Other sports worth following

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

elbowloh said:

It’s just snobbery if you think darts isn’t a sport.

Its not. I also think Ice dance isn't a sport and that's hardly a working man's activity.
    I would argue that anything that involves a subjective decision to decide the winner is not sport
    Which I guess lends itself to lots of sub-categories.

Actual sports divided into games (football) or races (running)
    Judged sports
    Sedentary sports

Where does esports fit for the darts is a sport brigade?

Wrestling used to be shown on WOS. That’s athletic theatre.
  • morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Its not. I also think Ice dance isn't a sport and that's hardly a working man's activity.
    I would argue that anything that involves a subjective decision to decide the winner is not sport
    Which I guess lends itself to lots of sub-categories.

Actual sports divided into games (football) or races (running)
    Judged sports
    Sedentary sports

Where does esports fit for the darts is a sport brigade?

Wrestling used to be shown on WOS. That’s athletic theatre.
    Another category would be where equipment plays a pivotal role.
  • elbowloh said:

That would apply to football, rugby, hockey, etc and the decisions on fair play or fouls is subjective.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Has anyone actually given the case for darts not being a sport?

Beyond lack of exertion which is not convincing.

Darts requires vast amounts of physical skill to be good. It is a competition, that people follow, and has a bunch of professionals who compete with each other for tournaments?

How could it not be a sport?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

elbowloh said:

That would apply to football, rugby, hockey, etc and the decisions on fair play or fouls is subjective.
    Style marks then. The Olympic ideal is currently highest, farthest, strongest, prettiest.
  • rick_chasey
    Not a lot of love for gymnastics or ski jumping? Jury sport is quite well recognised.

I guess this is what happens in a post-modern world. People don’t even trust juries with very clear criteria.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Darts requires vast amounts of physical skill to be good. It is a competition, that people follow, and has a bunch of professionals who compete with each other for tournaments?

Ballroom dancing meets the above criteria.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect

Not a lot of love for gymnastics or ski jumping? Jury sport is quite well recognised.

I guess this is what happens in a post-modern world. People don’t even trust juries with very clear criteria.

Why does ski jumping need style marks? Why isn't it just longest?

Add to that the half pipe, synchronised swimming etc. No, they are athletic endeavours, but are no different from cheer leading, circus acrobatics etc etc. and they aren't really sports imo.

How would you feel about Chris Froome being docked 30 seconds for looking like an insect on his bike. Or promoting Bertie Condator for his exquisite out of the saddle style? Not exactly an improvement is it.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020

Add to that the half pipe, synchronised swimming etc. No, they are athletic endeavours, but are no different from cheer leading, circus acrobatics etc etc. and they aren't really sports imo.

How would you feel about Chris Froome being docked 30 seconds for looking like an insect on his bike. Or promoting Bertie Condator for his exquisite out of the saddle style? Not exactly an improvement is it.
    Should spend more time in pro race as I would love that. 😂😂

Why else do you think the UCI legislates on maximum sock length?

Anyway darts isn’t even a jury sport.
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

Are you saying this because you think competitive ballroom dancing is not a sport?

I think it is tbh.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

This is clearly why it is a topic of debate (despite your personal belief you had the final decree).

Personally the bit in bold to me is why it isn't a sport. And for fear of repeating myself, that in no way reduces the amount of skill or practice required to be good. It simply isn't a sport imho as there is no significant physical exertion.

I have found definitions that both include and exclude the exertion criteria from the definition of a sport. Here is the first search result from google.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sport

a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job:

I am not sure why you just dismiss the lack of exertion argument. To me that is what differentiates sports from non-sports. A game can be both a sport and a game (football) but a game is not by definition a sport (See Bridge or monopoly). Is table skittles a sport?

But it is clearly a grey area and a much debated one. Happy to agree to disagree unless somebody thinks they have the definitive answer or just wants to accuse others of snobbery.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020
    Oh relax what I say is obviously my opinion.

If golf is a sport which is consensus then darts is.

Shooting is an Olympic sport and so is archery. They’re as exerting.
  • First.Aspect

Golf requires strength and skill. Fitness not so much.

Darts requires skill only. It is as much a sport as origami.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Are you saying this because you think competitive ballroom dancing is not a sport?

I think it is tbh.
    Its not an Olympic Sport
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

At least golf requires a level of fitness to walk 5 miles or so in a round.

Darts is a bar game, not a sport.
    Likewise snooker, and skittles.

It may be highly skilled and require a lot of practice to reach the top levels, and may have professionals, but is no more a sport than many egames.

Still, certain posters like to put their own opinions forward as the definitive ruling, on many, many subjects. Perhaps reading how their posts sound before hitting the submit button might help.
  • morstar said:

This is clearly why it is a topic of debate (despite your personal belief you had the final decree).

Personally the bit in bold to me is why it isn't a sport. And for fear of repeating myself, that in no way reduces the amount of skill or practice required to be good. It simply isn't a sport imho as there is no significant physical exertion.

I have found definitions that both include and exclude the exertion criteria from the definition of a sport. Here is the first search result from google.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sport

a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job:

I am not sure why you just dismiss the lack of exertion argument. To me that is what differentiates sports from non-sports. A game can be both a sport and a game (football) but a game is not by definition a sport (See Bridge or monopoly). Is table skittles a sport?

But it is clearly a grey area and a much debated one. Happy to agree to disagree unless somebody thinks they have the definitive answer or just wants to accuse others of snobbery.
    But then you need a definition of physical effort as I would argue that if you were hopelessly weak you would not have the control to throw the dart consistently for a prolonged period of time
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

I think it is tbh.
    Its not an Olympic Sport
    No. Neither is CX
  • Oh relax what I say is obviously my opinion.

At least golf requires a level of fitness to walk 5 miles or so in a round.

Darts is a bar game, not a sport.
    Likewise snooker, and skittles.

It may be highly skilled and require a lot of practice to reach the top levels, and may have professionals, but is no more a sport than many egames.

Still, certain posters like to put their own opinions forward as the definitive ruling, on many, many subjects. Perhaps reading how their posts sound before hitting the submit button might help.

Just ignore the style and concentrate on the content
  • Oh relax what I say is obviously my opinion.

There speaks a man who has never entered a darts tournament (I’ll warrant). Trust me when I say there is both mental and physical exertion. I grant you there is nothing approaching the level of exertion required to win a cycle race (at whatever level), but there certainly is some. After a day on the board I’m well and truly knackered. Just like riding a bicycle, there are many levels, you can pootle around on your cycle at 5-8mph all day long without thought but it isn’t going to win you any races. Likewise the odd game ‘o darts down the local (whatever happened to the local?) isn’t going to win you the world championship, just saying. A bit o luck never goes amiss either

Thank goodness beer has calories in it :D

• Play darts for a couple of hours and believe me, your arm will be aching by the end so there's a degree of physical exertion although I accept not as much as in most other sports.

No wonder so many players like Eric Bristow and Mark Webster end up with repetitive strain injuries from playing darts.

I'm still not sure why it's so important for darts to be classed as a sport or not, either way IMO darts is great.
  • elbowloh
    TBF, you can get rsi from using a mouse.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you get arm ache from a game a darts I wonder if you can manage a w@nk. Good god this is a cycling forum where you would expect at least a degree of of physical fitness.
    Do you need assistance to get out of bed, get dressed or wipe your a@se.
    Darts is no more of sport than Chess.
  • elbowloh said:

TBF, you can get rsi from using a mouse.

oooooh Matron! I didn't think it was that sort of forum
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Does darts need to be labelled as a sport? It’s competitive entertainment. The competitors spend as much time training as most ‘sportsmen’ and deserve no less respect for it.

I would be interested to know if there was any drug testing in darts? I don’t remember hearing of a failed test. Performance enhancing drugs, beta blockers, coke (massive confidence boost) muscle relaxants etc must be a massive advantage where millimetres and total control over your body and mind means the difference between winning and losing. And we’re talking 6 figures sums in prize money here.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Ski jumping needs style marks because the way to jump the furthest is to crash. So broadly speaking in ski jumping, if you crash you get very few points, if you two foot the landing* you lose some points and everything else is noise. It's therefore wrong to really consider it a jury sport as it is distance that nearly always wins.

Separately, of all the sports I saw at the Olympics, I think ice dancing just edged the moguls for my complete inability to spot a good performance verus a bad one. This annoyed me as I thought I really should have some idea with the moguls.

*this only happens when someone does a massive jump and they are landing on the flatter, more dangerous bit of the hill. They therefore get lots of compensating distance points.
  • First.Aspect

Ski jumping needs style marks because the way to jump the furthest is to crash. So broadly speaking in ski jumping, if you crash you get very few points, if you two foot the landing* you lose some points and everything else is noise. It's therefore wrong to really consider it a jury sport as it is distance that nearly always wins.

Separately, of all the sports I saw at the Olympics, I think ice dancing just edged the moguls for my complete inability to spot a good performance verus a bad one. This annoyed me as I thought I really should have some idea with the moguls.

*this only happens when someone does a massive jump and they are landing on the flatter, more dangerous bit of the hill. They therefore get lots of compensating distance points.
    I know this, but there are obvious ways around it. And since the jump as far as they can anyway...

Boxing is one where it is hard to tell who won without seeing the judge's bank statement.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

I know this, but there are obvious ways around it. And since the jump as far as they can anyway...

Boxing is one where it is hard to tell who won without seeing the judge's bank statement.
    The amateur boxing scoring system does have some merit - at least it's immediately clear who is winning and what the judges are up to.
  • For those who like posh c.unts on boats.

Probably one for @Wheelspinner but America's Cup opening trial races start Thursday.

It's in New Zealand so coverage starts 2am on Thurs morning in the UK.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCo15ZYO_XDRU9LI30OPtxAg

Apparently UK attempt may be a bit poor as apparently the boat won't go up on the foils in less than 12kts of wind. Facepalm. Bankrolled by everyone's favourite brexiteer, Ineos

Nah not me. Never been a fan.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • And I quote!

Eric Bristow was awarded the MBE in 1989 for his services to sport.
  • webboo said:

If you get arm ache from a game a darts I wonder if you can manage a w@nk. Good god this is a cycling forum where you would expect at least a degree of of physical fitness.
    Do you need assistance to get out of bed, get dressed or wipe your a@se.
    Darts is no more of sport than Chess.

Chill dude, maybe go have a w@nk to calm down