Rouvy - everything you want to know

124»

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116

Hello,

I have a question about Rouvy, I use it now for a month and after the new update I have two times that the trainer disconnected to the Rouvy App, when I close the Rouvy app and start the app again it worked again. But I need to do the track again. I use Bluetooth from my MacBook. Also I use bluetooth from my iPhone for my AirPods. Is maybe that the problem?

So I decide to buy a ant+ dongle but this doesn't work right now with Rouvy ithink? It seems not working, I can use the same acceleration during a climb and with Bluetooth that's not the case.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Rouvy have two apps. Rouvy AR which is the newer one with drafting etc and Rouvy Workouts which is the older one.

Rouvy Workouts works with Ant+, Rouvy AR does not (currently).

My turbo trainer behaves much better on Ant+ than Bluetooth so I am stuck on the old version. There are some differences but other than racing with drafting nothing I miss hugely.
  • DutchBike23
    DutchBike23 Posts: 2
    edited October 2020
    Thx for your message!

Stupid that ANT+ is not working right now, on the Rouvy website it said:
    We are bringing great news to many friends of ROUVY. A long-awaited feature is finally here! ANT+ connection is supported in the ROUVY AR app!

Thats why I bought a ANT+ Dongle....

• I've been trialling Rouvy AR for about a week now and am still finding my way around but ANT+ works fine with Windows, so it could be a Mac issue. I think there has been a recent update - I am on version 1.2.2.48 which I was prompted to upload when I clicked on the "About" button in Settings, so perhaps you could look at this.

Also I have found that not all ANT+ dongles are equal, I had no success using a cheapo dongle from Amazon with other Apps, so bought a Wahoo dongle which works perfectly.

The problem I am having is that I cannot find the structured, power based, workouts - intervals and so on. Does anyone know if these are available on the AR version?
  • This might be a stupid question, but are you supposed to be able to just see the POV video when you're riding (like it appears on the promo material) or do you have to do something special?
    I can follow my dot on the Google Earth birds eye view map, but when I go to the 'video' option, all I get is this:

(You might just be able to see my avatar riding off into the distance - it's not following me!).

It's the same if I just try and watch another rider (so I can sit right next to the Wifi router to test if that was the problem).

Is it me, or is it Rouvy?!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not every course has an AR video. I have the app on iOS and can download the video in advance before I ride the course.
  • sherer said:

not every course has an AR video. I have the app on iOS and can download the video in advance before I ride the course.

In the AR app? They've all got pictures of a video on the selection screen
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

This might be a stupid question, but are you supposed to be able to just see the POV video when you're riding (like it appears on the promo material) or do you have to do something special?
    I can follow my dot on the Google Earth birds eye view map, but when I go to the 'video' option, all I get is this:

(You might just be able to see my avatar riding off into the distance - it's not following me!).

It's the same if I just try and watch another rider (so I can sit right next to the Wifi router to test if that was the problem).

That’s not right you should see a video, have you tried downloading it? If your broadband is too slow to stream
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I’d recommend ANT+ over Bluetooth any day of the week, BT is far too susceptible to interference
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I've had success with a downloaded video. It doesn't change speed with me, but I may have misunderstood how it all works.
    I hadn't realised that the workouts were on a separate app!
    That one doesn't work at all though - I don't have a smart trainer and it won't connect to my sensor (as Rouvy AR does) - it is ANT+, by the way.
    I think I'll just go back to Zwift...
  • It's bizarre isn't it.

The app store seems to indicate non smart trainers only sync with the workout app but I managed to get AR working yesterday.

Whether its like that for the trail period to get you hooked?
  • Mine was the other way round! Synced with the AR app, but not workouts.
    It didn't get me hooked, it got them chucked :D
    I've gone for Sufferfest as I had a code for a month free subscription...
  • When going downhill, using Rouvy with a Wahoo Kickr, I pass myself occasionally. Not sure why. I catch up without changing pace or anything. Anyone else seen this behavior? Any idea what causes it?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    itboffin said:

This might be a stupid question, but are you supposed to be able to just see the POV video when you're riding (like it appears on the promo material) or do you have to do something special?

That’s not right you should see a video, have you tried downloading it? If your broadband is too slow to stream
    I downloaded Rouvy to try over the hols. First I put it on an 17” Acer laptop, and it worked fine, but the laptop died. Tried in on an old corporate Dell, got the black screen as above. Tried it at work on the HP laptop I have there (I thought the issue was with just having Intel graphics on the Dell, the work machine is similar spec) it worked fine, in that the video displayed. Got a replacement for the Acer, a Dell again - get the black screen. Changed settings to make sure the AMD graphics card is used, still nothing. Downloaded a video, still no joy. Stumped.
  • rafletcher
    Well, got a response from Rouvy. Doesn’t really explain why my set-up isn’t working, but suggests down-gearing to the pre-AR version - Ididnt even notice there was a download for that available :/

They did send a machine spec, and it’s quite high. Win10 (with Creators update, whatever that is), i5, 8gb ram, and a 2gb GPU, but interestingly they specify either Radeon R9 200 series or NVidia GTX 650. I have a system with Win10, 16gb ram, i7, and 4gb GPU but it’s a Radeon R5.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    does it work with Apple TV?
  • rafletcher
    They say so. I replied to their support message saying “yes, down-grading the version worked but, why won’t the latest work on my system”. I got basically the same response back “downgrade and it should work”. So basically they have no idea / can’t be arsed to explain why it won’t run properly on my laptop, so sod ‘em for now. I’ve paid for a year of FulGaz and BigRingVR instead. Maybe I’ll check back with Rouvy next Christmas and see if it works any better.
  • rdt said:

Couple of questions re Rouvy:

- what sort of Android devices are people using it with, ie. phone or tablet? Is it actually usable on a phone screen (handlebar mounted) or are you mirroring/connected to a big screen also?

- what subscription level is recommended? ie. worth paying up for the 'premium' routes?

Not used it myself, just interested in learning a bit more about the options available to me...

I use a pretty new smartphone (one year old Xiaomi) connected to my wireless home network and the screen is mirrored on my home TV. Anyway I would like to buy an android TV box but I am not sure if it works smoothly. That's why I came across this discussion!
  • @super_davo I saw you addressed a lot of glitches using Rouvy with an android TV box. I would like to move in the same direction. Any advice for a specific solution or technical specs? I have a wahoo kickr trainer and would like to use my TV without playing around with the phone.
    Thanks
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116

@super_davo I saw you addressed a lot of glitches using Rouvy with an android TV box. I would like to move in the same direction. Any advice for a specific solution or technical specs? I have a wahoo kickr trainer and would like to use my TV without playing around with the phone.
    Thanks

I've stopped using it, now use my Ryzen 5 laptop. More because I don't have the space for the large TV where my turbo currently is than anything else.

It worked OK when I was using it but was always conscious of the fact it wasn't properly supported and updates might break it.

And indeed they have made some pretty major changes to the app in the last year, particularly the AR app, which. I have never run on the set up.

For what it's worth I ran it on an Amlogic S912 box with 4gb ram, it certainly had the grunt to run Rouvy fine but I don't think a basic Mediatek with 1gig would (especially not the more demanding AR app). So you need to be looking at mid range £40+ boxes rather than the basic £20 and unders.