1 x 11 Conversion... Or not?

Hi all looking for some advice. I have a Cube Aim SL CMPT Hardtail. It has a 3 by 8 gear set up. The front gears keep jumping on gear change and wedges between the cog and frame. I have tried adjusting the front derailleur on the limit screw to no avail. There is a new chain on the bike. I am thinking of ditching the groupset and converting to a 1 x 11 set up. Any thoughts and how do I know which one to buy?

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited January 2021
    Have you tried the mtb half of the forum?
  • The chain was measured up and cut down. The gear changes on the rear cassette are spot on its just the front derailleur that has the issue I have checked everything I can think of but get this issue of the chain coming off quite frequently.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Why do you want to ditch the whole groupset if the back end works?

Go on internet. Buy the size of 1x chainring you want. remove all the stuff for the front mech, fit chainring, ride.

#sorted
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ATT OP that sounds like the derraileur is either not straight or too high or not adjusted properly.

Undo the cable completely, remove the mech ensure the cage isnt bent; clean and lubricate the mech appropriately and then fit from scratch.

Pay attention to the orientation of the cage in relation to the chainwheel. Go for parallel (there is some debate about the merits of having it slightly off but stick to parallel)

Pay attention to the height above the outer chainring when the cage is above it. it should be 1-3mm only

Fit a new gear cable and ensure the routing onto the clamp is correct.

Adjust stops

Pat yourself on the back for being a mechanic and start buying biketools and tool control foam and a Peli box.

Bore everyone rigid with your tool box tours and descriptions of your mechanical genius.

Sorted :)

When youve become totally tossy about it start dispensing wisdom on the internet.

Like me :D

• All, I have decided to run with fixing the gear mech I have got after getting stuck on top of the mountain with the bike jammed in top gear😡. I had to source a new cable clamp bolt which fell off somewhere on the mountain where I tried to fix the gears! The gear cables have been stripped out and replaced. The rear mech is running brilliant I now have to keep fiddling with the front mech to get that spot on.
    Thanks for everyone for the advice. See you on the trails 🚲⛄