Winter road gloves for freezing temps.

combatclaret
combatclaret Posts: 47
edited January 2021 in Road general
Looking for a new pair of winter gloves for 2hr+ rides in temperatures like this weekend when its nearly 0 degree. Those "Best winter cycling glove lists" are a bit too broad on their definition of cold weather. Need guaranteed warmth below 5c
Don't need hardcore waterproofing, might get caught out but something for very cold dry days or evening rides.

Really wish Galibier had their Barrier gloves in stock for my size, great reviews and low price.
Considering Gore C5 Thermo.
Ideally looking for something sub £50, loath to spend £90 on a pair of gloves, managed to get my Castelli Perfetto Jacket for that price!

Tell me what keeps your digits warm.

Comments

• FYI currently using.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NW8VALA
    TBF these have been amazing for the price, just not cutting it in the very low temps.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    get some generic ski gloves for very cold weather. cheap as chips and do the job perfectly.
  • Everybody is different in the way they get/feel cold, it depends on blood flow amongst other things. So for me to say this particular pair of gloves is good at -5°C would be wrong, please be aware of this, that’s all I’m saying.

I usually look at ski gloves for winter cycling. Difficult right now with the shops being closed as looking at a picture is no substitute for trying them on
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    edited January 2021
    I’ve a couple of pairs of GripGrab winter gloves, the Optimus winter gloves in 5 finger version, and for even colder, the Nordic Lobster version. Both recommended.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    For the coldest temps, lobsters really are the way to go.

For anything above freezing, the Galibiers are pretty decent if you can hang on for them. Definitely size up to allow space for a thin liner if needed. The sizing isn't massively generous to begin with.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I feel the cold really badly in my fingers and had a miserable experience just before Christmas. So I treated myself to some Sportful Fiandre gloves. £80worth, but worth every penny.

When it's really cold, I add silk liners.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Skin to skin contact between your fingers is key to keeping your fingers warm, lobster gloves, or full on ski mitts work well, although you do have to be more careful with full mitts and mechanical brifters, than with e-shifts. I’ve used ski mitts on my Shimano mechanical briftered road bikes, and my 29’er for years, and in temperatures down to -6 or -7 degrees, for 2 or 3 hour rides, in reasonable comfort. It takes a bit more practice on the road bikes, than the Hybrid, but they work well, once you’re used to them. I actually bought a pair of mitts with built in battery powered heaters a couple of years back, but I found that the heaters actually weren’t strictly necessary.
  • david37 said:

get some generic ski gloves for very cold weather. cheap as chips and do the job perfectly.

This is the truth. I got some from Decathlon that only come out when it gets proper cold, and they were about £20.

Although remember that if you get cold, the glove doesn't exist that will keep your fingers warm. You need to keep the rest of you warm to keep your fingers from getting cold.
  • If it’s super cold, and you can, warm up on an indoor turbo trainer, or whatever you have. Get your body / blood temperature up before you start a ride, and it’s far more comfortable. If you start cold, and ride in the cold, you’ll never ‘catch up’ . If you get good and warm before you set off, it’s far easier to maintain the warmth.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Two very key posts here. If your body's warm, you're halfway to cracking the puzzle. So warm-up if you can, keep your core warm and wear something sensible on your canister.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I'll echo the above points - make sure your core and arms are warm and protected from the windchill first (the Galibier mistral pro jacket is a cracking piece of kit for this, if you're putting an order in there)

I've been using a pair of Chiba rain pro gloves this winter and have been more than happy with them. I picked them up for £15 (although they seem to be closer to £25 atm) and they coped well with my commute at -2 this morning without resorting to a glove liner. The waterproofing is actually pretty decent and will cope with persistent drizzle / light rain or short, heavier showers. They're also not overly bulky. Time will tell how well they last over multiple seasons.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

If it’s super cold, and you can, warm up on an indoor turbo trainer, or whatever you have. Get your body / blood temperature up before you start a ride, and it’s far more comfortable. If you start cold, and ride in the cold, you’ll never ‘catch up’ . If you get good and warm before you set off, it’s far easier to maintain the warmth.

I fairly sure when you were milechumpster you claimed to never use a turbo trainer. Although you did talk of sitting up a turbo training coaching business.
  • Best winter gloves I've bought aren't my expensive ones but the ones I bought from Aldi. I've tried ski gloves but they are a bit bulky. The chemical hand warmer things are great
  • Thank to all for the great replies.
    I'm very happy with every other part of my winter set up, lots of layers, merino, windproof etc.
    I think the hardest part will not be getting excellent suggestions but finding them in stock anywhere.
  • Definitely try a pair of silk liners to start. Makes a huge difference to me.

One thing a Scottish poster on here used to say, and I totally agree - is layers. One thick piece of material is far worse than lots of thin, technical fabrics.

I have some ancient campag gloves and my hands have never been cold wearing them. You really feel like they are 3-4 layers of material with some insulation in there too. Bloody comfy as well. Sadly seem to no longer exist.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

Definitely try a pair of silk liners to start. Makes a huge difference to me.

Indeed this, for something so thin it makes a massive improvement.

• I bought the Galibier light winter gloves and have used in temperatures of 2-5degrees for rides of up to a couple of hours and really like them. I also bought some Decathlon gloves for about £15 that I really rate.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Best winter gloves I've bought aren't my expensive ones but the ones I bought from Aldi. I've tried ski gloves but they are a bit bulky. The chemical hand warmer things are great

This.

I have Aldi winter cycling gloves that are fine down to about -4° or so: and Aldi ski gloves that so far haven't been below -7° but seem fine at that.

No reason other than snobbery to pay more.
  • I use a thin pair of gloves I bought from Decathlon, £7,99, I can't find them on the website as a base layer, works wonders.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Does anyone have a recommendation for some decent silk liner gloves? There seem to be various ones available on Amazon/Ebay but no idea if they're likely to be up to the job. Mountain Warehouse seem to do some too.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Best winter gloves I've bought aren't my expensive ones but the ones I bought from Aldi. I've tried ski gloves but they are a bit bulky. The chemical hand warmer things are great

I have Aldi winter cycling gloves that are fine down to about -4° or so
    Sure enough, this morning...

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    They'll be fine then.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have these:

They are brilliant.

https://www.dissent133.com/

I think I have a code for discount, pm me if you want
    Insert bike here:
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    mrb123 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for some decent silk liner gloves? There seem to be various ones available on Amazon/Ebay but no idea if they're likely to be up to the job. Mountain Warehouse seem to do some too.

I wouldn't worry too much so long as they're cheap and thin, they look like rags after the first wash anyway!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    mrb123 said:

I use Meraklon liner gloves. They’re £5.95 a pair, just Google them. I’ve used them for 30yrs - started in the Army where I just wanted some thin gloves for when it was chilly, but not full on blizzard. They are fantastic and I use them by themselves - down below 10C, to 5C, when I will put another pair on! With windchill I will put a windproof glove over the top and that keeps my hands plenty warm.

I’ve got Dissent windproof outer gloves, and also their waterproof outer glove. The waterproof gloves are pretty good when paired with my liners, but the windproof, although it works as advertised, hasn’t lasted that long and I have a hole between thumb and forefinger from wear on the hoods. Only used them for two winters, not commuting, so at most a couple of times a week.

The dissent ‘mid’ thermal glove is just a Defeet glove rebadged. I already had a pair of them. I’ve found the sizing not to be right for me - fingers are a bit tight, and one of them about 1/2” too long, whilst the rest are just right! Very strange. As I’ve said though, the two pairs of Meraklon liners do just as good if not better for £5.95 a pair, and are less bulky.

PP

• *snip*........I have some ancient campag gloves and my hands have never been cold wearing them. You really feel like they are 3-4 layers of material with some insulation in there too. Bloody comfy as well. Sadly seem to no longer exist.

Are these the ones? They have other sizes too
    https://www.73degreesonline.com/campagnolo-thermo-glove-l.html

• I’d say layering is key. I used to really suffer with cold fingers but Sealskinz merino liners mean I can now wear pretty much any half-decent winter glove and remain warm. Currently using Endura Deluge gloves.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited January 2021
    webboo said:

If it’s super cold, and you can, warm up on an indoor turbo trainer, or whatever you have. Get your body / blood temperature up before you start a ride, and it’s far more comfortable. If you start cold, and ride in the cold, you’ll never ‘catch up’ . If you get good and warm before you set off, it’s far easier to maintain the warmth.

I fairly sure when you were milechumpster you claimed to never use a turbo trainer. Although you did talk of sitting up a turbo training coaching business.
    You’d be right as well. I hate turbo trainers with a passion, but they do have limited uses, this being one of them, the other couple of uses being setting up a new build before taking to the road, if you’re recuperating from an injury, or ( as of late ) you’re prohibited ( in some jurisdictions) from riding anywhere for real. I’ve got a cheap roller type turbo, it doesn’t get much use, but it comes in handy, rarely. The business worked very well, until lockdown / Corona bollix. It might not be my thing, but there are seemingly lots of people who do like them.
  • I’d say layering is key. I used to really suffer with cold fingers but Sealskinz merino liners mean I can now wear pretty much any half-decent winter glove and remain warm. Currently using Endura Deluge gloves.

Layering is good, but not so much with gloves. There’s not enough space in normal ‘fingered’ gloves to trap the air sufficiently. There is limited benefit, but it’s far better to get skin to skin contact, and go out warm.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2021
    Most of the advice I have read says to be slightly cool as you set off. So you don’t overheat, just carry another layer in case you have stop for any reason.
    Ski gloves are the way forward when it is really cold although they can get a bit sweaty if you are working hard.