Time pedals

Thinking of making the switch.

Who uses/has used them?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Been using Xpro 10s for ~18 months, no complaints once I got the cleat position sorted, besides the plastic cleats wear an awful lot quicker than the metal cleats for my old ATAC pedals.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I use them. Big fan - easy to clip in, nice amount of float but a bit weird compared to look (which I’ve also tried). They kind of centre your foot on the pedal nicely so as above, get the cleat in the right place to get the most from them.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I like the idea of a bigger platform.
    I have Look and it seems to centre pressure on one part of the foot too much. Can't blame the shoes - Sidi Genius 5's. which are stiff as you like.
    I have been riding Look pedals since 1993!
  • Been using Time for donkey's years, latterly some expresso 6s and 8s. They're really good pedals - lightweight, easy to engage and a big platform as you say. But I do wonder whether the cure for your problem might be more likely to be found from, say, custom orthotics rather than a change in pedalling system?
  • pinno
    Possibly.

But going back years to when I had the Christophe toe clips and straps and platform pedals, a lot more miles being covered and shoes that were not nearly as stiff as we have now, I do not remember this problem.

I have a high inner arch and use Specialized inserts - they help, especially on long rides but do not do much to alleviate that pressure spot.
  • I have used Time for 15 years, most models. They are good pedals and the larger platform and shape does seem to evenly spread pressure across the foot.

A couple of things from my experience. The cleats wear quickly and unlike other pedals/cleat combos once worn they will start to slip and disengage from the pedal.

I have had issues with the cheaper models; bearings going, metal insert on platform coming loose etc. The more expensive one's seem to be more robust.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Can't comment on whether or not they would help with any specific foot-related problems. Been using Expresso 4s for a few years now, moving from SPD-SLs just to try and de-Shimano my bikes after moving to SRAM.
    TBH they don't always hang correctly but that seems to be a problem with light pedals, not enough weight on the back. They seem to have a reputation for weak bearings, but at least one pair has done 10k miles without issue. They often get slated for quick wearing cleats, again no issues here although I don't walk much in mine. The pedal interfaces aren't walked on so although the tips do wear thin they don't really affect clipping in or retention.
    I did try moving over to Look Keo Max at one point when I got fed up of one not hanging right. They seemed much more 'secure/connected/strapped-in'. Maybe they had less float but they seemed to be more of a fixed position and one gave a few niggles in that knee, as though the alignment wasn't quite right and the float couldn't compensate. Have refitted the Times and have had no knee issues.
  • pinno said:

Possibly.

But going back years.......

There you have it, you're just getting old. Beard, pipe, slippers and an audax bike for you now.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Possibly.

But going back years.......

There you have it, you're just getting old. Beard, pipe, slippers and an audax bike for you now.
    Yeah, what's that like DHL?
  • I have solely used Time Atac pedals for over 20 years..have the same pedals on mtb and road bikes as use the same spd shoes..never had to replace or do any maintainance on any of them..metal cleats last for years..
  • pinno
    Good to know g.o.a.b.