Nostalgia Thread

Comments

• tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Stevo_666 said:

Getting served in pubs when you were well under age.
    Egg and spoon races/sack races at school.
    Firkin pubs.
    Sliding down snowy slopes on tea trays/poly bags.
    Grandstand video game.
    Peugeot 20GTIs/Renault GT Turbos.
    Banzai.
    The Ramones/The Clash.

Nova GTEs,, Astra GTEs
    Raleigh Grifters

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    tetley10 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Firkin pubs.
    Grandstand video game.
    Banzai.
    The Ramones/The Clash.

Nova GTEs,, Astra GTEs
    Raleigh Grifters

You reminded me:
    - Raleigh Choppers
    - Ford XR3is, Sierra Cossies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tetley10
    Stevo_666 said:

tetley10 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Firkin pubs.
    Grandstand video game.
    Banzai.
    The Ramones/The Clash.

Nova GTEs,, Astra GTEs
    Raleigh Grifters

You reminded me:
    - Raleigh Choppers
    - Ford XR3is, Sierra Cossies.
    I used to like the Sierra XR4i an all.
    Proper Takeshis' Castle

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Going into Boots on a Saturday afternoon and programming “10 print’hello’ 20 goto 10” on the in store demo C64 computers, and learning how to copy games from your mates using a double tape deck. Buying penny sweets especially the flying saucers. Going to the local roller skate disco rink thing with the ‘girls’. Top of the pops and No.1 records. 1/2p’s . Vienettas. Taking your camera films to the store and asking for express developing because you can’t wait any longer for your holiday photos.
  • tetley10
    Littlewoods catelogue
  • £ s d
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    wavefront said:

Going into Boots on a Saturday afternoon and programming “10 print’hello’ 20 goto 10” on the in store demo C64 computers, and learning how to copy games from your mates using a double tape deck. Buying penny sweets especially the flying saucers. Going to the local roller skate disco rink thing with the ‘girls’. Top of the pops and No.1 records. 1/2p’s . Vienettas. Taking your camera films to the store and asking for express developing because you can’t wait any longer for your holiday photos.

Half penny / penny sweets...going to the shop and asking for a 20p mix
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    tetley10 said:

Littlewoods catelogue

Lingerie section eh?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    wavefront said:

Going into Boots on a Saturday afternoon and programming “10 print’hello’ 20 goto 10” on the in store demo C64 computers,

Going into Comet/Currys and changing the password on the screensavers on the demo computers.
    The modern equivalent is going into car phone warehouse and setting all the alarms on the phones to go off at the same time (changing the pins is a bit mean because it's hard to get around).

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Seeing Concorde in the sky making it's transatlantic route.
  • elbowloh said:

wavefront said:

Vienettas still exist
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

elbowloh said:

wavefront said:

Vienettas still exist
    Found in the nostalgia section of the freezer aisle.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Do Vesta chow meins still exist or boil in the tin chocolate puddings?

Vesta were the height of exotic dining when I was growing up until the first Chinese and Indian takeaways came to town.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Vesta were the height of exotic dining when I was growing up until the first Chinese and Indian takeaways came to town.

Chocolate puds still exist but the risk of 3rd degree burns from pressurised, molten chocolate have been removed by microwaves.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    wavefront said:

. Taking your camera films to the store and asking for express developing because you can’t wait any longer for your holiday photos.

I've got a film that needs developing and printing. Currently working out about £10-15 for 24 :neutral:

• Pross
    thistle_ said:

wavefront said:

. Taking your camera films to the store and asking for express developing because you can’t wait any longer for your holiday photos.

I've got a film that needs developing and printing. Currently working out about £10-15 for 24 :neutral:

They'll probably come back with stickers all over them explaining the bad quality is down to over exposure or something. Better than being called into the manager's office at Boots to talk about what they found when developing the film though
  • tetley10

Seeing Concorde in the sky making it's transatlantic route.

Used to love this.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483

elbowloh said:

wavefront said:

Vienettas still exist
    We have taken to sticking one on the food shop every now and then. I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

wavefront said:

Vienettas still exist
    We have taken to sticking one on the food shop every now and then. I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed.

I think the thing was when they originally came out, the only real alternative was Walls vanilla, so they seemed exotic. We're rather spoiled these days with the choice of really good ice cream.
  • Pross

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

wavefront said:

Vienettas still exist

I think the thing was when they originally came out, the only real alternative was Walls vanilla, so they seemed exotic. We're rather spoiled these days with the choice of really good ice cream.
    There was Lyons Made as well (plus raspberry ripple as an alternative)
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    thistle_ said:

wavefront said:

Yikes! And there I was thinking maybe I should buy a few fresh rolls and dig out my old OM10 again!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    The simplicity of information content without the internet. I know we are more informed now, but to be honest I think there is a lot in phrase 'ingnorance is bliss'.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Holidays.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross said:

Apparently they do (amazed!), hideously expensive at the time and such a disappointment when I finally got one
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    From the other thread. State of the art pen printers.
    I was working on a project once that needed multiple copies of all drawing produced for the next day. Trouble was that the paper rolls would run out and need replaced along with the ink.
    Solution? A sanctioned and fully paid all night session (O/T 17:00 -03:00, printing finished @ 23:00) at the pub next door popping in occasionally to check progress.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

From the other thread. State of the art pen printers.
    I was working on a project once that needed multiple copies of all drawing produced for the next day. Trouble was that the paper rolls would run out and need replaced along with the ink.
    Solution? A sanctioned and fully paid all night session (O/T 17:00 -03:00, printing finished @ 23:00) at the pub next door popping in occasionally to check progress.

It used to be quite cool watching the pens go to work drawing away at warp speed. Annoying when a pen ran out or clogged up near the end though.
  • briantrumpet
    wavefront said:

thistle_ said:

wavefront said:

Yikes! And there I was thinking maybe I should buy a few fresh rolls and dig out my old OM10 again!

I did love my OM1 - the only electronic bit was the basic exposure meter in the viewfinder, but the rest of it was mechanical... and fantastic until the winder malfunctioned and needed a camera repairer with watchmaker's skills to repair it. But I loved the clunk of the mechanism when you pressed the shutter. I think it cost about £110 in about 1981.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    edited January 2021

wavefront said:

thistle_ said:

wavefront said:

I did love my OM1 - the only electronic bit was the basic exposure meter in the viewfinder, but the rest of it was mechanical... and fantastic until the winder malfunctioned and needed a camera repairer with watchmaker's skills to repair it. But I loved the clunk of the mechanism when you pressed the shutter. I think it cost about £110 in about 1981.
    I once had a Miranda, which was entirely mechanical so you needed a separate light meter. It was also good for breaking down doors on account of being mostly built of brass. Having absolutely no automatic features it forced you to learn the basics.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    Jeez did you guys have those flashes with powder and duck you heads under a blackout cloth to take the exposure?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

Jeez did you guys have those flashes with powder and duck you heads under a blackout cloth to take the exposure?

I did actually inherit my great uncle's Rolleiflex large-format camera, and that's not that far removed for from your caricature. I use it a few times, and it did take some lovely images.

As I mentioned in comments about compooters, it's amazing how far technology has come in such a short time - the OM1 was a great camera for the late 1970s.