The benefits of Brexit

DickWax
DickWax Posts: 5
edited January 2021 in Road general
I was hoping that Canyon would have been back supplying bikes to the UK but it seems they are still working out how to deal with the paperwork and may be delayed for a couple more days.

While I was on their website I pressed the handy button at the bottom of the page to select a different county, to see if it changed the stock situation (it didn't), but it did allow me to compare prices. Before Christmas, Canyon put up their prices in case of a 'No Deal' Brexit and when you compare the price in euros, one of their top end bikes will cost 7500EUR in Germany/France/etc where we would be paying the equivalent 9000EUR. Even if you look further down the list at a more modest price point, you'll pay 1700EUR on the mainland and 2100EUR here.

I'm sure if Canyon increased their prices across the globe by up to 20% for everyone, it wouldn't be great, but when the price increase is just for us in the UK, it doesn't feel quite right.

Hopefully they will bring prices back in line...

Comments

• To comment on the title... there is no benefit to Brexit, just like there was no benefit in electing Trump...

Anyone with a few neurons switched on, knew that back in 2016... it happened anyway and we will have to live with the drawbacks...

Worse things happened in the meantime...

As for Canyon, I am sure the price point will be eventually dictated by offer-demand... if people are happy to spend 9 grand for a bike that is worth 7.5, then they will keep selling at 9 grand, otherwise they will lower the price. I don't think price point will be affected by Brexit in the long run... but availability and delivery times might
    left the forum March 2023
  • I agree, if there’s demand, they’ll keep the price high.

The percentage increase on the lower priced bikes is higher but it’s at that level where the volume is. Oh well, the price of popular politics...
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I presume the additional cost is the VAT? And no doubt an admin surcharge.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • I think VAT is included and is very similar in Germany (19%) as the U.K. (20%)
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Should be only a slight additional cost as the price should be -19% German VAT on export and + 20% UK VAT on import. However I'm sure as you say there'll be an extra admin (Brexit) fee!
  • The one I looked at on there was 3399EUR to Ireland, or 3699GBP to UK. Winning.
  • The one I looked at on there was 3399EUR to Ireland, or 3699GBP to UK. Winning.

4100EUR (equivalent) for the U.K.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    DickWax said:

The one I looked at on there was 3399EUR to Ireland, or 3699GBP to UK. Winning.

Tis but a small price to pay for a blue passport.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Can get a British bike for half that

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154248774644
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Isn't this just the rules of origin issue that was mentioned on the Brexit thread?

Canyons are just designed and assembled in Europe and so attract 14% tariffs.

Basically, we are now importing them twice.
  • Isn't this just the rules of origin issue that was mentioned on the Brexit thread?

Canyons are just designed and assembled in Europe and so attract 14% tariffs.

Basically, we are now importing them twice.

I don’t remember them writing that on the side of a bus!
  • Any order fulfilled from outside the U.K. now has a 20% VAT charge added, including any EBay items ( as I have personally discovered). Even if the seller has a U.K. address, it’s where the item is sent from that is important.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    pblakeney said:

DickWax said:

The one I looked at on there was 3399EUR to Ireland, or 3699GBP to UK. Winning.

Tis but a small price to pay for a blue passport.
    And sovereignty, don't forget sovereignty!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    The only benefit I can see is that ‘orrible little cunt Farage isn’t on the news every other day

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Might take up smuggling Canyons.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono