Other sports worth following

Comments

• I don't think so. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are but there is a precedent for rescuing other sailors.

I wonder if alex Thompson can pick him up en route to Cape town.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

I assume this means le Cam is out as well?

He can carry on and Kevin will probably get dropped of on a navy vessel somewhere. He will be entitled to take some extra provisions to account for those that Kevin has eaten. Kevin just needs to not help him sail the boat. A protest committee will decide what time allowance he gets for his troubles. PR only retired last time as the outrigger supporting the mast got damaged in the rescue and on inspection it was deemed too much of a risk to carry on and at that point replacing it would have been outside assistance. You are allowed to give outside assistance just not receive it.
  • john80 said:

I assume this means le Cam is out as well?

He can carry on and Kevin will probably get dropped of on a navy vessel somewhere. He will be entitled to take some extra provisions to account for those that Kevin has eaten. Kevin just needs to not help him sail the boat. A protest committee will decide what time allowance he gets for his troubles. PR only retired last time as the outrigger supporting the mast got damaged in the rescue and on inspection it was deemed too much of a risk to carry on and at that point replacing it would have been outside assistance. You are allowed to give outside assistance just not receive it.
    many thanks

as a very casual observer if the foilers can't cope with the big seas then Cam could be sitting pretty
  • They definitely can as they 1-2-3 last time

What's remarkable about Cam is the age of his boat Vs other non foilers. It's ancient.

He struggled to get sponsorship this year despite his experience and I think the companies who rejected him will be a bit annoyed!
  • john80
    edited December 2020

They definitely can as they 1-2-3 last time

What's remarkable about Cam is the age of his boat Vs other non foilers. It's ancient.

He struggled to get sponsorship this year despite his experience and I think the companies who rejected him will be a bit annoyed!

Le Cam whilst he has sailed an excellent leg to the equator has been lucky with the conditions that enabled that upwind shortcut off the North of Spain. Dalin would have been a system or two ahead of Le Cam by the Horn. There is not enough upwind to tip the balance back and a lot of reaching back up the Atlantic. Their are plenty of ex Figaro younger sailors that deserve their big budget programmes.
  • Did anyone watch the F1 yesterday? Pretty entertaining race.
  • Pulev - Joshua tonight. Not sure how much of a difference age makes, but 39 - 31 seems like quite a gap.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Pulev - Joshua tonight. Not sure how much of a difference age makes, but 39 - 31 seems like quite a gap.

The ages in the Joshua Klitschko fight were 27 vs 41!
  • Found a live stream. About to start beating each other up.
  • mrb123

Found a live stream. About to start beating each other up.

Listening on the radio. Sounds like AJ well on top but being Joshua you can never really relax...
  • About right. Started off a bit slow but suddenly all over Pulev in round 3, flooring him a few times. Pulev has an immense chin and seemed to be getting back into the fight, although was taking a pretty thorough beating throughout. Round 8 seemed less one sided, but by then he was tired / weaker and AJ destroyed him in 9.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Battle Bots
  • I always enjoy watching Gaelic football and Hurling. Great games.
  • I always enjoy watching Gaelic football and Hurling. Great games.

Infinitely more entertaining than a bunch of posh cunts on boats.

• Triggered much by people sailing there tgd?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

I always enjoy watching Gaelic football and Hurling. Great games.

I think you might be confusing sailors with "boat owners" that keep a floating weekend home as a status symbol.
  • john80

I guess you have never been on a night out at a sailing event with a plumber,nissan worker, engineer, lawyer, doctor and a guy collecting tickets on ferries. I had a good time with those posh cunts.
  • Pross said:

I think you might be confusing sailors with "boat owners" that keep a floating weekend home as a status symbol.
    Posh cunts (the right sort) don't keep status symbols as they aren't insecure
  • You don't have to be posh to be rich.

You also don't have to be rich to own a yacht.

It's the competitive bores who spend money like it's going out of fashion who are the worst. They are not exclusive to being posh or rich. Most of them aren't c*nts either.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

My daddy played for Hurling Tipperary 😃
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn said:

My daddy played for Hurling Tipperary 😃
    Good stuff. Some of my mums distant cousins played for this great Dublin team, but with her coming from Mayo I'll be hoping for a massive upset on saturday.
  • For those who like posh c.unts on boats.

Probably one for @Wheelspinner but America's Cup opening trial races start Thursday.

It's in New Zealand so coverage starts 2am on Thurs morning in the UK.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCo15ZYO_XDRU9LI30OPtxAg

Apparently UK attempt may be a bit poor as apparently the boat won't go up on the foils in less than 12kts of wind. Facepalm. Bankrolled by everyone's favourite brexiteer, Ineos
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited December 2020
    The Witching Hour starts soon :smile:
  • Ricky Evans played really well against Michael van Gerwen at Alexandra Palace today, but Michael had the edge.
    He may well go all the way this year.
  • mrb123

Ricky Evans played really well against Michael van Gerwen at Alexandra Palace today, but Michael had the edge.
    He may well go all the way this year.

Yeah, looking back to his best. Possibly only Price at present could give him a problem on that form.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Is a pub game a sport?
  • morstar said:

Is a pub game a sport?

Well,
    "It (darts) was officially recognised by Sport England in 2005. When in 2010 Phil Taylor, the 16 times world darts champion, was awarded second place in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards, it was lauded in darting circles as a watershed moment in the game's battle for acceptance in the mainstream sporting environment"

Source: www.bbc.co.uk/teach/what-constitutes-a-sport/z4vfmfr

The Olympic Committee have said it may become incorporated in the 2024 games
  • A cracking Test series down in Australia
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Is a pub game a sport?

Well,
    "It (darts) was officially recognised by Sport England in 2005. When in 2010 Phil Taylor, the 16 times world darts champion, was awarded second place in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards, it was lauded in darting circles as a watershed moment in the game's battle for acceptance in the mainstream sporting environment"

morstar said:

Is a pub game a sport?

Well,

Thanks, an interesting perspective. I'm definitely on the darts is not a sport side of the fence. That's not to de-legitimise it in any way, it's still a popular activity.

I'd argue governing bodies have a tendency to want to empire build. Gaining an activity under your umbrella that has established professional structure, TV coverage and a revenue stream may lead to a lack of objectivity.

For me, golf is the fulcrum of the sport / non-sport debate. Anything more sedentary than golf is definitely not sport and anything more active than golf is a sport. Golf is debatable.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've also always been on the darts is not a sport side, but then I think if archery is classed as a sport, then so should darts.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk