD said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni
    Hi again Josh. Been out to the garage to measure ( and collect a cold Peroni too as still have some left out there from Christmas!)
    They’re 44cm standard Cannondale alloy handlebars.
    BW
    Molteni
  • I’ve just seen in an earlier thread of yours that you’re running 11 speed so the shifters I had in mind won’t be of any use unfortunately.
  • Aside from the kind offer you've received, might this be an opportunity to consider what the right size bars are for you? 44cm bars are huge; iirc Chris Hoy uses 36s! You might not want to go that narrow but worth considering something narrower I would have thought...
  • Hi Josh, I used to have a CAAD 8 , a CAAD 10 and and am now the owner of a 2nd model SuperSix. I bought it off someone who had fitted another set of handlebars. He gave me the original handlebars and you are welcome to them free if you cover postage which I reckon would only be around £4. I’m out in the garage later so will measure up for you. Hope this might help get your bike back on the road - especially as it’s a Cannondale!. Are you running 10 speed Shimano by the way as a friend was having a clear out of shifters recently.
    Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni

Hi Molteni,
    That is incredibly kind and I would really like to take you up on your offer. Is there a private message function where I can sort this out directly?

Also, thanks to everyone who has helped me with getting my bike back on the road shortly.

Josh
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Reading through this, you might also need a new Cannondale top cap with compression plug to fit the stem onto the steerer tubes - did they nick this too? Something like this (not sure which component on your CAAD 8 tho’)

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannondale-si-compression-plug-with-top-cap-p344550/s645561?cid=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7rit2KeU7gIVC4BQBh1m_Q5CEAQYByABEgKOE_D_BwE

Hope you get your bike back on the road quickly!
  • joshCAAD said:

Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni

Hi Molteni,
    That is incredibly kind and I would really like to take you up on your offer. Is there a private message function where I can sort this out directly?

Also, thanks to everyone who has helped me with getting my bike back on the road shortly.

Josh
    joshCAAD said:

Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni

Hi Molteni,

Josh
    joshCAAD said:

Let me know if any use.
    BW
    Molteni

Hi Molteni,

Josh

Hi Josh,
    I’ve sent you a PM with my mobile no on it so we can sort out.
    Best wishes for now
    Molteni