Anti nostalgia

Seeing the nostalgia thread made me start thinking about the things I'm glad have changed or disappeared... so here are some of mine for starters
  • shiny toilet paper as standard - only any good for smearing
  • socks with darned heels
  • bike lights with massive batteries that only lasted a couple of rides and were rubbish anyway
  • film cameras that you might just squeeze 27 photos out of and you had to wait for the film to be developed and it cost a fortune, and half the photos were rubbish anyway
  • classical LPs that had scratches already when you bought them new
  • Andy Pandy

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    CBeebies
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Is CBeebies no more?

Miss that, I remember...
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Stewed liver and bacon. We were made to have that once a week when we were kids. 🤢
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Having to ask other people in the office to not use the phone because you needed to send an email.

Changing the roll of film in the fax machine.

Rusty cars

Terrapin classrooms with no heating system.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Old bands that haven’t moved on.

I am a middle aged bloke who went to festivals when he was younger and has re-started going with teenage daughter over last few years.

Some acts of my era have continued to make new music and move on, these can be worth watching.

However, there are typically bands from my era at a festival who are just re-hashing the music of that era. Zero interest in them at all. It just looks like middle aged men trying to recapture something. Both on the stage and in the crowd.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    johngti said:

Stewed liver and bacon. We were made to have that once a week when we were kids. 🤢

Noo, love it! :p
  • briantrumpet
    I think that the only food I never could stand was the lumpy blancmange with skin they did with my school lunches. No idea if it's still on the menu...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

I think that the only food I never could stand was the lumpy blancmange with skin they did with my school lunches. No idea if it's still on the menu...

Was that Living on the Ceiling? Oh, sorry, wrong Blancmange.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

johngti said:

I didn’t mind the bacon or the gravy but the liver was a massive lump of calf liver cooked to a fantastically leathery consistency. No thank you!!

Used to love a bit of blancmange though 👍

• johngti said:

Never tried (heard of) that one, now fried liver and black pudding, scummy!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    morstar said:

Is CBeebies no more?

Miss that, I remember...

It's its own dedicated channel. We watch a lot
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    johngti said:

johngti said:

I didn’t mind the bacon or the gravy but the liver was a massive lump of calf liver cooked to a fantastically leathery consistency. No thank you!!

Used to love a bit of blancmange though 👍

Ah, probably where Mum had middle class aspirations, as we always had lambs' liver. But any overcooked liver is yuck, I'll grant you that.
  • elbowloh
    johngti said:

Not at home, but it was a regular school dinner at primary school.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Doing all my drawing work using Rotring pens, having to clean the nibs and make corrections by scratching off the ink with a razor blade.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Doing all my drawing work using Rotring pens, having to clean the nibs and make corrections by scratching off the ink with a razor blade.

Oh yes, that reminds me: having to transpose trumpet parts by hand on manuscript paper.

Music notation programs are awesome :)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Being older
  • TippEx
  • Pross said:

A few revisions and you'd have to be careful not to go right through the paper!

And dyeline printers!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Slide rules
    Mechanical calculating machines
    Studying mathematics
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    edited January 2021

Pross said:

And dyeline printers!
    Paper? You were doing it wrong.
    Still got all my pens and instruments. The Casio calculator is still in use 40 years later.

PS - did any of the printers at yours still have all 10 fingers? 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Pross said:

And dyeline printers!
    Plus the ink would get into the scratches and spread.
  • briantrumpet

Being older

Were you older in times past?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Coopster
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

I did work experience when I was 15 at WSP and had to do layout drawings with Rotring pens. I bumped into the supervising engineer about 10 years later and he told me they used those drawings for years (they were for Westminster Central Hall).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Those ridiculous drawing chests that hung everything vertically and when opened would pin you to the wall with the weight of a few hundred sheets of mylar.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ford cars taking ten mins to start on a cold damp morning, if nothing else batteries have got worse.

Going to the scrapyard to buy car parts, climbing over piled up cars with a spanner.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

I did work experience when I was 15 at WSP and had to do layout drawings with Rotring pens. I bumped into the supervising engineer about 10 years later and he told me they used those drawings for years (they were for Westminster Central Hall).

I kind of miss drawing with a Rotring (and even miss a 2H). Scratching and cleaning the nibs was right pain though.
  • briantrumpet
    Oh, talking of old technology, forgetting to turn the TV on five minutes before the programme you wanted to watch, and missing the start of the programme.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591

Ford cars taking ten mins to start on a cold damp morning, if nothing else batteries have got worse.

Going to the scrapyard to buy car parts, climbing over piled up cars with a spanner.

"Yeah, just the air filter box. Honest Guv." 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

Those ridiculous drawing chests that hung everything vertically and when opened would pin you to the wall with the weight of a few hundred sheets of mylar.

Before catching your fingers in the hooks when closing it or the loops of the hanging tape sliding off and not getting put back on properly.