Vittoria Corsa Tubeless Ready Problems

Only ridden about 100 miles on them and the rear "burped" on my last ride, couldn't get it to re seat at the roadside and so had to stick a tube in. Got home took tube out to reinflate and add more sealant but no joy....

I've tried everything, new rim tape, new valve, I have an Airshot inflator and no matter what I do I cannot get it to bloody well seat and inflate.

Rapidly running out of patience with Tubeless after ditching some dreadful Hutchison Fusions that punctured twice in 2 days with the sealant spraying out everywhere....

I think I'll just bung a tube in and be done with it unless anyone has any miracle tips?

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Tubeless need to be a tight fit and if this tyre/wheel combo isn't that could be your problem. An extra layer of two of rim tape might help before you revert to tubes.
  • Tubeless can be a hit and a miss with tyre + rim combo... once you find one that works, you should stick to it. Sounds like your combo is not ideal. More tape might help... if it doesn't work with 3 layers, I wouldn't go any further and would stick to clinchers with those rims...

left the forum March 2023
  • problem is not the tyre. The problem is your rim. The tyre is not locked to the rim and can slide off easily. I have mounted these tyre on kinlins before and they become firmly seated. burping practically impossible. On other rim without a bead lock feature or a very tight fit then burping is possible.

Read these blog post. it explains all.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/tubeless-tyre-and-rim-compatibility

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/living-with-tubeless-tyres

Tubeless tech is not buy this and that and hope it works. you have to know what your buying. its not hit and miss if you know. it is of you dont. the above guides take the guess work out.

Corsa TLR tyres suffer from alot of bead stretch so the intial fit is criitcal. It has to be tight.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Only ridden about 100 miles on them and the rear "burped" on my last ride, couldn't get it to re seat at the roadside and so had to stick a tube in. Got home took tube out to reinflate and add more sealant but no joy....

I've tried everything, new rim tape, new valve, I have an Airshot inflator and no matter what I do I cannot get it to bloody well seat and inflate.

Rapidly running out of patience with Tubeless after ditching some dreadful Hutchison Fusions that punctured twice in 2 days with the sealant spraying out everywhere....

I think I'll just bung a tube in and be done with it unless anyone has any miracle tips?

Those particular tyres tend to be a bit easier to mount than most, on most rims that I’ve tried them on. The downside is that they can do what you’ve found to happen, with some rims, but not always with others. Choosing the sealant you use carefully can help as well. I run tubeless on one of my road bikes, and on my Hybrid, and I have those tyres on the road bike I run tubeless on. I’ve found that Stans race sealant ( it’s got the red cap, not the version with the black cap ) works better / well, as it’s got twice the concentration of sealant crystals that many otter sealants have, and it will bung small holes quite well, and help seal the tyres onto the rim well. I have a really good tubeless repair kit as well
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-tubeless-repair-kit
    It’s this one, and it contains things like a selection of different sized anchovies a sharp blade for trimming the anchovies, and a reaming tool, as well as the anchovy fitting fork. It’s also got some vulcanising rubber solution / glue, which helps too.
  • So it wasn’t a burp but a 5mm hole just on the ridge between the tread and sidewall.

I have attempted a fix with some Aquasure and an old piece of tyre. Then I’ve used flexible Superglue on the surface.

Safe to ride or bin it?
  • PS Rims are A Force AL33 and a mate has had absolutely no problem with his and GP5000's. To Malcolm's point, the bead is so stretched that they pop on the rim with little / no effort required.
  • I doubt you will find them easy to inflate. I would take the hint and use a different tyre. The gp5000 are not a great choice either. The wet grip is not vittoria like, puncture resistance is only fair and one does not need the fastest tyre in the cold and wet.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Vittoria rubino tlr, hutchinson fusion5 all season or irc formula pro/ roadlite tyres are the best i have found. They are not all equal though. The hucthinsons are cheap and harsh, the vittorias are pretty good (i would actually buy them again if the price had not shot up when madison took over distribution) and the irc tyres are the best all round.

Anyway what wrong with you all dugast paris roubaix tubular tyres are superb. Mine have barely got a nick and i have been riding them in lots of slop. Tubular rims dont wear out as quickly and dont dent as easily. Plus you get to play with glue. Whats not to like.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • So you were spot on, it wouldn't re-seat no matter how much pressure I put in the airshot.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick them on the Archetypes Malcolm built me a few years ago with some latex tubes in. They've only done 200 miles or so.