Can I save my old steel frame?

Bicelli88
Bicelli88 Posts: 16
edited January 2021 in Workshop
Hello everyone,

I have this frame from a vintage roadbike. It looks like it didn't suffer from major impact and it's not bent. However I wonder if I can remove the rust and whether it is still safe to use and build a bike with it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    edited January 2021
    1st point - I'm no expert so you can probably ignore point 2. 😉
    2nd point - Surface rust which can be removed with a wire brush should be okay. Rust which has started to reduce material thickness will be a concern though.

Edit - Internal rusting needs to be checked too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Yeo - just take to your nearest paint shop/ metal fabricator and get them to sand blast it to remove surface rust and old paint. If it survives that then you're good to go. A nice red powder coat and job is jobbed
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021
    fill it with waxoil or however you spell it at the same time to protect it from the inside

#internal
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd see if you can blast to bare metal, so you can be sure it's not full of holes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2021
    if youre looking for a project and dont want to spend on having it sandblasted, you could get a polystrip disc onto it. Cost less than a tenner and used on an angle grinder. (they dont remove metal just the paint). you might get one that can be used on a drill if you havent got a grinder. Alternately if youve got access to a decent compressor then you can blast at home with a bucket of soda abrasive cheaply

Then set to in the shed. (wear PPE including face mask for this job).
    make sure you can remove the BB before doing anywork. no point if its not coming out.

Once its cleaned up check the state and repair as required. Re build and ride for another 20 years.
    Nice project, satisfying and it wont cost a fortune. plus you can paint it any colour you want.