Shimano to the UK

I wanted to order a new rear derailleur from Bikeinn and the page I book marked now reads,

"Due to the Shimano new regulations relating to distribution, we are not allowed to ship some products of this brand to United Kingdom"
I have only just spoken to Bikeinn on their Facebook page asking if their still shipping to the UK after Brexit and they say they are,but a lot of other bike shops the likes of Rose bikes and Bike-discount are not.
Very confusing why a Japanese brand can't be shipped to the UK,I may contact Madison and see what they say.
Also will the likes of Wiggle/CRC and Tredz up the prices?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    I believe that because of Brexit all goods from anywhere outside the UK is stuck and not coming through at the moment.

I'm guessing the cause is red tape and legislation with individual companies working out their own seperate shipping arangements?

More than likely in the future there could be an extra charge on all imported goods, included in a higher cost price or shown as a seperate amount? 🤔

Just my uneducated opinion as someone who doesn't care much for politics etc.👎😉

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021
    its exactly as above and its because of Brexit.

Madison will say exactly the same but tbh why should they care about Bikeinn or whoever? its just a company/ies on the internet. nothing to do with Madison at all.

And yes, they will - why should their profit margins take a hit?

#bluepassports
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I wonder if it's because Madison are Shimano's exclusive UK distributor and the new trade agreement means distributors from other EU countries no longer have the right to sell goods here? (via the likes of Bikeinn and Rose).

Although after the fuss about not selling bikes to the UK because of the right/left brakes thing, I think Rose said that they would keep selling components to the UK. Maybe that's changed now too.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2021
  • MattFalle
    thistle_ said:

I wonder if it's because Madison are Shimano's exclusive UK distributor and the new trade agreement means distributors from other EU countries no longer have the right to sell goods here? (via the likes of Bikeinn and Rose).

Although after the fuss about not selling bikes to the UK because of the right/left brakes thing, I think Rose said that they would keep selling components to the UK. Maybe that's changed now too.

No - its because of the new paperwork and taxes and faff. Until its all sorted its not worth Bikeinn/whoever's hassle to cater for such a small market.
  • I guess we shall have to wait till the dust settles :*
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm glad I have family in the EU.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

this, totally. And a second nationality, residency and passport.

Its all going to get expensive, complicated and very frustrating.

#sovreignty,innit
  • MattFalle

I guess we shall have to wait till the dust settles :*

you'll be waiting some time.

then welcome to the new import/export charges.

#straightbananas
  • Ben6899
    MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

this, totally. And a second nationality, residency and passport.

Its all going to get expensive, complicated and very frustrating.

#sovreignty,innit
    Gonna test the waters, soonish. Have something delivered to an EU address and then forwarded on to the UK and see what happens in terms of being asked for import duty or not.

Failing that, use the EU for things I don't need quickly and bring it back after visiting.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • thistle_
    edited January 2021
    MattFalle said:

No - its because of the new paperwork and taxes and faff. Until its all sorted its not worth Bikeinn/whoever's hassle to cater for such a small market.

Hmm you're right, I've just read the article that Ben's posted which explains it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It is nothing to do with tarrifs, quotas or stuff like that. But it is due to Brexit. The way vat is collected has changed as a consequence of Brexit. The vat rates are the same, until the UK decides to change it, so it's not the amount of vat. But the country outside the UK has to register and there is a charge for that, and of course some paperwork. Just like when goods move from the USA to the UK, or from Japan. For small markets (which we might be for Rose, for example), it may not be worth the hassle. But I suspect that is not the case. Many companies are just waiting for the air to clear, the dust to settle etc. In addition, it was widely forecast that chaos at the borders would ensue and that goods would be held in massive queues at the ports. So you can understand why companies would choose to avoid getting caught up in that. Once they can see more clearly, I'm sure they will continue. Money talks.

Leading up to Xmas, there were a lot of container ships moored off the ports waiting to dock. There are always queues at this time of year caused by orders for Xmas goods, food etc, plus some stockpiling for manufacturers seeking to avoid queuing caused by Brexit hold ups (!)

What is true is that buying Shimano components from a German company and getting them to export to the UK may not prove to be as cheap and convenient for the consumer as buying from a UK seller of Shimano components.
  • Maybe it will be al for the good... we will learn to value components a bit more and not replace them as soon as the new model of a slightly darker shade of grey comes on the market?
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

Hmm you're right, I've just read the article that Ben's posted which explains it.
    which article?

#knowledgeispower
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2021

Maybe it will be al for the good... we will learn to value components a bit more and not replace them as soon as the new model of a slightly darker shade of grey comes on the market?

or will stiff everyone who needs a new one due to something breaking/wants to build up a spare frame/doesn't want old stuff that doesn't work properly/doesn't actually want old stuff/just wants the new shade of grey and works for their money so they can darn well spend it on what they want?

Old component value is only if you want old stuff and the majority of us don't think its cool to leave work and jump on some 9 speed scratched up slightly bent 105. Hard wek at work? Come for a sunny Sunday ride on your biffed up Ultegra 6000.

Anyhow, if you can't get new stuff all that will happen is the price of old stuff will go up.

#ain'triding105from 2008
  • thistle_
    MattFalle said:

thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

which article?

#knowledgeispower
    The Brooks one posted by the MF known as Ben ;)
    #solderfumes
  • MattFalle
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

which article?

#knowledgeispower
    The Brooks one posted by the MF known as Ben ;)
    #solderfumes
    B)
  • Is anyone outside of the UK and if so can you see Shimano in the
    derailleur list of manufactures,all I see is Sram/Campagnolo and microshift as they had Shimano the other night when I looked?
    https://bikeinn.com/bike/bike-parts-derailleurs/4058/s
  • MattFalle
    Yup - Shimano showing for Italian customers.

Just change the country at the top to any country you want so long as they haven't fckued up and left the EU and you can get anything you want

#bluepassports
  • MattFalle

Boris Johnson? Ma che stronzo.

E quello Rees Mogg? Va f'ancuolo al mare

#noderailleurforgammon
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Oh well, looks like you'll have to get it from someone like Merlin Cycles instead

#littleenglanders
  • Ben6899
    Germany:

Ben

• MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

Germany:

#istgut,ja?
  • Buy British Shimano from a British website.
  • thistle_

Is anyone outside of the UK and if so can you see Shimano in the
    derailleur list of manufactures,all I see is Sram/Campagnolo and microshift as they had Shimano the other night when I looked?
    https://bikeinn.com/bike/bike-parts-derailleurs/4058/s

Does that mean you can buy SRAM/Campag but not Shimano?

Did Boris negotiate a SRAM & Campag free trade deal on the quiet?
  • Ben6899
    MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

Germany:

#istgut,ja?

#ganztoll
    Ben

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    MattFalle said:

Maybe it will be al for the good... we will learn to value components a bit more and not replace them as soon as the new model of a slightly darker shade of grey comes on the market?

or will stiff everyone who needs a new one due to something breaking/wants to build up a spare frame/doesn't want old stuff that doesn't work properly/doesn't actually want old stuff/just wants the new shade of grey and works for their money so they can darn well spend it on what they want?

Old component value is only if you want old stuff and the majority of us don't think its cool to leave work and jump on some 9 speed scratched up slightly bent 105. Hard wek at work? Come for a sunny Sunday ride on your biffed up Ultegra 6000.

Anyhow, if you can't get new stuff all that will happen is the price of old stuff will go up.

#ain'triding105from 2008
    The UK bike market, including spares, clothing , accessories etc is HUGE! There is no way that sellers will be turning their backs on it. Brexit is a big change, of course it is and there will be short term consequences, some of them will inconvenience us. But there is no need for us to get all gloomy about it. It will be temporary. Things change, life moves on. Apart from the odd spell now and again, on average, life has got better every single year for the vast majority of people.

Life can't be that bad if the worst thing that happens is that you have to put up with a 9-speed slightly bent 105 for a few months longer than you had planned.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Also be aware that carriers ie DHL, TNT, UPS etc have built in a surcharge to their pricing tariffs to cover the extra paperwork for moving items between the EU and UK.

TNT are charging an additional £4.60 per item. Exactly what the rest are charging is unsure, but I do a lot of work with TNT and they emailed us regarding these changes last week with a specific price breakdown.
  • MattFalle
    So, increased component prices plus less components coming in plus increased courier and postage costs.

Brexit - get in!

#nonstopwinning
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Covering costs is fair enough but I hope there is transparency.

After last year, I vow to take absolutely no prisoners. I will absolutely pay more to support those who have supported us.

My blacklist is growing quickly.